When do you think rides will go?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which will go first?

Air
64%
Nemesis
36%

Total votes: 66
rhino18

^There are more people in the world than TTF members. Yes, I realise enthusiasts prefer Nemesis, I prefer Nemesis, but Air has - by far- the longest queues in the park. 80/90 mins is around average for a peak day, compared to maybe a 40 minute one for Nemesis. Yes, Air does have rather slow throughput, but it is also immensely popular, so back to my previous argument, you tell me why they would remove it. If you want to truly go and find out which is more popular, go to parliament and ask them to hold a national poll.....
lf2001

No, Nemesis is much better in my opinion.
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote:
rhino18 wrote: (possibly more so than Nemesis)
Show of hands.

Anyone prefer Air to Nemesis?
Are you trying to prove someone wrong or just interested?
Last edited by Danny on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

lf2001 wrote: No, Nemesis is much better in my opinion.
Don't mean to be rude, but did you even read my last post? I'm not sure which is more popular. I said possibly Air, due to it being more friendly for people with a low intensity tolerance, or based on the fact that the queue lines are often twice as long for Air, as they are for Nemesis. But you've just said Nemesis is better in your opinion. I prefer Nemesis as well, but it's not all about you.  :)
Last edited by rhino18 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

But Nemesis is still popular too. It also won the All Time Greats.
Last edited by lf2001 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^That is true, but it was 3 years ago. Again, as I said before, Nemesis probably is more popular and I like it more as well, but all I said was that Air was possibly more popular, due to the reasons I stated before.

Due to our opinions of Nemesis being the same, shall we end it here?  :)
Last edited by rhino18 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NemeJaney

I'm not sure about specific years, but I can see Rita going first, as she has regular problems and isn't the best in terms of theme and ride concept (in my opinion, anyway).
I can't see the 3 B&Ms going for a long while, but I think Oblivion will be the first to go out of the 3, as the simplicity of the circuit may cause a loss popularity. As for Air and Nemmy, Nemmy may be last as she tends to have less technical issues and seems to be more beloved (by me, at least, but I'm not sure what the public think :) ), but Air may last longer due to her age.
I wouldn't say I'm great at predicting the future, but one thing I am sure of is that I will cry when Nemmy is taken down.
Last edited by NemeJaney on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^I have to disagree a couple of your statements:

1) Merlin really don't care about if the ride 'fits in' with the theme. If they did, they wouldn't put Rita where it is.
2) Oblivion won't lose popularity, due to its short circuit, as the main emphasis on the dive coasters is the drop.

But again, it's partially opinionated.  :)
Rob
Admin
Admin

Air has longer queues simply because it has a slower throughput than Nemesis.

First coaster to go will be Spinball even after it's relocation. (If that happens)

Runaway mine train isn't going anywhere for at least another 10 years it's just had a refurbishment of its trains.

The Smiler will be around for a long time yet, it's not even been operating for a year yet and all new coasters have teething issues in their first year. 
Burniel

Rob-TT wrote: The Smiler will be around for a long time yet, it's not even been operating for a year yet and all new coasters have teething issues in their first year.
I don't remember any other secret weapons falling to pieces after a few months. Breakdowns, yes, but not breaking
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
rhino18

^Falling to pieces is a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, a few small objects have fallen from the track and trains, but it is a massive deal. These issues will most likely be rectified by Gerstlauer over the close season. I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens next season. But considering it was an £18m investment and will probably always be one of AT's most popular rides, it won't go until possibly even after a couple of the B&Ms, assuming it keeps the money flowing in.  :)
Last edited by rhino18 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

On the other hand, "teething problems" is a bit of an understatement ...

Look, you have your opinion, I'll have mine, but my prediction order is this:

1. Sonic Spinball
2. RMT
3. The Smiler
4. Rita
5. 13
6. Oblivion/air
7. Oblivion/air
8. Nemesis
rhino18

^Mine's actually quite similar:

Spinball - relocated to another park somewhere between 2014 and 2017.
RMT - Alton's oldest ride to go 2018 maybe?
Rita - will probably be sold on to another park in 2035, assuming it doesn't fall apart first.  ;)
Nemesis - in around 2040 it'll be 46 years old. Will probably also be relocated to a smaller park, due to ease of maintenance.
Thirteen - A family-type coaster, so I don't believe it'll last as long as Air and Oblivion.
The Smiler - will well and truly fall to pieces by this point.
Air - Around 2050.
Oblivion - Also around 2050.
Last edited by rhino18 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

You're not too far off mine, I think everyone's in agreement that spinball will go first
Themeparksandy1981

Also with Corkscrew, after Rita was built I don't think I had to queue more than 15 mins and many times it was only using 1 train.
Merlin are going to always try to get world beating coasters at Alton Towers & Thorpe Park as they know that's what gets extra guests into the park.
For me the Runaway Mine Train ain't been the same since it had the accident and as guests go for thrilling coasters the queue for it is usually no more than 15 mins. It is also the oldest coaster in the park. With that bit that goes over the backstage area with the bins it would have been good if they had added a mine.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenBowser

Order of leaving, first to last:

1. Rita - Poor capacity, breakdowns are frequent, costs a lot to run
2. Spinball - Poor capacity, ugly, in the worst area of the park by far and just generally crap
3. Oblivion - Close to park boundaries, near to the Ropers, has been taken to court
4. The Smiler - Will go the same way as the bat at Kings Island, closed more often than not

Other than that Nemesis, Air, Th13teen and RMT will last a while, still popular, decent capacity, no reason to remove them.
Last edited by BenBowser on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

nemesisben110 wrote: 2. Spinball - Poor capacity, ugly, in the worst area of the park by far and just generally crap
3. Oblivion - Close to park boundaries, near to the ropers, has been taken to court
Have you been on Sonic Spinball? If you have, you should find even though it's a 'filler' attraction it is generally very fun to ride. But, that is my opinion.

And do you seriously believe Alton will be forced to remove a highly popular, £12 million investment, because a couple of grouchy old people complain about it? Once a ride has been given planning permission, they don't often change their minds. Also, AT boosts the amount of tourism in the area substantially. Oblivion is easily one of the most popular coasters at the park. Removing would result in severe backlash from the press and public and financial losses in and around the area.
JoeK

nemesisben110 wrote: Order of leaving, first to last:

1. Rita - Poor capacity, breakdowns are frequent, costs a lot to run
Yet Rita remains as one of the most popular rides in park with some of the largest queue times. Also, you can hardly say its got a low throughput.
Kirsty25

About Spinball, the capacity isn't too bad its the throughput that's the issue, and the queue management by the teams on there. I queued 45 mins in the fasttrack queue with only 8 people in front of me when i joined the queue.

As for first to go, I'd kind of hope rita to be replaced by something similar!
rhino18

^Both the capacity and throughput are dreadful. 4 riders per individual car means that it takes a while to get the 4 people strapped in.

But hey, that's what you get for building a spinner right near the park entrance.  :)