2014 Park Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JammyBand

This is a little early, but since I had the thought earlier today, I have decided to start this small discussion.
I think its likely we will see a new map design for 2014, as the current one has been in use for 4 years now. The existing map at the moment is painfully unclear and un-realistic. The only thing that worries me is that they may decide to have the whole new map a garish mix of bright children's colours to fit in with the development of CBeebiesLand. 
Tom170499

To be honest, anything will be better than the last 4 years. I personally like the map they used in 1998: Image
PhoenixStudios

Honestly I didn't think the recent maps were that bad, but I wouldn't say no to a refresh.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

If they choose to redesign the map, I don't see them using Cbeebies type colours all over it as it isn't really all that appropriate. There's no doubt that they'll ensure that it stands out on the map (similar to what they've done with The Smiler on this year's map) but I should think that it will all be contained to that area of the park on the map.

It would be nice to see a new style map, and like you say, one which serves the purpose of being a map much better! For example, on my first visit to the park back in July, I ended up getting lost in Cloud Cuckoo Land whilst trying to head over to X-Sector using the map.
Tom170499

PhoenixStudios wrote: Honestly I didn't think the recent maps were that bad, but I wouldn't say no to a refresh.
I believe many would disagree. IMO there was no concept of a map, only pretty colours and drawings that vaguely represented rides. For example, on the 2013 map, Oblivion is backwards!? However, this is only my opinion and you are completely entitled to yours :)
rhino18

The 2008-13 maps have been dire. The whole point of a map is to be able to make your way around the site with ease. Unfortunately, Alton is owned by Merlin and therefore sees the 'map' as a foolproof method of marketing their park.

I liked the 2005-07 ones, personally.
tallicay2k

Yes I agree, the maps of late have been more "oooo look at me, pretty colours, but I ain't gonna help you!" If you look way back at the 1998 map that was posted, the paths were visible and helpful.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Chris
Admin
Admin

2007 and 2008 were great years in getting the park back on track in terms of marketing. Shame the park have since forgotten that a map is a tool required by a lot of people to navigate around their property!
Tom170499

A big improvement required is to remove the hotels from the theme park map and give them their own map. They take up too much room.
Last edited by Tom170499 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I don't know why they feel the need to include the hotels and spa anyway? You could always ask if you wanted to go there but unless your staying in the hotel why would you need to know how to get there. I'd much prefer a more accurate map for paths and routes to get to each area and some work needs doing on the ride illustrations I.e oblivion facing the wrong way and nemesis having 3 loops :lol:
DeanGaryCox

If you didn't know your way around the park, this map wouldn't really help at all... they have literally been awful the last few years; the whole idea of a map is to allow guests to find their way around that park, rather than showing the rides in a completely inaccurate fashion and using as many bright disorientating colours as possible!

Unfortunately i doubt we'll see the map change, besides the Cbeebies area, as I'm sure Alton will want to capitalize on The Smiler again after it's somewhat disastrous first year, and for many people who have visited this year and haven't got the chance to ride it will try and remind them to come back; wouldn't surprise me if we seen The Smiler adverts on TV again.
Image 2014
Danny

When you compare the space they used for the black hole tent in 2011 to how much space they use for the smiler now, and they're around the same size :lol: , it looks like The Smiler goes right down level with the entrance :)
Last edited by Danny on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

I would never refuse to give people directions, because it makes me laugh when I see that they have a park map.

2014 map: exactly the same as 2013, disorientating and stupid colours. Only change: replace "old macdonalds farmyard" with "cbeebies land", add a few cbeebies logos and hey presto.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
bluesonichd

I took my 13yr niece and her friend during the summer.  Gave them a map and let them loose in the park.
(They didn't want to walk around with a old fart fabulous withit older uncle)
Latter when we met up I asked if they found everything, she looked at me and said,

That map is so stupid., nothing's where it's supposed  to be, is like so wrong! What's the point in having a map.

Let's hope the 2014 map is a little more user friendly  :?
SuperWill

I love collecting Alton Towers maps each season but I really really hope that the 2014 map will go back to the 2006/07 style (Doubt it will happen though) to make it easier for new visitors to get around the park. :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Burniel

Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
jamesc

A Great idea to get the hotels off the map. Have one map for the Theme Park, one map for the Hotels & Water Parks, and one larger map for the Whole Resort.

Problem Sorted.
Last edited by jamesc on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
JammyBand

jamesc wrote: A Great idea to get the hotels off the map. Have one map for the Theme Park, one map for the Hotels & Water Parks, and one larger map for the Whole Resort.

Problem Sorted.
Except that it would cost Alton quite a lot more to issue 3 maps, and the fact that Alton put the hotels on the maps to advertise the business.
Mark.aa

Hope they don't go back to the 2005 to 2007 style maps.
They look too plain.
Looks like it was drawn out buy a Nintendo accountant.
Hope the do something on the map for Nemmys 20th.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

I hope they make a new one where you can guide your way through the park with it. My favourite maps are the 2007, and 1998 ones. As they actually help you find your way round the park, where as this year's doesn't..