Possible idea for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory IP

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
roary01

(Ive just recently seen the new Charlie & Chocolate Factory Musical, It's Amazing and got me thinking...)

Hi,
I know people will really hate me for bringing this up, but with the new big budget musical in london, this would give Alton a BIG chance to re-do and bring back the Charlie IP.
My idea would involve re-freshing the ride with additional theming bringing it up to scratch, and bring some of the characters to life, (Wonka, Oompa Lumpas, Charlie). This could either be a stage show outside the factory or nearby, using the music from the new show. Put the long-needed shop at the end of the ride and open it up to the public instead of it been a dead space. Selling the new Wonka bars brought out by nestle alongside the wonka sweets. I really think it would refresh this area, and give a new show, new characters, push the musical/soundtrack and also the musical pushes the newly refreshed alton towers ride.
It just seems like the perfect time to bring back the ride and give it some love and attention because the Charlie/Wonka brand seems to be having a comeback. Big new musical, New Wonka chocolate, refurbished wonka themed ride?

what are peoples thoughts?
TheOutpatient

John Wardley made this point about how the Fifth Dimension ride (that's now Tomb Blaster) was theatre, put into a ride. I think that's true of quite a few dark rides when you consider how there is a quite a bit of overlap in the technology and the techniques used to entertain people.

I'm guessing you've seen this show and have come away smitten - and rightly so, theatre often does that to people. I know that when I've been to the theatre, I've seen great illusions that I know can and have been transferred to dark rides. Quite often they do the trick with the shark tooth scrim to make it disappear and the lights run through various pre-programmed sequences to incredible effect, or they use fog. Music is the other thing. As some people know, the original music for the Haunted House came from the Peter Rabbit on Ice show that ran at AT man years ago now. That music was well loved because it was dramatic, magical and dark in places - it makes me feel there probably is a lot of talented people in the theatre including musicians and score writers because they produce music that way all the time. They create medleys, songs are blended together and they can probably write a decent segue between 2 songs at the drop of top hat - I had a music teacher who was kind of like that - these people are classically trained.

There's actually a lot of underrated talent in the theatre just in general. I think it goes to waste because theatre can be a bit brainy sometimes but the question here is how much of the set design/building, how much of the special effects and how much of the music skills can be translated over to dark rides.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/