Alton Towers - Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
iburnthings

Going tomorrow with our free sun tickets. If you don't have early ride time can you still enter the park and queue for a ride that opens at 10 or queue for the smiler? I remember last year we went and they didn't even check and just let everyone on nemesis at 9am. Just wondering if we should turn up at 9 or not.
Dan

iburnthings wrote:Going tomorrow with our free sun tickets. If you don't have early ride time can you still enter the park and queue for a ride that opens at 10 or queue for the smiler? I remember last year we went and they didn't even check and just let everyone on nemesis at 9am. Just wondering if we should turn up at 9 or not.
I'm afraid not.

They now check ERT tickets at the Battle Galleons lake, and they have barriers preventing you from getting past Sonic/Mutiny Bay.
Kirsty25

iburnthings wrote:Going tomorrow with our free sun tickets. If you don't have early ride time can you still enter the park and queue for a ride that opens at 10 or queue for the smiler? I remember last year we went and they didn't even check and just let everyone on nemesis at 9am. Just wondering if we should turn up at 9 or not.
They were holding people on sunday when I went. We had to show tickets/MAP to go through by battle galleons. Everyone else was held at the lake until 10 am.
Benji

Hi this might sound like a stupid question but can you use your MAP on the date it says it expires? Im planning a trip to towers on tuesday which is also the day it runs out and just wondered if i'd be allowed in, Cheers
Kirsty25

I believe so yes.
KatangaZebra

I don't know if this is the right topic, but here goes...

Last time my family and I went on Duel, I loved it even though we had to buy me some soothers on the way home (please don't laugh).

In May last year, we went to Alton Towers with my family as well as my sister's friend. We were going to go on duel as a group of 5 after lunch, but my mum chickened out because she's scared of it and the zombie outside. We went for my birthday in September and she still wouldn't get on it.

I will admit that I am kind of scared of it too (again, please don't laugh), so I've tried telling her that I'm being "brave" going on it. So what I'm asking is, how can I get my mum onto duel? We're going tomorrow so please reply quickly :D
Zach

Best thing is to remind her it's just a ride and that there's nothing real in there, you've been in and come out fine :) maybe try bargaining by saying just do it once see what you think and you'll buy the photo. Might be also worth mentioning it's less scarier than it looks because you spend more time focused on shooting the target you don't have time to really get scared :)
KatangaZebra

Thank you so much! She said she'll go on it!
jon18uk

We got a7 year old on it by telling her she can shoot back at the scary things with the gun, that seemed to work, she was so busy concentrating on shooting the scares were less.
KatangaZebra

jon18uk wrote:We got a7 year old on it by telling her she can shoot back at the scary things with the gun, that seemed to work, she was so busy concentrating on shooting the scares were less.
I'll tell my mum that now so that she can't back out. Thanks! :D
Lee

There's also the added point that a fair amount of the effects no longer work ...
KatangaZebra

Thanks guys xx :D
davey_will1980

Hi All, quick question which my friend has asked me about and I don't know the answer.

He's going to go down to Alton later this year to visit the theme park, he's seen previously that they have the comeback tickets for the park, however do they do a similar thing for the water park, so that if he visits the theme park one day he can go back the next to the water park at a reduced price? I'm not sure if he's staying at the hotel on site or one near by. Any advice would be really appreciated

Dave
Inferno Attractions

I was just wondering if there is any way of going on the rides in the dark without going to scarefest? [-o<
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Zach

Inferno Attractions wrote:I was just wondering if there is any way of going on the rides in the dark without going to scarefest? [-o<
Yes there is IA, going to the fireworks event :) other than that I can't imagine there is as the park doesn't tend to open late enough for it to get dark unless it's scarefest or fireworks, it could be possible it would be dark towards the middle of October at closing but that wouldn't be dark like at scarefest or fireworks just dull.
Inferno Attractions

oh yeah completely forgot about fireworks DUHHH #-o

Thanks TheSmilerMan
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
chrisgeorgiou46

We're planning on going on Monday June 9th. I wanted to know how busy the park would be, according to you experts :D I don't expect it to be too busy, but give it to me straight. Also, we want to go on all the best thrill rides, as well as the rapids. Will the smiler have insanely long queues? Is it better to just avoid the smiler, since most people will be queuing for that? Ideally we want Smiler, Nemesis, Oblivion, Thirteen, Rita, Air, Spinball, Rapids, and possibly the flume and runaway, and any other rides that can be fitted in between those. Ideally I would like someone to literally give us an itinerary of the order of rides, what time we should aim to be on them, the route we should take to get there fastest, the best time to have lunch, which rides will require single rider (if there are single rider queues at alton) and just any tips!!!! Okay, back to revision. After tomorrow my first year of uni will be over and I can finally get drunk after a month of staying in and revising, and then go to alton. Cannot bloody wait!
Lee

Monday 9th June shouldn't be excessively busy usually. However, it is very dependent on when the schools trips begin. Traditionally this was the end of June/early July; however some schools have begun to take their trips to the resort in early June in the hope to beat the queues. This trend seems to be continuing and therefore it's a little harder t predict gate figures these days. However, a Monday is a good day to go as many schools will go mid week onwards.

As for your day plan - that's hard to gauge and is very personal. Each member here will probably tell you a different plan of action. for me personally, I'd head to The smiler first and get that done. Queues for rides aren't excessive, and The Smiler generally is around an hour during off peak season. I'd then work around the park via Dark Forest, skyride to Forbidden Valley and walk towards the rapids. You'll have plenty of time to fit the majority of the attractions in. In terms of food, id suggest Woodcutters Bar & Grill just outside Hex. Head there after you've done The Smiler, Rita and Thirteen at around 11:30-12 and you should beast the dinner rush.

Top Tip: After the park closes, get the Monorail to the hotel and have a drink there for half an hour. It's a chilled way to beat the traffic jams that build up as people leave. It's better to be sitting having a nice relaxed drink than be stuck in a car going somewhere very slowly.

I hope you have a fantastic day, and don't forget to let us know how it was :)
chrisgeorgiou46

Thanks Lee!!! I've been to alton once before during the peak of summer but I got an ultimate fast pass for my birthday along with my brother so we got on everything with ease. I remember front row Rita in the rain, the raindrops felt like needles on my face at that speed; it was so painful lol, but still the Best. Birthday. Ever. This time around it will be more tricky, so I appreciate the help!
Kirsty25

I would say 9th of June will be pretty quiet.

I would start with Forbidden Valley, then work back, Duel, RMT/rapids etc, then Dark Forest. Aim to hit Spinball and The Smiler (and Oblivion) around 1-3pm as they were quieter at that time when I went the other Sunday, then go Dark Forest and any spare time you have, do some rerides!

I would agree with delaying your exit from the park to avoid the huge queues to leave the car park though!