The Smiler over closed season 13/14

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jammydodger

I hate to play devils advocate, but Oblivion and Air didn't have their track separate from a bolt coming loose, nor did they consistently stall during early testing....

The ride seems mechanically sound, its the craftsmanship that's at fault...
Kirsty25

I would like to think they'll do something about the other rumoured structural problems that I heard about while I was on park last week. I do have to agree with Jammydodger. The ride has been plagued with problems, yes they take time to run in, but since the original opening date March (bare in mind it didn't actually open until the very end of May) has had 5 days closed, 4 days closed and a further 2 days this week, plus the days it was closed when it stalled. I would estimate that since March, it has been open around half the season, and I dread to think what will happen in October and November as the weather gets worse.
Zach

Kirsty!!!! What rumours do you hear ?!
Kirsty25

I can't possibly condone the spreading of rumours on the forum, as without evidence they could be seen as slanderous towards Alton Towers. If evidence comes to light to prove the rumours true, that would be a different matter all together.
Thorpe Towers 13

1) look into the breakdowns and sort it out.
2) Sort that tunnel out. Add some smiler faces in UV, Smoke, Light whatever! Do something!
3) maintain it.

I love smiler and got in it the month it opened, best ride of the day. Just hope they can keep it up.
hands in the air and scream!
DeanGaryCox

In order of priority - and realistically what they can/will do...

Sort out the general maintenance of the ride, and look into why it's so unreliable...

Fix the drainage issue in some way as it appears to have caused problems (as taken from RideRater and would seem to be true - 'We understand that any prolonged or very heavy periods of rain during the rest of this year will cause The Smiler at Alton Towers to close temporarily. Measures are in place to deal with the ride site's poor drainage, but they are not able to cope with high levels of rainfall. It is unclear whether more permanent civil engineering works will take place during the closed season.')

Fill the indoor section with lot's of smoke/mist so you can't see that it's basically a warehouse, in turn would make the strobe effect look much more effective as well! Alternatively look into adding the 3d mapping as shown in the advert for the indoor section - although i can highly say that's low on the list of their priorities with all the other problems even if it was in the original plan and they ran out of time (or everyone complain like they did with krake at heide park so they'll add it haha)

Possibly adjust the track of the first inverted drop and the exit of the cobra roll - apart from those 2 bits which i felt regardless of what row i was in, the rest of the ride seemed fine to me :)
Image 2014
Deejay

Ultimately the re-profiling of the top section and the cobra roll are important as their new machine is a torture device, people are coming off it with massive bruises. That is never good for a new attraction.

I heard that the Merlin bosses were unimpressed with the look of the station facia so I could see that getting an overhaul.

Drainage is very important as I ruined a perfectly good set of shoes down there one wet summers afternoon.

That is my wish-list, we will see is anything gets done about it.
Altontowersbarlow

I would just like the exterior of the station to have more theming added and keep all the effects working. apart from that it is only a small thing in my opinion to add more smoke or lights to the indoor section :)
Jack

Strobe for the flasher tbh, it doesn't do anything atm, it just shows a bit of light and that is it

And may I also suggest they do something exciting with the fins (old speculation joke :lol:)
SmileyMan

jackandylan123 wrote: Strobe for the flasher tbh, it doesn't do anything atm, it just shows a bit of light and that is it

And may I also suggest they do something exciting with the fins (old speculation joke :lol:)
You know maybe have a launch on the lift hills, or maybe even a reverse freefall! :D You know what, I heard speculation that the washing machine effect was spotted, ready for installation :D
Danny

They won't add launched lift hills as it's meant to self duel.reverse free fall is the same. And we all know the washing machine will never make an apperence on the smiler. It has enough inversions already.
Burniel

The smiler knocked down?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

danny.g97 wrote: They won't add launched lift hills as it's meant to self duel.reverse free fall is the same. And we all know the washing machine will never make an apperence on the smiler. It has enough inversions already.
Mate it's a joke on the old speculation topic ;)
TheOutpatient

Am I the only person who thought the wash machine effect would be boring? Coasters perform a similar motion already.

I would like the glass floor to be sorted out but I don't know. If they put flaps on the doors like the exit for sub terra does that help people shop lift? I feel like that light is supposed to help illuminate the tunnel beneath it. What I do know for sure is that smaller grip dots are available.

Just another thing - I know some people are finding certain seats quite intense. There has been a lot of feedback about ride roughness with a few rides, so (as of right now anyway) newer rides will maybe be a bit smoother,
but when these rides come along, I think they will add value to more intense coasters because people will go to a harder ride for achievement and a slightly different experience. Its good to have both intense and smooth coasters.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Th13TEENGUY

Ilovecoasters wrote: The smiler knocked down?
Please go on the ride before you make such a harsh judgement on it.
LCFC til i die
SwEDEN

Ilovecoasters wrote: The smiler knocked down?
But then all you'd be left with
*takes off sunglasses*
IS A BLACK HOLE!
*YEAHHHHHHHHHH*

Sorry terrible pun time over, but in all seriousness due to the outstanding amount of work that got put into making it, and the general public's response to it (you know, when it's open...) people are generally happy, so I can't see anything happening to this ride (in terms of movement) for a couple of years at least...........
Burniel

Oh yeah whoops I forgot th topic was called "what do you think will happen" and not "why do you want to happen"  :lol:
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Lee

Everyone is within their right to give an opinion or prediction of what will happen during the closed season.
If we could however try and put some substance or reasoning behind comments, as apposed to bold statements.

glen191

This closed season Merlin should be spending its time trying to put the old magic back in the park,by giving all the coasters a real good service including all the systems to try and cut down so much downtime.they also need to get a paint brush out and give the park a good once over and Britten up the place.AT has proberbly got the best coasters in the land but please put some of the old magic back into the park.
TomL

Whatever candy thinks is missing or not good, she will try her best to fix! For example, she thought the swarm was missing something and so added the billboard i think....