Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
tallicay2k

Dynamo sat where sub terra is
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

Ah yeah, ok. Sorry, I honestly thought you were talking about Energizer.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
tallicay2k

TheOutpatient wrote: Ah yeah, ok. Sorry, I honestly thought you were talking about Energizer.
It's alright man no worries...even tho I could of got offended by you getting Dynamo and Energizer mixed up  :lol: ;)
But ill let you off :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

lol ok good.
I thought it was an old/new name for it: dynamo - power, power - batteries, batteries - energizer
but I see its...what a 'Breakdance'? (as in name of the system).
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Jamie

I'm sure that Nemesis Sub Terra will be around for a while yet - they went to a lot of effort to make it.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Liam-AltonTowers

just a thought, what did everyone think sub-terra actually was before any of the plans were released?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
TheOutpatient

I can't find the picture but the one I remember,was some kid who thought that basically,
the gondola shaft was in the middle and instead of having just 2 layers (egg display room & cavern) they thought there would by many scenes on different levels extending slightly from the perimeter of the sub terra building.

It use to come up on google image search when you searched for Sub Terra I think but not now.
Burniel

Liam-AltonTowers wrote: just a thought, what did everyone think sub-terra actually was before any of the plans were released?
As I said my dad thought it would be nemesis underground. Like an actual coaster
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Altontowersbarlow

TheOutpatient wrote: I can't find the picture but the one I remember,was some kid who thought that basically,
the gondola shaft was in the middle and instead of having just 2 layers (egg display room & cavern) they thought there would by many scenes on different levels extending slightly from the perimeter of the sub terra building.

It use to come up on google image search when you searched for Sub Terra I think but not now.
Is this what you meant :)
TheOutpatient

Yep, thats precisely it!
Is that yours?
Altontowersbarlow

TheOutpatient wrote: Yep, thats precisely it!
Is that yours?
No I just remembered seeing it :)
blacksnake

Went on NS-T for the first time last Thursday with my lad. Knew nowt about it other than it was a drop tower ride.

Q time was posted at 35mins (appx midday) but with the FP stalling the main Q it was closer to an hour. During said hour, I was asked at lest 3 times if this was the Q for Nemesis.
"No, this is Nemesis Sub-Terra!" ....
"Oh!... What's that then? Is it a roller-coaster?"
"No."
"Is it a ride?"
"Yes."
"What kind of ......."

Well, you get the idea. No one, myself included really knew what we were Q-ing up for. People at the front of the Q were ushered into a green metal box the size of the 'gents toilets'.... No shouts, screams or obvious ride noises came out of the 'gents toilet'.... then another group moved into place....

"Are you sure this Isn't Nemesis?"
"Yes!"
"But it's definitely a ride?"
"Yes!"
"But what kind......."
"AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!"
:evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

Ahem!... Well anyway, we all know the end result of the ride now. The suspense, anticipation and the intensity of the well themed ride are really all it's got going for it. And although I'd recommend it (without giving a spoiler away) I wouldn't go on it again. Most people are either curious, see a short Q, or are in the wrong Q.

They've gone to a lot of effort, and utilized the minimal space available to produce NS-T, so I would predict a Re-Themed ride using existing drop tower rather than it going altogether.
What Goes Up, Must Go...........AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
Stellafella

The prob i find is inconsistency.
Went on it last year....go into first room and got balled out by the actor.
When they were getting us all out the lift the door opened and guy with torch jumped in and got in faces and pushed us out.
The was more great actor bits on the escape corridor.......and at the end u ran out the door into the open looking like u have just had the fright of ya life.

Went on last week on a real quiet day on park as most kids had just got back.
Actor in first room just said stand on a spot with no emotion.
Escape corridor was more of a quiet walk with not a lot of interaction.
Everyone wandered into the outdoor area like nothing had happened.

If this ride needs to be shut out of season then so be it cos in my opinion it has to be 100% intense with the actors each time. They are what make the ride in my opinion.
TheOutpatient

I reckon (even from an early stage), the actors change their intensity depending on who's riding so we must bare that in mind. If their is middle aged or very young people riding I can see good reason not to be really full on with jump scares.
I actually saw a good soft-edge jump-scare - a guy suddenly light his face from beneath with the torch, it causes a small jump/gasp but nothing too frightening.

(Also you have to remember these are people so are subject to an amount of randomness and variation!)

I guess you can class the different scares;

1. None-jump scares; A fast approach is made towards when the guest has already clocked the actor
2. Soft Edge jump scares; e.g. Appearing suddenly but silently
3. Hard Edge scares; Appearing both loudly and suddenly
Kirsty25

Our actors today were rather forceful, deffo the best I've seen this season, though the scaremaze needed more actors for my liking, we had one guy come pushing into the lift before panic evacuating us...
RobStandley

The theme'ing and shock factor first time round is brilliant! As previously said, going on it with someone who doesn't know what to expect makes it even more worthwhile! Once you've been on it a few times, the anticipation of the drop also adds to the ride experience. It's a solid ride and well worth the 30 min que on a busy day imo.
KoasterKraver

They could add a few effects, like the ones they used in the boiler house
Deejay

Personally it is one of my favourite attractions at the resort. I have only had great rides on it, everytime a take a noob on it I refuse to tell them what happens before! My portugese friend was convinced we were actually going down in the lift.
Lee

People really slate it, and it drives me insane.

I do think the 'acting' is wholly pointless. Government sanctioned agents would not scream and shout at tourists, they would just be very militant. As I've said previously. It's a good filler attraction, that swallows some queues from the general area. People forget that there was absolutely nothing there before in terms of free attractions. So for once, we as enthusiasts gained without having anything removed.
Ripsaw Raver

Contains spoilers

I think Sub Terra's future is very solid. For me it is one of my fave rides out there, simply for the cinematic and theatrical nature of the ride. And for me its rides that make the guests part of the story THAT BRING THE MAGIC BACK!
Sub Terra is the dark ride that FV needed, cementing the areas theme and for new comers explaining the areas back story.

For those who say its not scary, all you have to do is listen to the screams when the lights go out in the egg chamber,And lift back up is a great section too. My only gripe is the Scare maze section, alot more could have been done. The section where you get exit the lift could be a separate holding area with metal doors leading into the scare maze, guests are told via the female tanoy You are under phalanx jurisdiction-and are under quarantine,You will not leave phalanx control.Infection has spread and you will be contained for public safety.PHALANX OPERATIVES WILL USE ANY FORCE NECESSARY IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLY!" Strobes and nemesis noises are heard in the background. An actor rushes through the doors from the scare maze covered in blood and shouts to get out before lock down,and that others have succumbed to radiation and infection. He then pushes the doors open and shouts GET OUT NOW! Everyone then rushes into the maze- the actors look as if there trying to keep everyone in and you have to escape for your life into daylight.  That way the finale makes more sense.
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123