Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ripsaw Raver

i Think we need more of an explanation as to why you drop. Here is my understanding

In order to excavate one egg and get phalanx into the egg chamber they had to create some kind of transit system, This system was 4 lifts down from sub level 3 down to the egg chamber.
After discovering the eggs and the chamber was dangerous the lifts were locked in place and now operate simply as the viewing area. The Bars remain only from the old lift usage.
We have a power surge egg breaks. And then the unthinkable happens,The Locks on the lifts de-activated plunging the lifts down into the egg chamber-Forced to stay there the eggs hatch and your locked in with no escape. Just as the creatures start getting close, the back up generator kicks in slowly lifting the seats back to position and locking once again.But its too late the creatures are advancing and the quarantine procedure begins which everyone narrowly escapes. To only realise on there accent that was also a failure and the creatures are getting closer attacking the lift. You then think all is well and decontam awaits.

Here is where i think they missed so vital parts.

1- A short video explaining how they got the egg up but the lifts have now been deactivated.
2-Somthing always seems missing in the egg chamber- For me yes the prodders are good as are the ticklers but still i feel there missing somthing. What about 2 warm water mist sprayers aimed as the sides of the necks that would cause a fright and like many have said.. the all famous eye.
3-When in the 2nd lift, maybe a video or green flash of light "scanning the survivors" reading levels of contamination, followed by some static that your not suposed to hear with a faint instruction of not letting the contaminated civillians leave. That Quarantine must adhered too and contamination kept to minimum at all costs.

That way it carrys the sinister military theme and then explains there assault. I think it would be nice if in the dark of that tunnel they used some manaquins in phalanx uniform all blooded up so they look like actors could be hidden amongst the maze with sensor triggers for strobes when people came near.

All very simple and cheap changes im sure. As for different drop sequences, im not sure if that is even possible with the ride hardware
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
rosco1982uk

iBacon wrote: I decided to have a look at the Ride Times today for Nemesis Sub-Terra. It is a bank holiday weekend so it should be really busy and to be honest the queue was very quiet. With it being like this and them having to pay for actors etc... who knows what will happen... and it has not been at the park long to get these queue times is rare...

The actors' pay is irrelevent though. It is a sunk cost.

It is only a factor on rides like Passaje at Blackpool which is "pay as you go" - ie the less people who ride, the less profit the ride makes.

As AT is pay on the gate, as long as the overall crowd levels are maintained, then the amount of usage of the ride isn't a key factor.

For example say 10,000 people enter the park on Wedesday at £40 each. That's £400,000 in revenue. Let's be extreme and say NOBODY rides Sub Terra. Actors' costs are £1,000.

On Thursday 10,000 people enter the park again, at £40 each. That's £400,000 in revenue. All of them ride Sub Terra. Revenue is still £400,000. Costs are still £1,000.

In the long run, if nobody is riding it, then I'd expect them to do away with the actors altogether to be honest and just have the maze part as a light / smoke type affair.
Wedjie

I think it is a decent ride, and can be reridden by the majority who only go to AT once, maybe twice, a year.

The only thing they need to do is keep the maintenance up as if any of those effects start to fail or become out of sync  then the ride will quickly go downhill.

I was also wondering if they could somehow get actors (or bodies) into the cave - similar to the whole 'Operators pinned by vines' kind of idea.
Danny

I absolutely love this ride and is one of my favourite flat rides there, the one thing I hate is leg ticklers, their more like leg whippers! But I hate them on ice age too so it's not the ride, just that effect :)
Wedjie

And another thing, it may have shorter queues, but theyre rarely the shortest. Both water rides and occasionally RMT have shorter queues, but they are still about - so i doubt N:ST Would close owing to short queues.
Kirsty25

Wedjie wrote: And another thing, it may have shorter queues, but theyre rarely the shortest. Both water rides and occasionally RMT have shorter queues, but they are still about - so i doubt N:ST Would close owing to short queues.
When have you been when the water rides and RMT have shorter queues than N:ST?

Whenever I have been RMT has been around 45 mins and the Rapids are usually around half an hour (When I've been in June). I have only known the queues be less when the park first opens on a morning!
iBacon

Kirsty25 wrote:
Wedjie wrote: And another thing, it may have shorter queues, but theyre rarely the shortest. Both water rides and occasionally RMT have shorter queues, but they are still about - so i doubt N:ST Would close owing to short queues.

Whenever I have been RMT has been around 45 mins and the Rapids are usually around half an hour (When I've been in June). I have only known the queues be less when the park first opens on a morning!
I completely agree the RMT can get massive queues, so can the water rides. N:ST rarely does anymore.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
Kirsty25

iBacon wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote:

I completely agree the RMT can get massive queues, so can the water rides. N:ST rarely does anymore.
That said though I did do N:ST twice on my 3 day trip in June, and will do it at least once in October, maybe twice so it is still a ride I like, despite a horrendous fear of lifts...
Burniel

iBacon wrote: I decided to have a look at the Ride Times today for Nemesis Sub-Terra. It is a bank holiday weekend so it should be really busy and to be honest the queue was very quiet. With it being like this and them having to pay for actors etc... who knows what will happen... and it has not been at the park long to get these queue times is rare...

Just to say I can confirm that, having been on park the last couple of days, sub terra has had queues of 30 minutes plus during the afternoon ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
tcw1993

I think sub terra is one of them rides that I personally look forward to in the day, as I don't ride nemesis oblivion smiler and Rita. For people like me who don't like the bigger rides for whatever reason, it's perfect I've been 4 times this season and I've waited no less than 40 minutes in the que. I can't see it going anytime soon. They spent £4m on it two years ago which however you look at it, is a damn big investment.
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
bensaund

I guess you need to look at the overall number of guests who ride each day. It may not have a 60 min queue, but it may well be working at 90-100% capacity. Ie ride capacity/demand is about right.
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

bensaund wrote: I guess you need to look at the overall number of guests who ride each day. It may not have a 60 min queue, but it may well be working at 90-100% capacity. Ie ride capacity/demand is about right.
Yes definitely, if it's capacity is high enough ...

I looked around and found that sub terra takes 800 riders per hour, meaning a half hour queue means there's 400 people in the queue
TowersManiac0110

They will probably remove it due to lack of riders.
bensaund

They won't remove it, if anything they will do a 'Saw Alive' and have it as a Scarefest only attraction or only on busy days.
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

They won't do that, it will stay, they might close it on really quiet days, but mostly it will always be open.

Personally, if this was just a scare/drop tower ride then I think it would be even less popular, it's just the theming around the parks's legendary and oldest standing coaster (not counting RMT) keeping the people who haven't been in before coming. People see it and think "oooooooo a nemesis attraction, new last year, based around the stuff underneath nemesis, got to do that", but then they ride sub terra and (for most people) it's a disappointment.

I'll give you an example: before he went on it my dad thought  it would be a coaster like nemesis underground! He came off, and said "what a waste of time!"

So, I conclude, sub terra is an attraction which will very rarely close, as it has lots of riders due to its link to nemesis. Most come off with a face of disappointment, meaning that once everyone's been on it once, the queues will slowly drop until only those who like it remain. Then, it may have to become a scarefest only thing. But, I think it's got a couple if years yet.
Deejay

For me it's one of the best attractions at the resort! I love going on it with people that don't know what to expect! So much better this season too!
TheOutpatient

I love this ride and hope it stays and that they work on it, anything I say here is not a complaint and I know the hard work has been done already.

I think I had this idea while riding it a month or so back - It concerns the control room nutcase who is yelling at everyone. I really do like the way the narrative deteriorates but I think that deteriatoin could be further exaggerated and when you return from the drop I think a ROBOT/COMPUTER voice should TAKE OVER to create the effect that this control/CCTV room guy has cleared off.

For those who understand audio/music jargon, I'm gonna use certain terms to describe better what could happen:

-The 'Science Museum' style dialogue e.g. "This is the Nemesis Egg" etc.. is pretty cool, that stays the same

-when we get to remain in your seats- that audio is doubled and pitched down using an effect that can lower pitch without stretching the time span of the audio. I believe this to be the effect used on the Hex narrative inside the swing, the effect can be robot/alien or very subtle depending on the pitch/how loud the effect is.  In this case the 'doubling' can be brought in gradually over that hole section of audio.

-The important bit When the gondolas are back up, the voice is strictly robot/computer. Theres many ways to achieve this including vocoder and text to voice software. You could do a T minus count down aswell but that is not that original. Again, the idea here, is that the human voice over man, has GONE and the building might go into automated shutdown to shut the alien in.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Lee

Just to throw the 'it never get's a queue' argument out of the water. It had a 30 minute queue on Saturday while I was on park ;)
tallicay2k

*sigh* o I do miss Dynamo tho  :(
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

what is the link with Sub Terra and Dynamo?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/