Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nutty Man

Dan wrote:I think we have to accept the fact that Merlin have no plans to re-open Nemesis: Sub-Terra, at all.

It’s a shame, as it’s an attraction that I actually enjoyed, but it almost never had a queue and was ridiculously labour intensive, and this is without considering the ride system issues they were experiencing when it closed in 2015.

I would love to see it re-open, but I’m 99.9% sure that its day is done.
I agree that it seems unlikely, but surely if it wasn't coming back they would have taken it off the website? It seems odd that they've left it on there but they've probably forgotten about it. I sincerely hope the haven't.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Adam W

It sounds pessimistic, but I have a feeling that Towers are just keeping these 'under refurbishment' attractions on their website to bump up their ride count :/
TheDuke

Dan wrote:I think we have to accept the fact that Merlin have no plans to re-open Nemesis: Sub-Terra, at all.

It’s a shame, as it’s an attraction that I actually enjoyed, but it almost never had a queue and was ridiculously labour intensive, and this is without considering the ride system issues they were experiencing when it closed in 2015.

I would love to see it re-open, but I’m 99.9% sure that its day is done.
As active as I'm active on the this topic and enjoyed Sub Terra I think the writing as been on the wall for a time now. Every year that goes by without refurbishment makes its opening more unlikely. We could see it open again but it would need extensive maintenance which I doubt will happen.
SJW

It's also a warning for what will happen to the Wicker Man. Not likely close, but be stripped of any actors that appear in early days.
DAN31

I've only had the chance to ride it once and i really enjoyed. Ok its not a major attraction but with AT's lack of flat rides it was a good filler ride.
PhNx Survivor

Thing is I don’t imagine many people will complain about the fact that AT is roller coaster based over flat rides.. if a good number of people were to complain about it then maybe we could see the return of N:ST with other attractions.. but whilst Merlin hold AT in their grasp, the future is dark..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
TheDuke

PhNx Survivor wrote:Thing is I don’t imagine many people will complain about the fact that AT is roller coaster based over flat rides.. if a good number of people were to complain about it then maybe we could see the return of N:ST with other attractions.. but whilst Merlin hold AT in their grasp, the future is dark..
Its not so much a Merlin issue as it is an issue with attractions that use actors year round, outside of Disney and Universal the majority of parks don't do it. Also "the future is dark", we're getting a well themed wooden coaster and many attractions refurbished. Merlin aren't the best but the whole “Merlin ruin everything” rhetoric annoys me.
PhNx Survivor

TheDuke wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Thing is I don’t imagine many people will complain about the fact that AT is roller coaster based over flat rides.. if a good number of people were to complain about it then maybe we could see the return of N:ST with other attractions.. but whilst Merlin hold AT in their grasp, the future is dark..
Its not so much a Merlin issue as it is an issue with attractions that use actors year round, outside of Disney and Universal the majority of parks don't do it. Also "the future is dark", we're getting a well themed wooden coaster and many attractions refurbished. Merlin aren't the best but the whole “Merlin ruin everything” rhetoric annoys me.
A lot of people don’t like Merlin because of that very reason, yes we are getting a well themed coaster, but at what cost? We have lost 2 brilliant flat rides, for whatever reason, and are now slowly losing N:ST. It’s not just Alton that are suffering from cost cuts either might I just add.. and the attractions needed to be refurbished because let’s be honest, they looked knackered and out dated. Each to their own really at the end of the day.
TheDuke

PhNx Survivor wrote: A lot of people don’t like Merlin because of that very reason, yes we are getting a well themed coaster, but at what cost? We have lost 2 brilliant flat rides, for whatever reason, and are now slowly losing N:ST. It’s not just Alton that are suffering from cost cuts either might I just add.. and the attractions needed to be refurbished because let’s be honest, they looked knackered and out dated. Each to their own really at the end of the day.
Aye I agree they're definitely far from the best but I think people over play it. I also believe they're improving with the new additions to their parks getting better, they're now maintaining rides appearances just want to point out that they're not out of the woods yet but they aren't as bad as they once were.
PhNx Survivor

I mean I get that they have done a lot of good stuff for the parks they own, but the negatives outweighs the positives in some cases, they do deliver on brilliant rides i’ll give them that, it is just a shame they cost cut a lot of the time..

I do hope some point N:ST does re-open, but I don’t see Merlin doing this, unless the ride can be operated without actors.. even if the ride was only open for Scarefest, that would be better than it’s current situation.
TheDuke

PhNx Survivor wrote:I do hope some point N:ST does re-open, but I don’t see Merlin doing this, unless the ride can be operated without actors.. even if the ride was only open for Scarefest, that would be better than it’s current situation.
It's such a shame that it didn't last. It was a really enjoyable experience and I agree that if it opens, it will either be without actors or seasonal. Overall though, N:ST ever opening is extremely unlikely.
KoasterKing 205

Yeah it is a shame. Though Alton Towers on both Facebook & Twitter have made slight hints of Nemesis: Sub-Terra possibly opening this year. But I'd like to think even if it doesn't open this year, that it will open in the future. I mean, the ride was operating fine until The Smiler crashed & then suddenly, bam N:ST closes & has been for the past 3 years. The ride has to open! We can't think negatively!
Nickolai

I think Merlin want to play it safe with all their money.
Formally Smiler313
TheBeornen

Hopefully it'll reopen if this season is successful in Merlin's eyes making lots of money. I could see them reopening this next season and reintroducing the baggage holds that have been removed for this season.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
KoasterKing 205

Yeah I mean, if they're going to re-open N:ST, then they should re-open it properly, like the way it was before The Smiler crash. Because if they were to re-open the ride without actors, seasonal opening or worse, a total re-theme/re-brand then I'd much prefer them to just leave it SBNO. Either they open up like it was before or don't open it at all. Simple.

But I'm really hoping they open it this year if not next, it's been too long since I & others have last rode it & to be honest, the fact that they're saying sweet fa is annoying. I see constant posts about N:ST opening on Facebook/Twitter & it seems we're getting nothing out of them. We NEED answers. And proper ones at that, not this "N:ST is on lockdown" crap.
KoasterKing 205

All the Rollercoasters at Alton Towers (including Wicker Man) have all shut due to the crappy weather. N:ST being open would've at least offered an indoor ride for people...until next next year... we wait for N:ST's long over due opening...
jackf1tz

No it wouldn't, as Hex and Duel are also closed, probably due to them being relatively far away from everything else that is open at the park.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

jackf1tz wrote:No it wouldn't, as Hex and Duel are also closed, probably due to them being relatively far away from everything else that is open at the park.
Hex has been open over this weekend. However, I imagine that had Sub-Terra been part of the 2018 ride line-up, it would have remained closed for the reason you give.
KoasterKing 205

lewis97 wrote:
jackf1tz wrote:No it wouldn't, as Hex and Duel are also closed, probably due to them being relatively far away from everything else that is open at the park.
Hex has been open over this weekend. However, I imagine that had Sub-Terra been part of the 2018 ride line-up, it would have remained closed for the reason you give.
Well I don't see how. If they open Hex, then they'd sure open N:ST. They wouldn't open 1 indoor ride then not open another, but I don't know. It's a shame that N:ST isn't opening this year. Hope it opens in 2019...
Tom170499

KoasterKing 205 wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
Well I don't see how. If they open Hex, then they'd sure open N:ST. They wouldn't open 1 indoor ride then not open another, but I don't know. It's a shame that N:ST isn't opening this year. Hope it opens in 2019...
Rides such as Duel we’re closed over the weekend due to the risk of falling trees with the wind. This would have closed N:ST too.