Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

The previous LTDP finished with 2016 and so a new one should be avalbile at some point in the near future - that should give us a better idea of what future developments will entail. :)
Justin

While unconfirmed, rumoured sites being considered for development are X, the land behind The Swarm where ground tests are going on and the land for the hotel opposite Shark. I believe land purchasing is also being considered nearby!
ColossusInferno

There is no chance for a hyper coaster. The general public still think Stealth is scary and huge, so having a hyper coaster towering over Stealth would make it look like a baby. So a hyper coaster would mean the removal of Stealth in my opinion.
Owen

I don't see why anything would need to "tower over stealth", looking at SeaWorld's Mako (often rated as the best hyper coaster) which is shorter than Stealth. As previously stated Stealth has been marketed heavily on its speed as opposed to its height more recently and so I really wouldn't see this being a problem, and looking at the queues Stealth gets there's still very much a market for larger coasters in the U.K.

Whilst I don't think it's likely for the near future I personally think saying there is "no chance" of this happening is a little naive, Thorpe is a business and will invest in whatever seems popular at the time - with hyper coasters becoming very popular in recent years! :)

In regards to what I can personally see is RMC, MACK and B&M all being looked into for future developments, and we should hopefully find out a general idea of the parks plans when the new long term development plan is released :)
ColossusInferno

Very true Owen, good point.

I think if there was to be an RMC it should be to the right of Loggers Leap and really expand that western area. From my perspective it seems to have a good chunk of space around that area. Due to BP making a MAC, I'd see Thorpe going down a different route, and hope that would be an RMC
Burniel

Owen wrote:I don't see why anything would need to "tower over stealth", looking at SeaWorld's Mako (often rated as the best hyper coaster) which is shorter than Stealth. As previously stated Stealth has been marketed heavily on its speed as opposed to its height more recently and so I really wouldn't see this being a problem, and looking at the queues Stealth gets there's still very much a market for larger coasters in the U.K.
I guess it depends where in the park it was. Say we're talking the island behind The Swarm, then I would argue that having a hyper that only just gets over the 200ft boundary would look a bit poor. Having a hyper that is not only shorter than Stealth, but behind it (thus having a greater apparent loss in height due to distance) would make it seem a bit lame - you have a coaster that would (presumably) be marketed for its height stood near enough to an even taller coaster which beats its height without really trying. If Thorpe get a hyper (and words cannot describe how much I'd want them to), it either needs to be far enough away from Stealth that the two aren't competing side-by-side or it will need to "tower over Stealth".

Mako is rated as the best hyper because it's usually one of the first hypers people ride due to its location. Coasters like Shambhala are considered much better by most people who've been on many hypers, mainly due to their extra height and speed. That said, most Thorpe Park visitors haven't been on a hyper either, so I guess any height would do in terms of public reception.

If the Thorpe hyper happens, I'd personally dream for something to beat out Thunder Dolphin as the tallest hyper in the world. Or maybe we could get a giga? :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Georgie

I'd personally at least hope for something taller than the big one. The UK's tallest rollercoaster would certainly get people excited! And while it likely would have to be near the back of the park (where the available land is long and narrow), I would prefer something closer in style to Superman the Ride or Expedition GeForce over another out and back layout.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Owen

Burniel wrote:If Thorpe get a hyper (and words cannot describe how much I'd want them to), it either needs to be far enough away from Stealth that the two aren't competing side-by-side or it will need to "tower over Stealth".

Mako is rated as the best hyper because it's usually one of the first hypers people ride due to its location.
I agree, although I'd expect if anything were to be planned they'd take this into account. In regards to Mako I think it depends on the person as I've seen many say it is better than Shambhala and others saying it's not quite there but a close second. My main point being that the coaster doesn't necessarily need to be huge in order to be a good and successful ride. In regards to Out and back layouts, I honestly feel B&M have become very complacent and somewhat boring so I'd be doubtful of seeing anything different. :(

Whilst I do think the resort will at the very least consider this idea, I don't see anything like it being installed before 2020 - but the prospect is there which is exciting!
Georgie

Who said any Hyper coaster has to be a B&M? Intamin are more than capable at building hyper-style rides that are world class without being too tall and I'd love to see Mack take a crack at it too!
Owen

GThing64 wrote:Who said any Hyper coaster has to be a B&M? Intamin are more than capable at building hyper-style rides that are world class without being too tall and I'd love to see Mack take a crack at it too!
Apologies, I assumed this would be the case based on what the subject split off from and how Shambhala and Mako were mentioned. I'd like to see a new Intamin design such as what EnegyLandia will be receiving next year. :)
Dom

Thorpe Park would, in my opinion, benefit from a big, in your face coaster. The UK really are lacking in coasters that give the 'wow' and TP is probably the best place for it. Hyper or RMC would be very welcomed the most though. #HyperTP
Ryan.B

MACK have that looping hyper don't they? Be fun with B&M clamshells! :lol
Tom

An Intamin hyper similar to Goliath at Walibi Holland would be an excellent addition.
Georgie

I think a GeForce style ride would fit in the park, whether by Intamin or if Merlin decides to let Mack have a go at a similar style of ride. Thorpe does need a hyper though. The only thrill coaster they have without inversions at the moment lasts 12 seconds and they lack any real airtime machines. Failing that, a wooden coaster would be fab, even though the best option for a woodie would be one that inverts!

..I do feel as if we may be going in circles with this conversation here. Aren't Thorpe due another MTDP soon?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

GThing64 wrote:Aren't Thorpe due another MTDP soon?
Yes, their last one spanned 2010-2016 so has now expired. I believe that was submitted in early summer 2010, so we may see a MTDP detailing vague plans for the next few years submitted in the coming months.
ThemeCrafter264

The new boat ride is called 'Timber Tug Boat'
eddiehead01

unless the regulations have changed you're not going to see a coaster taller than Stealth as that's pretty much at the parks height restriction limits due to local flight paths. Maybe if they were to do what AT do and go underground which is extremely unlikely due to the nature of the ground

I wouldn't mind a hyper that loops the back of the park and uses the route the train took to the farm, as well as using some of the space around the farm. Although I've been saying since 2001 that a coaster over the lake would be immense

I'd say wood is unlikely bearing in mind AT have that in the bag now
Owen

I believe Thorpe can go up to 500ft, so long as the attraction avoids any major flight paths and has a light at its peak (and the council agrees to it obviously). :)

Wood maybe not, but hybrid on the other hand :sus:
The Nemesis Fox

I do think that Colossus will be gone after it turns 20 or before given it's issues at the moment. For 2024 I can see a B&M floorless going in that spot - and slammer's. It will still be a usp unless another U.K. Park gets a B&M or an x-car.

I would leave x because I think that a Chiapas style water ride would really fit in that space as well as replacing Storm Surge and the west beach. The Aztec theme I think would really work.
fitchy

Colossus I doubt will be going anywhere in the short term, its had allot of money spent on replacing the lift chain mechanics etc.