Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Joe Koopa

Because they are both fighting to be Merlin's Number One.
Anyway, I don't see the point there on the other end of the country. :)

Well-Almost
haydn!

[quote=""ShootTheCore""]Why would Thorpe build a coaster to steal Alton's limelight when they are owned by the same company?[/quote]

Although the companies belong to the same group of attractions they are still two totally seperate companies that must remain competitive in their own right. Its unfortunate their biggest competitors are their respective sister attractions.

However, a woodie at Thorpe Park is a long shot idea at the very best. Suggesting one will open in time for 2010 is too much! Thorpe have already made their medium term development plan clear, and so far have stuck it almost to the letter. I see no reason why this will not continue as it appears to be working for them.

Land filling is taking place, I'm not sure if it's started behind Stealth yet? But this was always in the MTDP.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Enthusiasts probably make up less than 1% of the market. Where enthusiasts flock to really won't make or break a park.
It's funny actually. Thorpe Park decided to do something weird and listened to what the enthusiasts wanted. Now they have a giant turkey in the park in the form of Slammer.

--

As far as I know the next attraction will be a replacement for Miss Hippos Fungle Safari which has now left the park.

This could be a relocation of an existing flat ride but i've heard whispers of a potential dark ride.

X: No Way Out will be replaced/revamped long before what it states in the MTDP.

As for the hotel.. It might be on indefinite hold.
haydn!

Well, the MTDP only outlined 'exact' plans up until 2009, but wasn't there a section about further development that mentioned an intention to add a dark ride/haunted attraction.

It would be an ideal location, they could fit it quite easily into the Canada/Western theme they've got going off up there.
Adz
Admin
Admin

The LTDP (Long Term Development Plan) did state the intention to add a 'Haunted House' to Treasure Island.

The LTDP however is now wildly different to what Thorpe Park is really going to do - A shame I feel as it was a very solid bunch of attractions to add to the park.

A new MTDP should be submitted to the council shortly as the current one is now coming to a close.
WillXav

Anyone know when the MTDP finishes and when a new one is coming?

I don't think halve the the attractions on the LTDP are coming because it is too family-focused.

I expect to see a new one for 2010-2015:

That space where MHF Safari will most likely be used next and XNWO will soon to be demolished because they can't use the land behind Stealth because it hasn't been developed yet.

They got the land where MHF Safari, Neptune's Kingdom, Octopus Gardens, Sunkern Gardens, Arena, XNWO and Logger's Leap (in the middle, next to the drop) are.
Anonymous

[quote=""elementist""]MTDP ...LTDP [/quote]

In English?
WillXav

Mid-term development plan and long-term
Those are abbreviated terms that everyone like us know.
Adz
Admin
Admin

[quote=""elementist""]Anyone know when the MTDP finishes and when a new one is coming?[/quote]

Did you read my post?
A new MTDP should be submitted to the council shortly as the current one is now coming to a close.
..Shortly.
Anonymous

[quote=""elementist""]terms that everyone like us know.[/quote]

Who is us??
WillXav

Theme Park people - it's a well known term when referring to our theme parks.

Chessie's MTDP
Thorpe's MTDP
Alton's MTDP

It's most known amongst the regular members

-----------

In what way shortly:

The 2012 Olympics is soo close to us
Im going to the cinema in 10 hours time
Im going on holiday in 1 month time

There are different definition of the word shortly - of course you know what I mean :)

So beginning of 2010, because I didin't think we'll see one this summer - unless its usual to see these things.

But then we could see one, thinking about because they would submit it to the council and then council would review it and publish it online on their website.

Just a lil' bit muddle :P
Anonymous

Ok, Ok, You dont need to patronise me whoever you are.
AstroDan

Calm down, dears.

Back on topic please. We're all here for the same things.

:D
Joe Koopa

I personally think 2010 could see a proposed Horror=Land near Saw with a moderatly scary haunted house.

That said, I hope the next addition will be a family coaster replacing Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari.
haydn!

Nah, I doubt a family coaster will come so soon after SAW. However, another attraction set to be on the cards is a runnaway train type attraction. So I guess it's possible, however I feel this will be better suited to one of the new Islands once they finally get up and running.
WillXav

I am not trying to patronize you, if you take it the wrong way, that's you're problem. Im just trying to help you out.

----------

Haydn: Exactly my point, what's the point in building family rides at Thorpe? We have Alton and Chessie just down the road. The whole idea of Chessie and Thorpe was to have two seperate markets that attract two different types of people.

I very doubt that family rides will be built in Thorpe so soon as Thorpe's area of thrills works perfectly fine and is continuing to do well. A lot of things that appeared on the LTDP didn't happen and I don't think a Runaway Train ride will happen because its Chessie's thing.

Airwolf: SAW was never planned to be part of any themed zone but on its own island. When the license runs out and if the park doesn't renew it, it will have a different name with theme. Only then will the coaster fit in with CC.

I do however think that a new thrill/family-thrill flat will come to MSF Safari in 2010 and that XNWO will be replaced.
Last edited by WillXav on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haydn!

[quote=""elementist""]Haydn: What's the point in building family rides at Thorpe? We have Alton and Chessie just down the road. The whole idea of Chessie and Thorpe was to have two seperate markets that attract two different types of people.[/quote]

Linky. I actually said I doubt a family coaster would be built in the near future. If I'm not mistaken it was Airwolf that suggested it?

However, why shouldn't Thorpe build family attractions? Are you suggesting thrill seekers don't have families? Or that family attractions have to be for kids only? You appear to have the same limited interpretation of family attractions share by Alton Towers.

If Thorpe really want to go after that number one spot, then they shouldn't target just one segment of the market. Although most of the recent developments have been thrill seeker attractions the park still has a good range of rides to suit all.

Also, Chessingtons shift to target just one families has done nothing to improve its situation. If anything the park has continued its decline in popularity and financial performance. Also, this was a Tussauds policy and with Merlin's core business being 'family entertainment' it is likely we'll see a shift in direction and project development for both parks.
WillXav

I was agreeing with you Haydn :P - I meant to type Exactly my point but must be a problem with keyboard - spilt coffee on it lol

Dragon's Fury is a family-thrilling coaster and I even found it more thrilling than Rattlesnake.

Runaway Train's aren't exactly family-thrilling but something like a Woodie or Water Coaster are family-thrilling - therefore, I could see them build stuff like that.

Chessington is going down in popularity with no rides built since 2004, they do themselves no favours. I hope to god they build something amazing in 2010 or I will change whose my fav theme park.

It was also revealed that direction will change, all my friends think Chessie is well Sssssss and well they are not able to compete or keep up with other parks because of their inactivity to building new rides.
CoasterCrazyChris

I prefered Thorpe Park when it was more aimed at families and not the crappy route they took by adding all those tacky flats in 2004/5. The area has soo much potential to be a major family resort and they waste it building coaster after coaster and adding unreliable funfair rides.

Why not cater for everyone?
Matt.C

I doubt they'd build a watercoaster with Tidal Wave and Loggers Leap already in place.