What will The Smiler be like in 20 years?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
wakey1512

I was sure it wouldn't last 20 years before today - now I'm unsure it'll last another 2. It's not up to the job and clearly under engineered and now the bad stigma it has gained will surely be the nail in the coffin.
Aidan Lowe

Never been a fan of this ride despite the number of times I've ridden it, after today it needs some major adjustments. I hope now though other parks including Merlin owned parks will avoid Gerstlauer.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TheBeast

I like Gerstlauer...I just cant see the Smiler lastign more than 10 years on park. Its too widely viewed as being unreliable. I disagree with ur statement tho, I dont think people should avoid Gerstlauer- Saw: The Ride is among my top 3 rides, thats a Gerstlauer
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
sw7nutter

I strongly dislike Gerstlauer as a ride manufacturer. They are always plagued with problems and always drastically uncomfortable. It's nearly impossible to get a decent throughput on them and I find they are always too stop start making the ride feel shorter. As for Saw I think it's TP's worse coaster and if it wasn't for Rita I would easily put it as Merlin's worst ride.
Tom

Obviously we should await the findings of the investigation into what happened before coming to any conclusions, but I highly doubt that the incident was in any way Gerstlauers fault.
We shouldn't go around pointing fingers at people at this early stage.
sw7nutter

I don't think anyone was pointing fingers. I was just saying i dislike Gerstlauer, always have done since they made saw.
Sr88

They will make drastic safety improvements and bounce back from this. They spent nearly £20 million on it, they aren't going to scrap it because of a few accidents. They will make it better and safer, and it will be back running for years.
SmilerLover

But don't forget that there is a chance that one of the people in the crash could die, and is a life thretining condition
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Aidan Lowe

SmilerLover wrote:But don't forget that there is a chance that one of the people in the crash could die, and is a life thretining condition
It has been quoted as life-changing.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Stan.H

This ride might not even make 20 years after what happened yesterday, hopefully will and doubt AT would get rid of an £18 million so soon...
Adam.W

Well, I'd compare it to the lifespan of similar gestlauer coasters. I know that the Infinity design is new, but compare to similar eurofighters or something.
Ripsaw Raver

attacked with torches and pitchforks from the mindless zombies who believe the drivel produced in The Mirror
theparklifekid

hopefully a bit more popular....
thi3teenloverboy14

theparklifekid wrote:hopefully a bit more popular....
It was popular before the accident anyway and it will probably regain it again when it opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smiffy107

I personally can't see the smiler lasting much longer, maybe a few years more (3-5 years) but I highly doubt it will ever be as popular as it was when it first opened, I have only been on it once but that will be the first and last time I ever ride it most likely.
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
Sawboss

All hinges on a successful reopening, if they can reopen without issues I can see it staying for at least 15 years.
JonDoesTT

I think it depends on what the news and media do. If they continue to negatively impact The Smiler and Alton Towers, it won't last nearly as long as 20 years. And in 2035, what will Alton Towers itself be like?

Credit to NemesisRider
TH14TEEN

It'll reopen next season, but by 2035 probably be gone. Nemesis will pre-exist it and outlive it.
Stan.H

I think in 2035 Alton Towers will be much more popular than it's current popularity level, I'd imagine the Smiler will probably be gone, but if not a very rough coaster and effects that no longer work!