What will The Smiler be like in 20 years?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
SwEDEN

I can assume in 20 years every bolt would've sheared off, and on whatever day you plan on visiting it will be experiencing down time...... But hopefully there will still be over 50 other rides and attractions for you to enjoy! :lol:
Last edited by SwEDEN on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz1313

Much rougher than Corkie was when she left!  ](*,)
Burniel

Joshysqaushy wrote: The Smiler In 20 Years...
I genuinely think this is a great prediction. The smiler's lifespan cannot be longer than 20 years.

I think the smiler will be knocked down before nemesis.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Shutterbug

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Joshysqaushy wrote: The Smiler In 20 Years...
I genuinely think this is a great prediction. The smiler's lifespan cannot be longer than 20 years.

I think the smiler will be knocked down before nemesis.
Definitely agree there. Also with the problems that have been highlighted by the media such as why it's closed now, I've heard people outside the entrance of it saying " I'm not going on that, it's not safe". So with each thing that gets reported on, how many more people will start to think it's unsafe...
Lee

People easily forget.

Unless the ride is condemned, or becomes an absolute PR and maintenance nightmare (spending the majority of the year out of service), then the Smiler will stay for at least 2 decades. There's been too much investment both financially and in resources to just knock it down.
jayson2125

Lee wrote: People easily forget.

Unless the ride is condemned, or becomes an absolute PR and maintenance nightmare (spending the majority of the year out of service), then the Smiler will stay for at least 2 decades. There's been too much investment both financially and in resources to just knock it down.

So looking at the above:

Unless the ride is condemned (not far off being with bits falling off repeatedly) or becomes an absolute PR and maintenance nightmare which it already is (spending the majority of the year out of service) So this year it has already done a lot of that. Then the Smiler will stay for at least 2 decades. There's been too much investment both financially and in resources to just knock it down.

TEAM EDIT: Please try and make posts readable. SPG corrections.
Last edited by jayson2125 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Lee

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that pieces falling away is not acceptable; it's hardly falling apart. A PR nightmare is constant downtime or something you cannot reverse in the public eye (ie: death). Think back to the RMT incident, that's well and truly forgotten in the papers. Anyone really remember the Skyride fire? The public are a very fickle type of people and their perception can easily be warped and manipulated.

So no, unless there is a catastrophic failure, the park will not close down and demolish The Smiler. It will be in their financial projections for xx years and as such Towers cannot simply affords to remove it.
sw7nutter

A possible reason to remove it would be the noise it makes and the moaning from certain neighbors but that wont happen for a few years. In 20 years it will look a mess. All the projectors wont work, the marmaliser will have no working parts and the ride will be incredibly uncomfortable.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
bluesonichd

sw7nutter wrote: In 20 years it will look a mess. All the projectors wont work, the marmaliser will have no working parts and the ride will be incredibly uncomfortable.
Isn't that the state of it now?  :shock:
Last edited by bluesonichd on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

The travelers will be hauling it back on a truck to weigh it in!
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
lf2001

The ride will be rough, it will be probably breaking down a lot more. It will be removed a few years after its 20th birthday.
Jamie

lf2001 wrote: The ride will be rough, it will be probably breaking down a lot more. It will be removed a few years after its 20th birthday.
Let's hope not!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
joshua.ayling

Falling apart
MinecraftFan96

Hopefully smoothed out on the jolty 12th inversion! (Cobra roll) Just maybe...
The Smiler is becoming too powerful! Its replacing your memories with its own! SMILE. ALWAYS.
bensaund

If Saw: The Ride is anything to go by, we may need to wear protective headgear when riding The Smiler in 20 years
If you go down to the woods today
LCFCjames

While The Smiler has had a considerable amount of problems throughout 2013, it was no different to a lot of new roller coasters. With new technology and a complex track layout, the chances of something going wrong are reasonably high. Hopefully AT have ironed out these problems for 2014 and it will have a better year. After a couple of years of operation we should have a better idea of how long the ride will last. Most coasters improve with reliability over the years, so hopefully The Smiler will too.

I actually found the ride quite smooth, but i know a lot of people found it rough. If they can sort those issues out then its lifespan will be considerably improved!

8)
bensaund

For me most rides were smooth, but on two occasions I did get the big jolt on inversion 12, but Saw can be hit and miss as to if you get hit by the jolt or not
If you go down to the woods today
nemefan08

Not as good. Yes it will be rougher and not as well looked after but remember this. Oblivion is 16 and it still has working tv's and nemesis gets repainted every now and again. Merlin does make sure AT rides last. If the corkscrew made it to 28 the smiler can last until 20 at least
Alex

nemefan08 wrote:Not as good. Yes it will be rougher and not as well looked after but remember this. Oblivion is 16 and it still has working tv's and nemesis gets repainted every now and again. Merlin does make sure AT rides last. If the corkscrew made it to 28 the smiler can last until 20 at least
Oblivion is also a B&M which gives it a significant advantage ;)
nemefan08

Just because it's a b and m does not mean alton keep the effects working.