What will The Smiler be like in 20 years?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Adam.W

Merlin probably wouldn't still own it imo, and it will probably change a fair amount for the better.

Anyway, back on topic, it will last more than 20 years. I mean, corkscrew lasted longer than that and it was a semi-transportable Vekroma coaster. People only say like a few years, but you'll be suprised how quickly a few years passes on a grand scale. I mean, put yourself back 21 years back, I'm sure you'd think nemesis would be in a much worse condition than it is now.
JustWill

Just like most rides at the park, I cannot imagine it not being there. Honestly, I think it'll be there to the end. Despite a lot of theme park fans strongly disliking it (I don't really see the issues tbf) it is still a popular ride among the general public and as long as that factor is there, I can see it spending a long time on resort.

Merlin? Throwing away £18m? pfft.
Owen

Although many people refuse to accept it, The Smiler is the only rollercoaster to be on par, if not better than Nemesis to people and it's creator. Currently it's the park's biggest draw, even with Galactica, people still go to ride The Smiler - granted not everybody but still a large chunk.

On top of this, people seem to forget this is the biggest investment Alton Towers have made, not to mention all the extra money it's meant them having to pay out in the long run.

The Smiler has once again shocked people again this season, with many Nemesis fans moving toward it due to it being improved vastly, so in reality the uproar would be at least as bad as Nemesis if the ride was removed too quickly.

People seem to to think that just because it's made me by Gerstlauer it won't last? I have never understood this as they are made out of the exact same thing as any other ride manufacturer, like said above, with the ride being the smoothest it's ever been this year it's certainly proved it ages well.

The ride itself has the most tech I've ever seen any rollercoaster have, I'm sure they wouldn't invest in something of its calibre if they planned to remove it after it operates for the same amount of time as Rita.

Finally, why would they? It's a huge roller coaster that really shouldn't be at Alton Towers due to their restrictions, but it is. Why would Merlin throw that away to replace it with something smaller when restrictions could be tighter in the future?

That's my thoughts on the matter anyway, I don't see The Smiler going anywhere for a very long time yet and I feel it may surprise people with how well in ages. :)
Ryan.B

It's not a glass smooth coaster, and people seem to think that it should be, the same people that think nemesis is glass Smooth. Personally I find both have slight headbanging issues (nemesis on the zero G roll and final inversion) and the smiler on the cobra roll exit. The Smiler is a creative masterpiece, not much, if anything else could fill up that space and be better, it has length, inversions, airtime, decent theming, high G's and atmosphere. It has everything nemesis has really, and I can't see it being removed for a long time.

Out of all the coasters I've seen in the world, the smiler is the one I wanted to ride the most before hand, and we are very, very lucky to have a coaster like it.