Creative Ideas For new AT Attractions

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Count-Vonduel

There are alot of people out there with alot of creative talent (some to challange even Wardly himself). So I am making this topic for people to post their ideas for new Attractions here and give feedback on said ideas.

Please try to keep it on topic and make it as detailed as possible.

Here is my idea for a new attraction for The Dark Forest, Enjoy.

The Undergrowth
The Legacy of The Dark Forest
By Count-Vonduel

I got the inspiration from another forum members' post, but after spending an hour looking for it, I can't remember where it was or the persons' name but please, if you know who it is, or are in fact said person. please post a reply giving credit, I am very sorry.

This ride is like a Scaremaze but with the same amount of scaryness as Duel Live, so that it will be suitable for families to go in.

At Scarefest, the name will be changed to Overgrowth, and will include more actors, more intense scares, (but still not too much), and just be overall more scary.

The entrance will be near Thi13teen's entrance. Its' queue will first go through a forest path (like thi13teen's queue), and after a bit it will lead to a grey stone building with scaffolding, (like the one for thi13teen). Once inside the queue will go through three rooms, the first room, (the one you enter into), will be an empty room with some tools on the floor and some broken floor surrounded by warning tape. The second room will look much like the first but with a few construction lights in (one of them lighting up a wall with stone carvings of wraiths on it). The third room will be a long hallway with a zig zag cattle pen queue going through it (like the one in Hex), and there is some more construction theming along the sides. At the end there will be a closed door, (start of attraction). When the attraction is ready to let people in, an actor dressed as a construction worker will let in a group of people. He will then re-close the door and lead the group out the back end of the building.

"So you must be the volunteers we were advertising for, follow me please".

He leads the group into a clearing where there are some tools for cutting down trees and a few tree stumps laying about.

"We were recently cutting down some trees when some strange stuff started happening, stuff like people starting to feel sick, and people claiming to see hooded figures wondering around in the dinstance, there was even a case where somone..."

Another workman comes up (with a overly serious look on his face), and gestures to the first workman, who then stops talking about it.

"Anyway what we need you to do is to go down that path until you come to an abandoned church. Inside there should be another team member waiting for you, follow his instructions and do exactly what he says, no matter what...oh and for the love of god, make sure you stay together at all costs!"

After this the riders are sent on their way down the path.
Along the path, the feint slithering sound (from the Thi13teen Music) can be heard, and occasionally, a wraith can be seen walking amongst the trees and staring at the group from far away. The group eventually come to a derilict wooden church.
Somthing like this.
vvv
Upon getting to the door, a workman runs from around the corner and yells "BOO"!. Then begins to talk

"Hahaha, sorry I just couldn't resist...so I'm guessing that you just came from the worksite, good, please follow me and I'll explain what is going on".

He leads the guests in locking the door behind them and then tells them to take a seat. After the riders are seated, he begins to talk.

"So I assume that Dave wouldn't let you know about the calender?...right...ok, so basically, there has been alot of strange things happening since we started work here and certain...activity, for lack of a better word, seems to be more prominent at certain times of the day, month even year, and last year we made a rough record of it which we called the calender."

(At this point, the workman's mood very slightly, begins to deteriate, and continues to subtly deteriate throughout this scene, until he sounds somewhat untrustworthy.)

"At the moment, a certain peace of large activity is taking place, and we need your help with it. Every few months or so, strange hooded figures start to appear, and somtimes, a worker goes missing, only to turn up the next day completely insane.,..phylosophical almost, and when asked about what happened they just decscribe a room full of stone coffins. So one day, we asked to see the room, and he then lead us to a building. When he got there, he said that the door only opens when the master gets weak, after that he ran off into the woods screaming "I'M HOME"!...We never saw him again...so anyway, after alot of thinking, we decided that these things were coming becuase of the work we were doing, so I'm thinking that if we get somone who has nothing to do with this work to go in and investigate, then we may be able to stop it. If you would kindly follow me and I will lead you to the entrance".

After a walk through the forest, you evetually come to the room that he was talking about.

"I know that you probably don't want to enter...but you have no choice in the matter...can you see that (he points to a figure wrapped in vines in the distance), that was me,...the master grows weak and he wants some fresh meat"

The workman opens the door and 2 wraiths come running from behind the trees to chase the riders inside, and the doors are locked behind the riders.
The room is empty apart from 3 wraiths, who walk towards the riders and lead them to another room with a big tree in it surrounded by vine wrapped figures all over the wall and ceiling. As the 3 wraiths close the door, another wraith walks in the room, and the 4 wraiths surround the riders, but then a workman bangs the door open and tells the group to run. When the group get back to the first room, they see that there is a hole in the wall for them to escape out of (the hole in the wall is a door on rails, and while the riders are in the tree room, the workman slides the door to the side into a hollowed part of the wall, and when the riders have left, he slides the door back ready for the next group). The wraiths give chase and run after the riders through the forest and into another crypt where the 4 wraiths go back to the 1st crypt for the next group. In the second crypt, there are 2 actors dressed as wraiths constantly stalking the group. Occasionally popping out to scare the group (but not too much).
The crypt is a small maze with lots of stone caskets in, and the route weaves around all the rubble and caskets in the room before finally getting to the way out. When the group get out, they will walk down another path before coming to a part where an actor in the bushman costume scares them. After this the group round another corner before coming to the rides exit.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Count-Vonduel

Count-Vonduel wrote: VonDuel Mannor
The haunted House Strikes Back
By Count-Von-Duel

Before you read on, I just have a few things to clear up first.

(1) This will contain major spoilers for the normal Duel ride.

(2) It may sound expensive, but since all the alternate lighting and curtains are permanent, then it will be worth it in the long run.

(3) Before you read this I just want to give you a perspective of it so you don't misunderstand - although there are less actual jump scares in this, it is more jumpy than the normal Duel. The problem with the normal Duel is that there are so many jump scares one after another that after the first few scares almost nothing will scare you anymore, but in this, the focus is more on quality than quantity and thus there will be build up to the scares instead of the usual onslaught of flat BOO! moments.

Before I start talking about Duel, I just wanted to talk a bit about Haunted Hollow.

In Haunted Hollow, there are 4 statues, one of a grave digger, one of a butler with a lantern, one of a cook with a bowl, and one of a screaming maid.
There should be plaques on the four statues.

Grave Digger - Gregory The Gravedigger worked his plot now with his work left to rot.
Butler - Benethan The Butler died at the Bay now guides others who have lost their way.
Cook - Clarabel The Cook used to poisen the guests but soon after was laid to rest.
Maid - Mary the Maid cleaned the plates but soon after met her fate.

This is important to the rides' story, as Mary, Gregory and Clarebel appear in the ride, and Benethan plays a big role in the ride.

Outside of the ride in Gloomy Wood, the normal music is replaced with the old Gloomy Wood music, that they used for the Haunted House, and later for 2009 Duel Live.
The outdoor queue is always open even if there is no queue for the ride.

The first room will look the same as normal except for a red curtain in the doorway leading to the green room,
much like in 2009, a butler or maid will let in groups one by one. Upon entering the house, the butler/maid will give you a breifing.
(Butler/Maid - "Welcome to Von-Duel Manor, You must be here for the tour yes? I will let the master know that you are coming, please wait here and don't touch anything".
The butler/maid goes through the curtains, (the Butler/maid stands just outside the ride station, and when the Count finishes his lines and the riders are getting on the ride, then he comes back to get the group in the entrance hall), when he comes back, he open's the curtains to lead the group through the green room.

(The maid/butler stops the group in this room to say some more lines thus giving the group infront time to board the ride.
Butler/Maid - "This used to be the room of Emily Alton, but after the...incident, only her memory remains. After this the house became abandoned untill about 12 years ago when the Count moved in".)

The ride station will be as normal except for a single actor in the room (Count Von-Duel).
(while this is happening, the butler/maid will be letting in the next group).
Count Von-Duel - "Welcome to Von-duel Manor, I have arranged for transportation around the Manor but remember that it is not perfect. At the moment the built in defence system is not working, so please don't try and use them. Oh and a word of warning, it is at times like this when the um...past guests tend to get a bit restless and...well some of them are not very nice, not all of them mind you, but I would reccomend trying to avoid them. Oh and one last thing, try and stay inside the manor, and make sure you stay in the light, this last one is VERY impotrant.
Please enjoy the tour."

After this you get in the ride car and off you go.

IMPORTANT
Every 2nd car will be missing so that the effects can't be ruined by the car in front.

IMPORTANT
The rides' main theme will be the one from the 2009 Duel Live instead of the normal Duel theme.

IMPORTANT
The Blasters and LED targets will be turned off.

In the first scene, a curtain will be (permanently) placed in front of the breathing wall, hiding it from view. (This curtain will be able to be pulled down in front of the breathing wall, and then hoisted back up out of view when you are done with it). It will have the same wall texture on it, but with loads of phrases scrbbled on it, (example of some of the phrases - 'IT STALKS THE DARKNESS, - NO ESCAPE ,- STAY IN THE LIGHT ,- HE IS WATCHING, - RUN ,- IT IS NOT A HUMAN, - STAY OUT OF THE FOREST'  and many more).

When it gets to the Screaming Bust, instead of the usual strobe lights, it will have a dim light (same colour as the lights in the outdoor graveyard queue).

In the Dining Hall, everything will be normal, except for an actor dessed as a maid.

After the Dining Hall, everything is normal, until you get to the spinning tunnel, which will have an actor in the archway to the left (dressed as a female cook) scaring people (by banging a wooden spoon on a pot), to distract riders from the animatronic zombie that usually jumps out at riders from the right of the tunnel. After this, the tunnel itself and the splitting face at the end of it will be normal.

The next scene will be normal as well.

The next scene (Hall of Spiders), will be different with the first two zombie jump scares turned off entirely, and no lighting in the area of said zombie jump scares. Instead, there will just be a pair of red eyes accompanied by the sound of heavy breathing, like the eyes in Hex.
After this (when it comes to the first spider), the scene will be as normal, but with both of these jump scares turned off as well. They are instead, replaced by an actor scaring people and when it gets to the giant spider, there are no strobes but instead there is a deep blue light.
Like this.

The next scene after the giant spider (Electric Bill's Hallway/Seleton Hallway), the music in this scene will be quieter than normal and this scene will be alot diferent. There will be a dim light illuminating the (incredibly detailed) wall on the right hand side, and Electric Bill will do his same old routine of pulling the lever to plunge the room into darkness, but this time, when he does, everything will be pitch black, nothing to look at along the hall, instead the heavy breathing sound will come on again, (when the ride car is facing away from where Electric Bill was) a small white light will appear at the far end of the long hallway (The pair of red eyes will also re-appear behind the ride car at this point, just above where Electric Bill was) at this point, a voice will be heard.
Voice - "RUN TOWARDS THE LIGHT AND DON'T LOOK BACK".
At this point, the heavy breathing will be replaced with a loud growling noise coming from just behind the ride car slowly getting closer and closer.
Voice - "IT'S COMING RUN"!!!
When you get to the light, it will dissappear.
Voice - "NOW GO"!!!
At this point the growling will stop.

This next scene will be normal, but with slightly different sound.
The music will still be quieter than normal and the screams will also be quieter and you will hear the heavy breathing, but quieter than in the hall.
After the first wall mounted face, the breathing will start to get louder, and after the second wall mounted face, it will get even louder and then the monster will finally reveal itself.
This thing accompanied by a loud growling sound.

The next scene (garden/graveyard) will stay the same untill you pass the Undertaker when a howl will be heard and the hunchback thing on the wall well be replaced by a werewolf,
somthing like this.
It will then stay the same again until the very last seconds of it.
When it comes to the Piller Demon, there will be an actor dressed as a grave digger, who will bang his shoval on the wall to scare riders, and then the Piller Demon will appear.
The wall with the tunnel, leading to the lab scene, will have a curtain covering both the wall and the doors at the side, with a forest texture on it, so it looks like you are going into a forest.

The next scene will be completely different.
The final (usually the lab scene), will this time be the forest scene and have curtains covering almost all of the scene with a forest texture, making it so that you can't see any part of the lab scene.
After you go round the first corner, there is a bush that when passed by, will shake and make a growling noise. After this, there is nothing until it gets to where the zombie in the furnace usually is where there will be some bushes with an actor (dressed as a werewolf) inside them who will then jump out and scare the riders.
The photo point (instead of the normal window) will be a tree with a hole in the side (where the head will pop out of it to take your ride photo).
Just after this, you will start to hear a quiet growling noise, and as you go round the corner (were the zombies with blasters usually are), there will be a load of artificial branches, and as you go under it, a strobe will start from above the the branches (to mimic lightening accompanied by a clap of thunder) to reveal that there is a werewolf in the branches snarling and growling lowdly at you delivering one final scare.
somthing like this...just imagin that there is a werewolf in the large gap.
The wall with the gargoyal on and the one next to it, wth the doorway to the ride station in it, will NOT have a curtain on, giving the effect that you found your way back to the house.

The exit will be normal.

The End.
Last edited by Count-Vonduel on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count-Vonduel

Here is an idea for a new scaremaze at Scarefest, Enjoy.
vvv
The Farm of 1000 Screams
The Altonville Curse

By Count-Vonduel

The attraction will be at the Hotels, and have the same opening times as the other mazes when they were at the Hotels. The attraction will be on the old site of Feild of 1000 Screams and take up a bit larger space than the feild.

The premis of the attraction will be this.
vvv
You are among a group of urban explorers who were invited by Sam Alton to the now abandoned Altonville Farm with the promise of money for helping him to rid the farm of a curse and the catch?...People have recently started going missing from the farm on the neighbouring country lanes.

You enter the maze by going through a gate and round a corner. Upon rounding the corner you are greeted by a young man who introduces himself as Sam Alton.

"Ah you must be the backup I advertised for, I am Sam Alton...Welcome to Altonville Farm...or what's left of it at least. There is no time to talk here, follow me to somewhere safer, then I'll explain what's going on."

Sam leads the group down a path and into a campsite, where he breifs the group about what is going on.

"A few years back, I inherited the farm from my late uncle, he lived alone on the farm and that was that, nothing out of the ordenary...at least...not until four years ago when the local residents of Stafforshire started to complain of strange noises coming from the farm at night. After...I think 2 months of this, the noises just...stopped. Soon after, the locals started to notice something odd...My uncle was no longer being seen outside of the farm, and he stopped taking phone calls, and started ignoring the door. After a bit, the locals started to get worried, and a search party was sent out to look for him. But when the search party went into the farm...they never came out, so the council sent in a group of armed police officers to search the farm...That night, the locals heard screams and gunfire coming from the farm and the next day...the police, who went in were never seen again, so the farm got blocked off and was left abandoned for four years. I recently looked into the matter and found something...very disturbing...my uncle had been practicing necromancy. That's why I asked for help, I beleive that whatever is hapenning, is due to the necromancy and I was going to try and stop it...but I can't do it alone."

After this, Sam leads the group down another path and into a barn.

Upon getting to the barn, Sam opens the door and turns on a light (the barn has cow skulls hanging on the wall and in the center there is a ragged dark red cloth on the floor with a pentagram drawn on it and surrounded by burnt out candles). When the whole group is in the barn, Sam closes the door, after this Sam runs up to the cloth and picks up a broken walkie-talkie, covered in (fake) blood. At that moment the lights go out and (a speaker with a light sensor) plays a loud inhuman scream and the doors open again.

IMPORTENT
It is importent that the inhuman scream lasts for more than a split second, it is not a simple jump scare, but (something that I call) a long scare. This is where the sound lasts for more than a millie second and retains its' impact for more than a milli second, rather than simply startalling the riders, it will cause a few moments of panic before the brain comes to terms with the scare ultimately dilivering a really great scare and a huge shot of adrenaline.

After the doors open, Sam runs the group outside and leads them down another path. Halfway down the path, a zombie jumps out of some bushes to scare the riders and chase Sam and the group to the farmhouse, (the farmhouse from Feild of 1000 Screams). When they get to the farmhouse, Sam locks all the doors before talking to the group.

"Is everyone alright? We should be safe here...don't bother asking me what that was becuase I honestly don't know. This used to be a shed, but it was cleared out and made into a small room with a bed, then some more rooms were built onto the side and it was eventually turned into a small house. I think it would be best to wait in here until daylight and then leave"

Sam turns on the old TV, and the news is on (possibly using the news broadcast from the Feild of 1000 Screams) There is a reporter talking about some strange dissappearences, when a zombie attacks him, after this Sam looks out of the window.

"There's one outside"

He swiches the TV off and goes into the next room and comes back with a shotgun.

"I visited my uncle when I was a child once and he showed me this gun"

A zombie starts banging on the window but Sam goes outside and shoots it, (the gun is a prop that ejects smoke when the trigger is pulled) but the zombie gets up again, so Sam runs inside and more zombies come. What follows is pretty much a clone of the farmhouse final from the Feild of 1000 Screams.

Sam leads the group to the back door and tells them to run while he stays behind to buy them time (much like in Field of 1000 screams)

The group then enter the mazes climax in the form of a tense run to the exit with zombies attacking from all sides.

When the group gets to the farm gate, a zombie runs in front of them, blocking their escape and the zombiefied reporter from the news broadcast comes toward the group from behind and chases them down a path.

Upon going down the path, the group are greeted with a wooden arch made out of planks with the (now faded) words painted on it "HAY! What's That in the Darkness?" and a broken sign reading £2 entry. (HAY! What's That in the Darkness? is a walkthrough made out of bales of hay with a few cheap halloween decorations used as props as the group go through the walkthrough, some more zombies jump out, and chase the group, and eventually chase the group out the Exit of the walkthrough, thus ending 'The Farm of 1000 Screams'.
Last edited by Count-Vonduel on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maseyg123

I was thinking that a Where's Wally dark ride would be great! You travel around a transit system surrounded by 3D characters and sets each having an LED light on, and the ride ops would position Wally in a different place every day. It would be a different set in every room, and you use a gun similar to Duels' to shoot at Wally: getting points if you shoot him; and losing points if you shoot somebody else... Just an idea for a children's dark ride, maybe would fit in the old ice rinc?? :)
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
TomL

I was thinking of a scarefest attraction a while ago which is essentially a developed version of Zombies Scxare Zone they have at the moment. I got the idea from this you tube video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0PpSlINWI which is a video of an event they hold at an arena annually called the walking dead which is held in San Diego. This is an assault course where you have to dodge being touched or infected zombies.

The attraction would be held next to 13 and it would take the path around the far end of the dark forest and continue to the food stall and queue times board next to the towers. You would have to dodge the wraiths instead of zombies in an adventure assault course where you have to crawl, climb and dodge obstacles which include vines, army netting in the floor and fallen trees. If you get touched, you are 'infected' and don't receive a medal at the end. The attraction will be paid for at the price of £8. It shall be called Surrender.

another idea I had was for a new generation winged coaster which used an ABC rides drop tower in a pretty show. It would be in a new land themed around tropics and islands like Jamaica. This ride would be themed around a cocoa plant and the preshow would begin like a tour of the plant. You would be put onto spots much like the ones in sub Terra or oblivion and be greeted and spoken too. You will then be asked to make your way into one of 2 shipping containers where the ABC drop tower would be situated, you first watch a video and then you begin to rise and you then realize that a crane has mistook you for another crate (this is the drop tower raising) and then suddenly, crash, loud noises as you plummet on the drop tower you then get hurried out and continue on with the tour. Boats carry you through a rainforest full of cocoa plants with added water effects eg water cannons people shoot from. You then enter a boathouse where suddenlyyou begin to rise up a lift hill and then, you drop on a log flume with an airtime hill at the bottom. Up the lift him, its dark and over the crest its covered with what seems like barrels dropping pinto your head on the wall in front of you when you drop. You disembark the boat where the ride ends. The ride will be named after the company running the cocoa plant. Something like Jamaican cocoa Imports co
RCandrew

I know they have drop rides, and people will probably disagree but still..
At disneyland my favourite ride has to be the Hollywood tower of terror!

So I think alton towers should make a similar ride in the towers and possibly into the ground to make it bigger, and it should contain some sort of story (maybe related to hex, and you are the falling branch?). Lightning effects could be used with flashes as you drop and rise, and drop and rise!

I only say this because I love e ride, and alton towers don't have a food drop ride that doesn't just go once! And the towers will surely give enough height? :lol:
Altontowersbarlow

Ok, so you see a building like Th13teens station, you enter and  you sit on a circle shaped carriage. Then your taken into a room that is pitch black and a video screen comes on and plays a little pre-show.  The video would say taking over for years the rabid tangles of the dark forest have unleashed fear in explores hearts, from the discovery of Th13teens Wraiths and the speedy Rita
have always stayed unexplained. Then the room would turn  completely dark , lights would flash in your face and  suddenly your cart will start spining as the ride will basicly be an enclosed  disko type ride  but with vertical sections. Instead of nemesis sub terra effects like a back poker, tiny lights in the corner of the room should reveal insects scuttling and then the lights would go off  as you hit the vertical section  on board effects should make you feel like you have insects crawling on your face, meanwhile a huge hole in the wall should appear ( not visable to riders). this time your cart will travel all the way into the hole and the room will go black again, as you are launched to the top of a huge vertical section you are held vertically and then the ligts quickly snap back on to reveal a wraith right in your face  and you shoot out of the wall and as the lights snap off quickly you fall all the way back down the vertical section while spinning. then you go back into the station.  :D
Thank You
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCandrew

altontowersbarlow wrote: Ok, so you see a building like Th13teens station, you enter and  you sit on a circle shaped carriage. Then your taken into a room that is pitch black and a video screen comes on and plays a little pre-show.  The video would say taking over for years the rabid tangles of the dark forest have unleashed fear in explores hearts, from the discovery of Th13teens Wraiths and the speedy Rita
have always stayed unexplained. Then the room would turn  completely dark , lights would flash in your face and  suddenly your cart will start spining as the ride will basicly be an enclosed  disko type ride  but with vertical sections. Instead of nemesis sub terra effects like a back poker, tiny lights in the corner of the room should reveal insects scuttling and then the lights would go off  as you hit the vertical section  on board effects should make you feel like you have insects crawling on your face, meanwhile a huge hole in the wall should appear ( not visable to riders). this time your cart will travel all the way into the hole and the room will go black again, as you are launched to the top of a huge vertical section you are held vertically and then the ligts quickly snap back on to reveal a wraith right in your face  and you shoot out of the wall and as the lights snap off quickly you fall all the way back down the vertical section while spinning. then you go back into the station.  :D
Thank You
Biiiiit confusing but I think I get it and it sounds good :)
Altontowersbarlow

Sorry I was in a rush. :)
TheOutpatient

I think these stories are getting much better. I especially like the climax of the story with the tree - would make an amazing centrepiece - the tree could have the green glow between/beneath parts of its texture.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Georgie

Spoiler
A terrifying sea creature has attacked Mutiny Bay and destroyed the flume.  Are ou brave enough to venture into the shipwreck and experience the ultimate water ride?

You enter the queue, not quite sure what to expect.  Your first sign that something is wrong is when you see a cage hanging above you that has been broken out of.  A nearby flood guard has had holes ripped into it, letting you to take a peek into what may lay before you, but it's not until you turn the corner until you realise the full extent of the devestation caused by this mysterious creature's rampage.  Sinking ships that have been half destroyed lay as far as the eyes can see as you cross the bridge and enter the station.  You move forward and climb into the boat anxiously as the ride begins.

After leaving the dock to explore the ruins, you find your vessil climbing up a submerged ship, before being tossed around by the Kraken and it seems that you end up being submerged underwater, but in reality you have entered a dark cave where the body of the monster itself awaits.  A drop in the dark leads you to a drop in the dark leading to a spectacular underwater glass tunnel.  However, the wonder does not last long as eventually, the creature attacks the tunnel, causing the water to seep in, and in a massive tidal wave, the boat is propeled up to the top of a lookout tower where it is spun around at the top before dropping out backwards.  After that, the boat turns again and returns to the station, but not before passers by use water cannons to give you an extra soaking!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Count-Vonduel

Here is a Flume retheme

Darkheart Cove
By Count-Vonduel

The Story
Captain Sharktooth Jack has gathered a crew and set out in search of the treasure of the legendery Captain Darkheart, and you are a part of his crew, you must venture into the heart of an uncharted Island just off the Coast of Mutiny Bay, not much is known about the Island exept for the stories. Local legends say that long ago the Island used to serve as a base for the evilest and most merceless pirate that ever lived...Captin Darkheart... But most people just called The Devil of The Sea. The legends say that he used to kidnap people, bring them back to the Island and kill them...just for fun. The most infamous tale is that as he aged, he started to get paranoid and that he got so paranoid that one night he mercelessly killed half of his crew. According to local legend, it is also said that he eventually got so bad that his crew decided to commit mutiny. They say that as he died he shouted a few last words, "YE ALL SHALL PAY FOR THIS, I SHALL SAIL THIS LAND UNTIL YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE BLOODLINES ARE ALL DEAD"!. Soon after the ships frst mate became the new captain, but within 2 years, he started having terrible nightmares about Captain Darkheart, and soon after this...he just vanished along with the ships treasure. Ever since then, Captain Dearkheart has been known as 'The Ghost of The Sea'.
Some say that Captain Darkheart still resides on the Island guarding his tresure.

The Entrance
The entrance for the ride will be pretty much the same apart from being painted from blue to brown (to mimic wood) and a few piratey things dotted around for good measure.

The Queue
The queue will go into a big ship facade with water underneath it to mimic boarding a ship (from here until the loading bay, the rides queue line audio will be heard). Upon entering the ship you will go round a corner and come into a wooden room with a cattle pen queue filling up the entire room. Along the walls will be a few portraits and paintings. After this room you will go round another corner down a hallway and out the other side of the ship where the queue will eventually go to the Ride Station.

Ride Station
The loading bay will still keep the hut like design from the flume, but will be re-painted to look like wood, and will have fishing nets (and other piratey stuff) hanging from the ceiling and the lights will be replaced with pirate lanturns.

Queuelind Audio
The queue line audio will be something peaceful yet forboding, like the Battle Galleons theme.

The Ride
when your boat leaves the station, there will be some talking as the boat goes around on its way to the lift hill.

Sharktooth Jack - "They say that Captain Darkhearts' Treasure be within his cave, but to get there ye need to go through the forest...the same forest where he used to hunt down and kill his victims...SO DON'T BE GETTIN YASELVES KILLED"!

After going up the lift hill (and down the small drop) the usually boring part of the flume will be decorated with wooden platforms on some of the trees with skelletons on them and a few skelletons in the branches. Halfway through this part there will be speakers hidden in the trees and as you pass by, some talking will be heard.

Captain Darkheart - "So...ye be huntin for me treasure...and what happens when ye find it?...how do ye be expectin to retrieve it in that small row boat of yours?...Ah but then ye will probably be tellin ye captain where it is....but there be one problem with ye plans...DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES! (evil laugh...possibly)"
After this you enter the dark tunnel (usually a red wooden shed looking thing). The outside will be a facade of some rocks and a skull shaped rock.
In the tunnel you can hear some more talking.

Captain Darkheart - "So ye found me lair...I welcome ye to Darkheart Cove...I hope ye be likin it because ye be never leavin"!

Upon exiting the first tunnel, some more talking is heard.

Captain Darkheart - "So ye be tryin to leave?...ye will be findin that there be no way out of this part of the woods"!

In this part of the woods there is a tree house with a ripped pirate flag on top and skelletons all over the place.
when you get to the secend dark cave there is more talking.

Captain Darkheart - "Ye found me treasure...a sight to behold isn't she?...but ye are not the first to be findin me treasure, there be the others before ye!"

The talking ends when the boat gets to where the bathtub was in the flume ride, but instead of the bathtub, there is a treasure chest surrounded by skelletons. When it gets to the jumpscare (the infamouse Flume Duck), the duck will be replaced by a giant skull (but still a jump scare). After exiting the second tunnel, some more talking is heard.

Captain Darkheart - "The People of Mutiny Bay made up a rhyme about me, ye want to hear it?"

When the ride gets to the final lifthill, the voice is heard again.

Captain Darkheart - "The ghost of the sea...the ghost of the sea...the ghost of the sea has lead the way...TO CERTAIN DOOM! TEHEHEHEHEEEE!"

After the drop, some more talking is heard.

Captin Sharktooth Jack - "Why are ye back without me treasure?...maybe the stories aren't true after all arr".

After this, the boat goes back into the ride station thus ending the ride.
LoopyDan

Black Hole Mission II: Like the old one, but with a few inversions in there :)
TheOutpatient

GThing64 wrote:
Spoiler
I like this. I see real potential in your spacial ability (I mean how slot things together, think Tetris) and with your theming elements.
And I know theres some technical elements from Journey To Atlantis but its ok because sometimes it works like that - a park see's something they like then pays the same people to work on a ride.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
leammiles

The History of Alton Towers.

I would like for this to be an actual historical tour around the Towers.  Either with a 'tour guide' or animated busts/suits of armour/paintings telling you spooky stories in different parts of the Towers.

The twist being that the deeper into the Towers you go, the spookier it gets.

The first few rooms would be well lit with historical stories about not just the towers themselves, but the grounds, the legends...talking about the chained oak, the previous owners and inhabitants of the towers.  They could drop subtle hints in the first part of the tour too.

"Many people believe the towers to be haunted, but over the years there has been no evidence of anything even remotely supernatural happening.  Its human nature to want to be scared.  People report seeing ghosts, feeling cold shivers, feelings of things moving but we have infrared CCTV in here as a precaution to health and safety and with thousands of hours of footage, we've never come across anything."

As you get deeper inside there will be really subtle effects that only one or two people may pick up on.  Paintings whose expressions change...If only one person notices it, no one else will believe it, but it will add to the effect.

The effects in rooms could be ghosts only visible from certain angles and furniture that slowly moves.

Toward the end of the tour though, things really start to go crazy with loud noises, holograms, ghosts projected around the rooms.

If it was done as a tour, the tour guide could really get a chance to shine telling stories, possibly improvising.

Then around scarefest, this could be redone with live effects.

It would get more people into the towers and would make people want to investigate the grounds and stories more.
leammiles

My idea for scarefest...

A stage show set around a magic act.

The show would start out with the magician welcoming everyone to the show as if it were just a magic act going on.

The magician would perform one or two minor tricks with volunteers from the audience, whilst telling a story of how magicians don't like performing around halloween historically as in the victorian days it would draw evil spirits.

The magician would then start moving into bigger illusions that seem more unbelievable, making people float or cutting a woman in half. Again telling a long story about how things start to seem a bit strange.

The final act would be making a woman disappear, however, the woman would not come back, at which point the magician breaks the act and says something has gone wrong...the person should be behind a curtain...but they arent there.  Thats when things on stage could start moving, the set collapsing and the spirits taking revenge on the magician. 

The magician would find himself being pulled toward some sort of death device by wraiths who appear, locking him in a cage with spikes above it.  Just as things look like they are getting too serious, the magicians assistant reappears to save the day.

My ending is a little weak, I don't know how to make it family friendly whilst also being spooky.

My original ending would be quite gory, with the magician dead...obviously that wouldnt work at alton towers.
Altontowersbarlow

We all seem to think that Dark rides are a vital part of a theme park and rides such as Duel and The Black Hole have been very popular. I thought it would be nice to share some ideas regarding story's and themes for future dark rides at Alton Towers :)
LCFCjames

I would like to see a dark ride simulator like the spider man ride and Harry potter ride at universal studios. I know they are expensive and take up a reasonable amount of space but it would be an incredible ride to have at Alton towers! I think the best area for one would be in the dark forest. The ride could be themed around the wraiths and thirteen etc. with the story revolving around the wraiths chasing you through the dark forest  :D it could work in mutiny bay as well, with the simulator themed around pirates and a battle on the seas. This would appeal more to a family audience, whereas in the dark forest it would be more of a thrill ride  8)
Burniel

I would call it the FREEFALL DROP COASTER.

I'd be a mediocre ride, but everyone would love me because I had a dark section with the world's first freefall drop and with a backwards section.
Wait, oh no 2010.
I would call it DUEL (previously haunted house)

A great ride, with some tacky shooting elements! Yeah!
Wait, oh no 2003
I would call it HEX.

A ride themed around the towers and it would be awesome! A dark, disorientating ride where nobody knows what to expect!
Wait, oh no 2000
I would call it CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - THE RIDE
Riders would wait a whole bloomin' hour and get to see some really rubbish animatronics of Roald Dahl characters they don't even like! Yeah!
Wait, oh no 2006
Looks like Alton Towers have quite a few dark rides already. Be interesting to see what people think though :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
lf2001

I would like to see the Ice Age film replaced by some sort of Ice Age dark ride. It would be for families and some sort of simulator.