Creative Ideas For new AT Attractions

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Danny

I'd like adventure land to be completely indoor with a largely themed building. Then extend sonic spinball all the way around this new building. They could almost double the length of the ride and have slow sections like crush's coaster. It could have a minor outdoor bit aswell :)
bensaund

I do feel Alton are ready for a very high tech dark ride just like you get in Orlando, but I wouldn't want it to replace Duel or the 4D cinema as those attractions work very well. CACF is one ride which does need replacing completely.

Also if you look on an aerial map of the Towers, behind Towers Street and CBEEBIES, there is a staff car park. Plus most of the shops on that side of Towers street are empty, you only have the pub, Box Office and Guest services on that side leaving room to use those shops for the entrance to a dark ride. Then the car park area at the back could be used for a large ride, it could be CBEEBIES themed or any theme to be honest, but if you have a transit system like Duel, Tomb Blaster etc in there, then you can take guests round on an adventure, it would not take up any green space, it would re-vitalise Towers Street drawing more people to the area too.

If you go down to the woods today
BenBowser

When spinball is removed, I would love for an Atlantis Dark Ride to open on the site of adventure land. The whole area would be indoors, and have the Lost City of Atlantis dark ride, with a basic Mack transit system. It would also have a major restaurant, shop, and a Magic Carpet. The whole building would have a massive and impressive facade of ocean rocks on the inside and outside. There would be small Sea Life tanks inside with basic fish.

The Dark ride would consist of a water transit system and have two drops. On the ride, guests would encounter people such as Mermaids and Neptune. It would have a deep story of the tale behind Atlantis with moments when the boat gets sprayed with water. Throughout the whole ride, a slow rumble noise can be heard to add to the mystery, along with the music.

I would also like Mutiny Bay to get a 4D dark ride on the current site of The Flume's lake. Based on a journey to Treasure Island. Whilst on the ocean during the ride, a thunderstorm would take place, casing a ship wreak.

Yep, either of those would be great.
lf2001

When Spinball is removed, I'd like it to be turned into a dark ride, would be a bit like Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris.
Last edited by lf2001 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannyski

My money, given AT just jumped into bed with the BBC is a Dr Who themed dark ride using a similar (but cheaper) transit system like Universals Harry Potter ride.  I'm not a massive Dr Who fan but its a really identifiable IP thats global and even if you don't like it you'll still understand whats going on - plus it'll be cheap to rent the rights and they might even be able to come up with some sort of bonkers story that would make sense as a backstory in the way that you wouldn't be able to do with anything else (you'd never get Spiderman or Transformers to fit into an AT backstory no matter no creative you got lol).

I'd say a logical place to put it would be behind the towers after the ride building of Hex - the opposite wing of the towers to where Hex is located is an ideal place for a queue line and its in need of restoration (something they'll have to do eventually) and there is lots of well hidden land behind there for the ride system.
Toonsville

I would also love to see a Garfield Dark ride to replace Ice Age Cinema and Old Nickelodeon Outta Control Building by merging them into one building, even if CCL was going to retheme into a cartoony themed area or something.
Last edited by Toonsville on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmed

What about using the old coaster corner area again? As far as I'm aware, the issue here was noise, height etc. So, indoor rides might be the solution. It's a big plot of land.

Thoughts?
Last edited by jmed on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

Jumping on the DrWho theme, Would love a Weeping Angels darkride maybe themed inside the castle or underneath it in a network of cellars, Or to replace Duel, a bit like the episode Blink with statues in the house.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
bensaund

Gets my vote
ADM182

The easy option for a Dr Who dark ride would be to use the 'great glass elevator' in CATCF, convert that to a Tardis! the side screens can be programed for anything so alien worlds, space, London, alpha century ect ect.
The lazy river aspect could do with being ripped out and replaced with a cart track system like Duel's but without the guns and have interactive elements for the rides with some simple sound effects and dry ice creating the illusion of the different Dr Who creature's lands.  You could easily have Cyber Men, weeping Angels, those funky rhino men and of course the Darleks before you escape in the Tardis.

Thoughts?
Last edited by ADM182 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

I am not doubting that these Doctor who rides are good ideas however I would not like to see a ride themed upon this. I know it is important for Theme parks to have IP's however with Ice age and Cbeebies I feel this could take away AT's originality. I really like AT's original and magical ideas and by taking things such as programmes and films to creates rides too much takes away the escapism and magical aspect of AT. I am definitely not doubting that your ideas are great as are the existing IP rides at AT but I feel we need an original dark ride from AT this time :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Dr Who has a massive following and it would be successful and attract lots of people.  I would not be against it to be honest.
jon18uk

Something similar to Spiderman at Universal IoA or Dinosaur at Disney AK would work well for a Doctor Who ride.
Martin

jon18uk wrote: Something similar to Spiderman at Universal IoA or Dinosaur at Disney AK would work well for a Doctor Who ride.
I like the idea of this sort of ride at Alton Towers.
But rather than it be themed round a TV program or film maybe Towers could come up with a story that involves all the themes of the rides.
This would have to include the Nemesis monster, the Wraiths from 13 and the Sanctuary, Hex and the witch's curse.
Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. Just basically base it round the myths of Alton Towers.
Last edited by Martin on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
Burniel

Martin wrote:
jon18uk wrote: Something similar to Spiderman at Universal IoA or Dinosaur at Disney AK would work well for a Doctor Who ride.
But rather than it be themed round a TV program or film maybe Towers could come up with a story that involves all the themes of the rides.
This would have to include the Nemesis monster, the Wraiths from 13 and the Sanctuary, Hex and the witch's curse.
Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. Just basically base it round the myths of Alton Towers.
It's a really nice idea with one really unfortunate flaw.

It would come outdated very quickly. As there is a new attraction/old one ripped out most years, a ride like this would be behind the times within 5 years. A real shame, I get where you're coming from as well.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Martin

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Martin wrote:
It's a really nice idea with one really unfortunate flaw.

It would come outdated very quickly. As there is a new attraction/old one ripped out most years, a ride like this would be behind the times within 5 years. A real shame, I get where you're coming from as well.
Sorry ILC, but I am going to disagree with you on this one.
Just because rides get replaced it doesnt mean the story becomes outdated. For people that dont know the stories around Towers and the rides it would give them new background knowledge of the place they are visiting and the rides thay are enjoying. And for those that are familiar with the stories it would keep the memories alive when the rides are replaced.
Last edited by Martin on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
Burniel

Say they built the ride and then due to unforeseen circumstances, 13 had to be knocked down.
What if SW8 has an important backstory and this ride has just been built?
This ride would really have to be updated every couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, and think it would be really great, but I just don't see it working.
Cookie Monster

It is a good idea but it all depends on the cost of updating the theming. If it costs too much then Merlin might not want to pay these costs. Also how would the stories transfer from one-another? Doors maybe?
Burniel

Cookie Monster wrote: It is a good idea but it all depends on the cost of updating the theming. If it costs too much then Merlin might not want to pay these costs. Also how would the stories transfer from one-another? Doors maybe?
Automatically opening doors would be awesome! :D
bensaund

Just look at HH/Duel 22 years old. Perfectly good ride only spoilt by the addition of lasers and thousands of LEDs.