As an Alton Towers fanboy/fangirl, what comments hurt you the most

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
theparklifekid

Thought I should restart this topic.

"Alton Towers is dangerous as you can loose your leg"

I hear this far too often & it just annoys me.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Liam.W

"Oblivion does a loop underground"
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

Not entirely the same as others are posting but:

Friends asking what I'm doing at the weekend, their response.. "Your going again....."

Makes me feel like I'm not normal and they think oddly of me for wanting to ride coasters most past weekends.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Morgan

I agree Andy, a friend once responded "Gosh, how often do you visit?"

The ones that annoy me most are the typical "it's closed it's not saaafe" or "Opening Smiler is a safety hazard" ](*,)

Also, someone asked "Have you been on The Colossal at Alton Towers"...
zakwoolley1

When people say ride names with a 'the' in front. The Nemesis. The Rita, The Thirteen, The Oblivion, The Air, etc...
Liam.W

zakwoolley1 wrote:When people say ride names with a 'the' in front. The Nemesis. The Rita, The Thirteen, The Oblivion, The Air, etc...
I'm guessing you mean the tabloids? :lol Saw a post by the sun the other day and it was about new rides you should try and visit this year. One of them was: "The Galactica looks incredible!"

alicheesy

Its not a comment, but it really annoys me when people sigh or don't listen to me when I'm talking about theme parks
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Burniel

Me: "I'm going to Alton Towers this weekend/soon"
Non-enthusiast: "Wait, are you going on that ride that crashed?"
Me: "Yes, I plan to go on The Smiler subject to reasonable queues."

This is then followed by an anti-Smiler comment. Here are some of the best I've had:

Oh no you don't want to do that, believe me.
Are you sure?
But didn't that ride kill a train of people?
Well, it was nice knowing you anyway.
But you might die! :O
Your legs belong to The Smiler.
You deserve to lose a leg if you go on that after what happened.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
S.J_O'Grady

"So sad they're changing Air, that was my favourite ride."
"How could they get rid of The Flume? It doesn't need replacing."

Yeah, cos Alton Towers should not have changed since 1980 and should be preserved in its current state for all eternity.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Sawboss

'Tickets cost an arm and a leg'
Oh good one, did you spend all day thinking that up or read one of the millions of other times people have made that joke?
Luce

More of an action, but people who try and queue jump by claiming that a relative/friend is further up in the line and then when you point out the reasons why that's not allowed, people moan at you :(
Ryan.B

That's one of the reasons I like the smilers queue, they can't queue jump :lol I've seen it so much I feel like it's necessary to have fences that high. Worst for it is Rush, people were just hopping over without even entering the queue straight onto the ride. One fence and one ride cycle, and they're on.
S.J_O'Grady

Oh I've thought of another one...

Once I overheard someone explaining the legend of the chained oak as if they knew absolutely everything about it.

Their version of the story went something like this: "So there's this ride that's actually inside the castle and it's based on a real life story. The King of Alton found this tree covered in chains in the woods and when a branch fell off it, he died. Then his family had to put the tree in the castle to try and figure out what happened and the tree is actually in the castle and you can see it. Oh yeah, and the room spins as well."

Never before have I wanted to scream so loudly.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Sawboss

The Sky Sailor wrote:Their version of the story went something like this: "So there's this ride that's actually inside the castle and it's based on a real life story. The King of Alton found this tree covered in chains in the woods and when a branch fell off it, he died. Then his family had to put the tree in the castle to try and figure out what happened and the tree is actually in the castle and you can see it. Oh yeah, and the room spins as well."
Haha, amazing. That's going in my signature :D
Adam.W

Me "I'm going to Alton Towers in 3 weeks!"
Friend: "Are you going on the smiler?"
Me: "Yes..."
Friend to other friend "Oh my god Adam's going to lose his leg!"

-sighs-
Liam.W

Adam.W wrote:Me "I'm going to Alton Towers in 3 weeks!"
Friend: "Are you going on the smiler?"
Me: "Yes..."
Friend to other friend "Oh my god Adam's going to lose his leg!"

-sighs-
I seem to be getting a lot of those comments too, including: "get a prosthetic leg at the ready for when you come off!"

Sawboss

I was chatting to someone at work the other day about it, were talking about theme parks and I said I was off to Towers later this year. She asked if I was worried about going on the one that crashed. I said no and explained to her what happened, what caused the crash (she was suprised it was human error) and what new safety measures have been added. Her response was 'Oh fair enough then'.

When they've got the actual information most people are pretty reasonable, at least people who aren't more interested in just making SHOCKING....ly unoriginal jokes about mutilation.
Ryan.B

Why do you like Alton towers so much, it's odd?When people view it as strange, would be different if we viewed one of their hobbies strange like football. Plus why does it matter when all you're going to do is keep asking. Gets on my nerves so much!
NeoXIII

Me: "Yay, theme park season starts this weekend!"
Friend in group chat: "Cool, imma start a prosthetic leg business up for seasonal trade!"
Another friend: "How much will they cost? An arm?"
:(
RedStar98

I personally prefer Thorpe Park to Alton Towers, and so it really annoys me when people put down/insult Thorpe or its rides.