Alton Towers Rollercoaster Phobia

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
altonfan1

Hello all,

In around 3 weeks time I am going to Alton Towers for the first time.

I am pretty terrified to go on all the rides; I have not been on a rollercoaster for 10 years! And that even was a fairly tame rollercoaster; I have not been on an upside down one before.

I am going with a bunch of confident riders who are planning to sit on every ride, including Nemesis and the Smiler, and I don't want to be the only one left out.

Is there any advice anyone can give me to overcome this phobia? I really don't want to be the one chickening out at the queue, but am worried my nerves will get the better of me.

Thanks in advance :P
Owen

Go for he less intense one first, ill PM you a list...hold on...
girlgooner

Defo go for less intense maybe air as that is really smooth have an awesome day though x
Alex

As Laura said, Air and the RMT are the less intense coasters so they would be a good starting point. Next you have 13 and Rita both have "thrills" but aren't too intense and will build you up well to the big 3.
Alex.D

Definitely dont do what my dad made me do. Go straight on oblivion. :P But seriously start with air or 13. They are the least scary and intense. Build up the courage and then you should be loving nemesis by the end of the day.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
altonfan1

Thanks everyone for the advice  :)
Astro61201

dont do what i did it was my first time at AT so I decided to go on oblivion first i would recommend going on 13 first as it is not scary or intense then rita then air then blivvy then nemmy and finally when you are ready squirrel nutty!
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
Danny

I was thrown in at the sort of deep end by doing Rita first, which was a complete shock to the system as I hated rides at the time :P I recommend you start with Thirteen to get the classic kind of rollercoaster feel [albeit with the obvious twist], then Air. Obviously Runaway Mine Train is also a good place to start for a credit, but it hardly offers anything that's comparable to the other rollercoaster experiences.
altonfan1

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all your advice.I managed to conquer all my fears and sit on all the big rides! I started somewhat apprehensively on Thirteen but then dashed on to Rita immediately. The start was a shock to the system but I managed to get through it. Next was Air, which I absolutely loved!Then paused for lunch and went to the Nemesis queue,but it was too much for me at that point and could not get in the queue.I then managed to buy some passes for the next day at the theme park and see how I felt.So, after a relaxing morning in the water park, I found myself at the Nemesis queue.And this time I did it!The ride was more exhilarating than scary and an amazing feeling when I got off. the confidence was sky high at this point and I went for Oblivion, which I completed with relative ease.And then,to finish the day, The Smiler!! Where I realised going upside down was the best feeling ever!
Thanks guys and I hope my story helps others who are struggling to overcome their fears!  :D
stormeduke

I know this is an old post. I'm terrified of rides and can only do the RMT and want to do Thirteen. Is the first drop as steep and big as it seems?
Dan

stormeduke wrote:I know this is an old post. I'm terrified of rides and can only do the RMT and want to do Thirteen. Is the first drop as steep and big as it seems?
It is fairly steep but it isn’t very big. There’s also a trim brake on the drop that takes some of the momentum out of it, so it’s nothing to be worried about.

Let us know how you get on :)