Congo Waterfalls

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Count-Vonduel

so far everytime I have been to AT I have gone on Congo but never once have I ever got wet from the waterfalls, I am just wondering if anyone has ever got wet from them or am I just lucky?
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
bensaund

The one thing about the rapids is the complete un-predictability of what is going to happen. You can sometimes go round and be dry, other times get very wet. I always try to rock the boat to ensure at least somebody gets wet in the wave machine areas.

I have done the rapids, a good 50 times and once (two weeks ago), the boat went over to the left and all the water poured on to somebody, as it wasn't me I found this most amusing.

:D
If you go down to the woods today
Themeparksandy1981

I don't know if anyone on here knew about this but during the first years of operation the rapids were a lot rougher than they are today. They were that rough that 1 day it turned 1 of the boats over. I'm not sure how many people were on the boat at the time but 1 person was trapped underneath and drowned. I heard that they had 2 turn off 2 of the water pumps so it like what it is today.
Count-Vonduel

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I don't know if anyone on here knew about this but during the first years of operation the rapids were a lot rougher than they are today. They were that rough that 1 day it turned 1 of the boats over. I'm not sure how many people were on the boat at the time but 1 person was trapped underneath and drowned. I heard that they had 2 turn off 2 of the water pumps so it like what it is today.
Thanks for sharing that I'm now scared to go on it becuase...well lets just say I'm larger than most people and when I go on a ride like rapids, I tend to way the boat down on my side...I also have a fear of water and am unable to swim.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Shockadelica

I don't recall that happening at Alton Towers.
However I do remember that during its first year of operation, the Thorpe Park Rapids had a boat capsize and the worst that happened was a young boy had part of his ear ripped off.
For the third time that day, his flaps fell off.
bensaund

Just like Rumba at Thorpe, the ride has 4 pumps and they always operate on 3...
If you go down to the woods today
Sam198

That incident, or anything vaguely resembling it, has never occurred at Alton Towers. I believe you might be confusing it with one that did take place at Six Flags Over Texas in March 1999, in which the deflation of a Roaring Rapids boat's skirts resulted in it capsizing, subsequently resulting in the death of a 28 year old woman.
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.B

:x BACK ON TOPIC  :x, the reason you never get wet under the waterfall, is because the force on both sides is so big, it just pushes the boat into the centre of the track (if you like). Also, if only one side is working (as it has done a couple of times when I've been), it just pushes the boat over to the other side!
DrReeve

Count-Vonduel wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I don't know if anyone on here knew about this but during the first years of operation the rapids were a lot rougher than they are today. They were that rough that 1 day it turned 1 of the boats over. I'm not sure how many people were on the boat at the time but 1 person was trapped underneath and drowned. I heard that they had 2 turn off 2 of the water pumps so it like what it is today.
Thanks for sharing that I'm now scared to go on it becuase...well lets just say I'm larger than most people and when I go on a ride like rapids, I tend to way the boat down on my side...I also have a fear of water and am unable to swim.
there would be a strong current but im its not too deep. Note if you do fall out feet first (you have more chance of winning the lottery) You can use your feet to guide you. :P
Image credit to Lewis97
TomL

They are designed to keep you in the center however from my last visit, I discovered you can get soaked and go straight into them! I think the only way to get wet on them is if you first go towards either the left or the right upon entering thembut after then you should more or less get pushed into the middle