Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""Timmy152005""]There filling thr lakes in. They have already started to do it. If you look in the side where stealth is theres sand at the edges, Which is being increased. Then the islands will be created. Then there areas created will have bridges and stuff to them in which will be rides. But most probs the coasters will be based over the water.[/quote]

This area thats currently being infilled is to make way for the Thorpe Park Hotel! This is why the Thorpe Farm has closed as excess water will overflow into the farm.

They will then do some general infilling at the edges of the main island to expand it a bit, then they will be infilling at the edge of the main land around it, like what there currently doing for the hotel. Then finally they will do some infilling in the centre of the lake to create islands.

Plans Below. :)

Overview Including Rides

Overview Showing Proposed Lake Infill Sites
John

[quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""]The plan on the MTDP is not the final plan, it was Air's layout and they placed it there as an example to show the sort of size of what the ride would be[/quote]

Oh yeah, for some reason I didn't spot that the first time I saw the plans, despite me drawing plans of air when I'm bored in lectures sometimes. Maybe I subconsciously noticed it was air and thats why I thought it was a flier.

I still hope it isn't a flier, as I'd like thorpe to get something different - if thorpe and alton keep getting the same ride types there would be no real point in visiting both.
Ash

Wow! :D

Island B seems to scream "Mega/Giga/Hyper Coaster!"

Island A seems to ask for a large coaster project along with C.

E is for the Hotel/Hotels on the way!

Any more information on the developments?
AstroDan

Yeah, but Ash - they have a height ceiling.
Ash

Yes but its nearly three times the height of Altons!

If Thorpe kept helping the community whos to say they couldnt get a really high coaster. I think we will see a flyer, floorless and maybe something different in the future.
fitchy

[quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""][quote=""Timmy152005""]There filling thr lakes in. They have already started to do it. If you look in the side where stealth is theres sand at the edges, Which is being increased. Then the islands will be created. Then there areas created will have bridges and stuff to them in which will be rides. But most probs the coasters will be based over the water.[/quote]

This area thats currently being infilled is to make way for the Thorpe Park Hotel! This is why the Thorpe Farm has closed as excess water will overflow into the farm.

They will then do some general infilling at the edges of the main island to expand it a bit, then they will be infilling at the edge of the main land around it, like what there currently doing for the hotel. Then finally they will do some infilling in the centre of the lake to create islands.

Plans Below. :)

Overview Including Rides

Overview Showing Proposed Lake Infill Sites[/quote]

The Farm Closed because the station of the 2009 coaster is to be located on the tracks of the cc railroad, and pumps trenches were planned to be used to move excess water from the infiling without the trains their is no transport to the farm.
Queen of Speed

No, the farm closed because Tussauds (not Thorpe Park) decided it wasn't worth keeping it open. It didn't get in the way of any future developments.
Anonymous

[quote=""Titler""]Yes but its nearly three times the height of Altons!

If Thorpe kept helping the community whos to say they couldnt get a really high coaster. I think we will see a flyer, floorless and maybe something different in the future.[/quote]

I vaguely remember Dan Ketteringham saying something once about the height ceiling in relation to Stealth. Wasn't it something along the lines of if they were allowed to get Stealth, they couldn't go over a certain (much lower) height in the years after? Or that they were allowed ONE coaster of that sort of height? Damn my crap memory.

I might be totally wrong, and it wasn't Dan who said that, but this is what my memory is telling me. *shrugs*
Nick

Yeh Stealth is a one off. Nemesis Inferno is probably just under the height limit? Because detonator has to re-apply for permission to stay.

Also on those plans, isn't the area marked "B" supposed to be the land where the hotel is?
AstroDan

So we can probably say that Thorpe Park's Height Ceiling for the next major installation is going to about 100'.

To put this into some context the height change experienced on Air at Alton Towers is 66' from the ground, but as we are aware it does go under ground level slightly at points - so i'd say the total height change is probably around 80'. This would mean Thorpe COULD install a flyer that would be able to go faster and more intense than Air. Superman: Ultimate Flight clones are 106' - perhaps Thorpe could opt for something along these lines?

When it comes to Floorless, the highly-rated Daemonen type of ride could be an option as it only has a height of 92' and a fairly small footprint - yet all the noises are that this is a great rollercoaster.

Mega / Hyper coasters like Silver Star and Nitro can probably be forgotten about to be honest. They need 150' plus at least.

In any case, it's all very well and good discussing B&M's to the park, but frankly Intamin is almost to Thorpe Park what B&M is to Alton Towers - so I could easily see them building an Intamin.

Intamin could probably do wonders with 100' as their steel coasters, so far as I am aware, are able to have smaller footprints than B&M equivalents. A straight-forward Airtime monster would be pretty cool at Thorpe Park - Tussauds park lack any genuine Airtime-filled rollercoaster in Britain and this would give Thorpe Park a lot of credit from the rollercoaster community.

:D
Ash

But they want credit with the public and not us?!

Which is why i can see and Flyer having more marketability over some airtime crammed intamin to be honest!
Wes

[quote=""NickAndrews""]Also on those plans, isn't the area marked "B" supposed to be the land where the hotel is?
[/quote]

The Waterside hotel is planned to go next to the car parks of the opposite side of the lake. Next to the section 3.
AstroDan

[quote=""Muggins""][quote=""NickAndrews""]Also on those plans, isn't the area marked "B" supposed to be the land where the hotel is?
[/quote]

The Waterside hotel is planned to go next to the car parks of the opposite side of the lake. Next to the section 3.[/quote]

Is that the official name of the hotel, or just what you're calling it?

:shock:
Ash

Official Name i think? Ive heard it bantered around a lot.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""AstroDan""]

Is that the official name of the hotel, or just what you're calling it?

:shock:[/quote]

That is not its official name, enthusiasts are calling it that as the Hotel will be waterside, it will be on the edge of the lake so the views from the bedrooms will bo looking out over the lake at the park.

It could be the official name, but no details have been released as of yet on the name. So at this moment in time it's just something enthusiasts are calling it.
Ash

That is not its official name,
Oooops! Sorry my mistake!

I thought as its being used so often it could be, and it seems to fit so well!
AstroDan

Well I do hope they don't call it that. It's totally and utterley bland. The 'Thorpe Park Hotel' would probably the best way forward. 'Waterside Hotel' is just, well... UGH! No good. Mind you, the hotel looks like a typical health club-esque hotel, so maybe the name Waterside would be good.
Danzaw*nk

I reckon Thorpe could do something special with their land and their height. Hulk at IOA is 110' so Thorpe could probably bargain for that. Then look at the Hulk! If you have ridden it you will know what an amazing coaster it is. Honestly, if Thorpe got a B&M Steel Twister then they'd be able to do something amazing as I rate The Hulk as one of the best coasters to be built :D.

Alternatively they could do a 4D coaster but X is 175' but then Terra Mitica's (or whatever) is gonna be 85' so Thorpe could easily build something there.

But yes, Thorpe's future does look to be amazing. They have a lot of potential :D.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Ketchup

[quote=""Danzaw*nk""]Honestly, if Thorpe got a B&M Steel Twister then they'd be able to do something amazing as I rate The Hulk as one of the best coasters to be built :D.[/quote]

B&M don't do launchs, the only reason why Hulk has a launch was because it was added on by another company. (Either Premier or Universal itself I think) It was also designed so incase the launch didn't work it could easily be replaced by a lift hill and have the Zero G Roll removed making it act like a typical B&M Sit Down like Kahn or Kumba.

And whilst I agree its a world class ride I can't honestly see Thorpe getting one like it, that and it's to damn similar to Coloussus in the eyes of the GP. If Thorpe do invest in a traditional inverting coaster it will probably be a B&M Floorless which I can't see being likely either.
Alternatively they could do a 4D coaster but X is 175' but then Terra Mitica's (or whatever) is gonna be 85' so Thorpe could easily build something there.
Unless Terra Miticas and that Linnanmäki's Intamin 4D is a prototype and is only an indiction of what they will be able to pull of in the near future. I really hope Thorpe don't invest in one. To be fair I expect more from Tussauds than investing in a small rather unexciting coaster. However if Intamin build on the layout, like what Maurer Sohner have done with the X-Car for all I know it might be a good new addition. However after all of Thorpe's mechanical issues with Stealth I have a feeling Tussauds will want a solid coaster with very little reliability issues which this rather complicated ride looks like it might have.

Also earlier in the thread AstroDan claimed that the ride will be an Intamin, can I just say that if by any chance it turns out it will be a Hyper i'm almost certain it will not be an Intamin one due to the coasters past unfortunate safety record, which is a shame as they really make the B&M equivalent look crap. But to be fair I doubt it will be a hyper due to Thorpe's height ceiling.

If I had to bet on what the new coaster is it would be a Superman style B&M Flyer, maybe with a bit more of an extended layout using some of the elements Tatsu has implemented. Such as the horseshoe or prehaps even a corkscrew.
HAJiME

I heard a rumour that Thorpe where looking into somthing not disimilar to Hulk.

Then i though - A launched flying coaster would be amazing, but that ain't gunna happen.

Thorpe are really bad at sticking to plans. It's not like there's any excuse either, because they don't have a problem getting most things accepted.

When there was news of an out and back woodie for Thorpe a while back, it was obvious that it was just a reject project from Alton - Now AT might be on the horizon again with that woodie, the Thorpe woodie got dropped because of density fo structure? Not that i ever wanted a woodie for Thorpe.

I still want that mega.

Qutie frankly - anything new to the uk and i'll be happy.