Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

I've always found Saw very rough and can very much take it or leave it. Justin does raise an interesting point about how people fit in the restraints though. I have quite a bit of clearance between my shoulder and the top of the restraint which means my head is level with the padding so I do tend to get a fair amount of 'head-banging' when riding, something which makes it very unpleasant for me.

I had always just assumed that the roughness was just a trait of the ride being made by Gerstlaurer, however, after riding Karacho at Tripsdrill earlier this year which was incredibly smooth I now know that's not the case.
Owen

Smiler313 wrote:If I like The Smiler, will I like Saw: The Ride?
I find Saw to be more violent in how it takes on the elements, however I really enjoy this as it makes it seem equally as mad as The Smiler for a much shorter ride.

I also find it perfectly smooth 9 times out of 10 so it shouldn't be too different for the most part - although brace yourself for the exit of the mid-course brakerun and final inversion! :)
Luce

I've always found Saw a bit of a strange ride really in that when it first opened it was very smooth and I loved it but over the years it has become very rough and jolty, especially on the bottom of the vertical drop. However, towards the end of this season I found it wasn't too bad and actually enjoyable again which seems odd to me as I'd started to believe that it just hasn't aged well.

Also, it will be interesting to find out how it rides next season after winter maintenance but I hope it won't be as rough.
MakoMania

I rode SAW during Fright Nights 2013, hated it was so rough. Rode it at Fright Nights 2015 during Scaremazing South and it was so smooth that it jumped up to my favourite ride at Thorpe!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
streetmagix

I rode Saw a couple of times during the Passholders Preview day on Sunday. I had 2 observations:

1) It was SO much smoother than last year. Maybe it was running slower than usual due to the temperature/early in the season?

2) The indoors section was much brighter, you could see the section of track with the 'air guns' before the drop into the spikes. I'm sure it was pitch black last year!

It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite rides at Thorpe now assuming it remains this smooth. Time will tell I guess. The Smiler got rougher as the season went on last year which was a real shame.
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

The lighting on the inside always varies, like last year on one visit the lighting was exactly as you described for your recent visit. Thorpe aren't exactly the most consistent park for theming and props

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sawboss

Just wondered, have the blades been turning recently?
Morgan

I've been on the ride a few times this season and unfortunately they haven't been, which is a shame considering they're either broken or turned off.
Sawboss

Ah that's a shame, it seems to be off more times than on for whatever reason.
hookyman

A little bit of an embarrasing question here but, does Saw have a lot of loud noises inside? I've got this annoying fear of load sudden noises. I know they are designed to scare you but it really panics me. If i know what to expect, it tends to calm my nerves. Cheers.
ThemeCrafter264

hookyman wrote:A little bit of an embarrasing question here but, does Saw have a lot of loud noises inside? I've got this annoying fear of load sudden noises. I know they are designed to scare you but it really panics me. If i know what to expect, it tends to calm my nerves. Cheers.
I'm awful with loud sounds, so much so that I left DBGT:ROTD in the middle, so definitely don't feel like you're the only one who doesn't enjoy loud sudden noises. But back to what you asked, you may hear a loud sudden shotgun sound when you go up the stairs in the queue line. My best suggestion is simply just put your hands on your ears and you'll be completely OK. On ride, there is only 1 moment in the MCBR where there is a fairly loud sound but just watch POVs so you know what to expect. When you go down the stairs, after riding, Jigsaw says a message quite loudly so just be aware of it. Hope that helps! :)
hookyman

Ahhh thanks for that, i'd heard that there was a shotgun in the queue. I would be on edge the whole time, so at least i have an idea of where it is. I'm guessing the MCBR has a kind of loud hissing sound similar to Thirteen, when the track drops. I can sort of cope with that. I'm trying hypnotherapy to try and snap myself of of the fear, as i will be going to Fright Nights this year and really want to conquer the fear. It just limits what i can do sometimes. Maybe some ear plugs will help :D
Nickolai

With the shotgun, it seems that you hear the gun get loaded before firing, so that is your que for putting your hands over your ears! I'm also not a fan of loud noises either! :)
Formally Smiler313
hookyman

Tbh, it does make me feel better, knowing that there is a que before it fires. Just allows me to prepare. It's not so much the loud noise, but the not knowing when it's going to happen that puts me on edge ha. I think its called Phonophobia. But disregarding that, i am desperate to get on this ride, i do have a bit of a soft spot for Gerstlauers.
Justin

It is a marmite ride; some love it and some hate it. Personally, I love it and find it an exciting ride. Yes, it can be rough but that can be forgiven for the great theming!

Enjoy your visit :)
Chris
Admin
Admin

The deal breaker for me is literally the severe bump after the first drop in to the immelmann. Goes straight to my head.
theparklifekid

Saw was one of the rides that made me an enthusiast in the first place (along with Air), so for me, even though its a little rough here and there, it is always in my heart and I'll always try to ride it when I visit Thorpe.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Dungeon-X-Smile

Saw is not a ride I think of when I think of rough... though I can definately see why people think this. The worst problem I ever get from the restraints is when they lock tighter because of the G force of the ride.
Personally, I've never had a rough time on Saw and it's one of my favs at Thorpe. Must do, in my opinion.
hookyman

Well, i sent a message not so long ago about being nervous of loud sudden noises. Managed to get to Fright Nights at the weekend and i've got to say, this is now probably my favourite ride at the Park. I was genuinely suprised at how smooth it was considering the reports of it being rough. Two times out of two, no issues at all. I did do speed at oakwood a few weeks ago. I thought that was as rough as hell compared to this. I found saw a really great experience, especially in the dark.
Adz
Admin
Admin

My issue with Saw isnt that it's rough throughout, but it has one very nasty jolt at the bottom of the first drop which leaves you with concussion for the rest of the ride. I think this gives the impression it's a lot rougher than it is. The train jolts so violently most people hit their heads on the back of the headrest. 

You can actually see the kink in the track itself, it's just as it levels out after the blade spinner on the first drop.