Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Adam

I have to disagree. I think Thorpe have it spot on! The themeing is excellent park wide! From the little things down to the water marks on the outside of the KFC building in (cal)Amety, making it look like it was once underwater, to big things like the whole colossus area. And Pirates 4D is amazing inside! It is sooooo much better than in the states. Over there, they dont even theme inside!

Thorpe in my opinion is amazing with themeing. And i think this new coaster will be just as good, if not better! :)

*Adäm
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""Matt_""]It's not tacky, I'm just picking the ride out as an example of how Thorpe's themeing isn't amazingly good.[/quote]

It's not amazingly good, yet its not as Image as everyone makes it out to be!

Stealth does not have in depth theming like Expedition Everest, but does that make it poorly themed because it's not in depth. They have themed buildings, themed station and entrance even themed curbs for christs sake. Enthusiasts are so damn fussy, what more could of been done in the Stealth area ?

As for maintaining the theming, well Inferno is not falling apart like you say, the effects just need to be sorted out, replace a few light bulbs and turn on the pumps, the geysers (sp?) in the ponds do work, they have been working this year, also the mist in the Tunnel is working. There a bits and bobs that need to be done but nothing thats making it fall a part.

Colossus, well the theming yet again is not in depth but its not as Image as enthusiasts make it out to be, themed buildings, themed bridges and walls as well as a themed lake underneath it. The Colossus pond connects with the main lake, so anti-alge checmicals cannot be placed in there, so unless Thorpe Staff are going to clean the pond out everyday (Blanket Weed and Alge can all grow back within 2 days and in a pond that size it could take a few hours to completely scrub up) it's pointless. All they need to do is make sure the pond is topped up, turn on the Medusa fountain and scrub the walls a bit.

Thorpe's theming is made out to be really crap by a lot of enthusiasts in the UK, Thorpe always put a lot of effort into theming and they maintain the theming well, they only thing they do not maintain is the effects, if they can maintain the effects there would be no problem. Then a lick of paint every now and then just to remove graffiti and what not but every park has this problem not just Thorpe.

At least Thorpe put some effort into there rides, at least they dont just slap a ride on a car park and leave it at that (Which they could easily do, but they don't they landscape the area and theme it to a good standard). They theme there shops and food outlets which yet again most other places would not do. Thorpe think rides through and dont build a ride for the sake of it, they would rather wait a few years to plan it all correctly and have it placed and done to a good standard rather than just rush it.

An example of this is Stealth, sure it's not very unique layout wise but Thorpe spent a few years planning that and making sure they did it properly and the ride was placed in an area of the park where it was suited, and the ride whether you like it or not suits Thorpe Park and is the type of ride you would expect to see built there. Rita on the other hand was rushed, built in a poor location and it just does not feel like it should be at Alton Towers.
Last edited by Dr Pop Rocket on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenZero

[quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""][quote=""Matt_""]It's not tacky, I'm just picking the ride out as an example of how Thorpe's themeing isn't amazingly good.[/quote]

It's not amazingly good, yet its not as Image as everyone makes it out to be!

Stealth does not have in depth theming like Expedition Everest, but does that make it poorly themed because it's not in depth. They have themed buildings, themed station and entrance even themed curbs for christs sake. Enthusiasts are so damn fussy, what more could of been done in the Stealth area ? [/quote]

Alot more could have been done, for example the car that it sitting near Atlantis Dome could be put in the area.
As for maintaining the theming, well Inferno is not falling apart like you say, the effects just need to be sorted out, replace a few light bulbs and turn on the pumps, the geysers (sp?) in the ponds do work, they have been working this year, also the mist in the Tunnel is working. There a bits and bobs that need to be done but nothing thats making it fall a part.
The geysers very rarely are turned on/work. The mist in the tunnel is sometimes not turned on, as you say nothing is broke, the effects just need fixing and the ponds and stuff need clearing up. It'll never come back but the amazing chippings like lava used to be a very cool effect.
Colossus, well the theming yet again is not in depth but its not as Image as enthusiasts make it out to be, themed buildings, themed bridges and walls as well as a themed lake underneath it. The Colossus pond connects with the main lake, so anti-alge checmicals cannot be placed in there, so unless Thorpe Staff are going to clean the pond out everyday (Blanket Weed and Alge can all grow back within 2 days and in a pond that size it could take a few hours to completely scrub up) it's pointless. All they need to do is make sure the pond is topped up, turn on the Medusa fountain and scrub the walls a bit.
I'm not complaining about the amount of algae that forms in the pond, I'm just stating that Colossus's themeing could be much better.
Thorpe's theming is made out to be really crap by a lot of spoilt enthusiasts in the UK, Thorpe always put a lot of effort into theming and they maintain the theming well, they only thing they do not maintain is the effects, if they can maintain the effects there would be no problem. Then a lick of paint every now and then just to remove graffiti and what not but every park has this problem not just Thorpe.
I'm not a 'spoilt enthusiast' as you say, infact I've never even been to a Theme Park abroad except one in Italy and Disneyland Paris. So I dont think anyone who complains about Thorpe being averagley themed should be labled a 'spoilt enthusiast'. I think Thorpe has a bigger challenge with the graffiti and vandalism than most other UK parks. Thorpe is my favourite park, and I'm in no way saying anything is crap as you implied. I'm just stating how the 2009 coaster wont be amazingly themed. This isn't a topic about Thorpe's themeing, it's about the 2009 coaster.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""Matt_""]

Alot more could have been done, for example the car that it sitting near Atlantis Dome could be put in the area.[/quote]

A car ? What else ? The car is not there as the ride does not really revolve a round a cop chase, I beleive that was the reason it was not placed there as they felt it did not fit in with the rest of the theme as it did not explain itself. It just looked like a random cop car with no purpose.
The geysers very rarely are turned on/work. The mist in the tunnel is sometimes not turned on, as you say nothing is broke, the effects just need fixing and the ponds and stuff need clearing up. It'll never come back but the amazing chippings like lava used to be a very cool effect.

Effects being turned off is mainly fault of the operator, there are also other factors such as weather, wind etc. As for the ponds well there basically mud ponds and they are basically meant to look overgrown, kinda like a swamp. They geysers in the pond do go off, but just not as much as they used to, you either have to stand there for a while or be lucky to see them when you walk past. But also whether there on is another thing down to either the operators or maintenance. The chippings, they blew away and I don't think there is much point placing them all back together if there going to be mixed up by wind and bad weather and by workers who walk on that spot to go to the lift hill. Although they could always mould them together, but that may look a bit out of place.

I'm not complaining about the amount of algae that forms in the pond, I'm just stating that Colossus's themeing could be much better.

I was not directing that at you, I kinda was talking about other people I have seen complain on other Coaster sites. Yes it could be better, but it could be worse, its a good standard of theming. Everything can be better, but everything can be a lot worse also, the a lot worse part is something people don't consider (Not aimed at you but other people).

I'm not a 'spoilt enthusiast' as you say, infact I've never even been to a Theme Park abroad except one in Italy and Disneyland Paris. So I dont think anyone who complains about Thorpe being averagley themed should be labled a 'spoilt enthusiast'. I think Thorpe has a bigger challenge with the graffiti and vandalism than most other UK parks. Thorpe is my favourite park, and I'm in no way saying anything is crap as you implied. I'm just station how the 2009 coaster wont be amazingly themed. This isn't a topic about Thorpe's themeing, it's about the 2009 coaster.

As said above that was not aimed at you but other people, I kinda drifted off the point after the first paragraph. :P The spoilt part comes in from other people on other sites, they feel so hard done by because they think Thorpe and it's theming suck, they never seemed to be pleased, that screams spoilt to me.

I think we all know it won't be amazingly themed, but there have been topics I have read on other sites where people have said "Oh it's Thorpe the ride and theming will suck". That sort of stuff annoys me, because the there theming does not suck, its far from bad, and there rides are ok at the lowest, sure there not like TTD but there not a waste of space and time.

People (Not aimed at you Matt :P )hold silly things against Thorpe, I feel they hate Thorpe for the sake of it. Thats what annoys me, they will hold one stupid thing against the park so they can hate it. I know someone hates Thorpe just because they built Stealth, they hold Stealth account for there reason for hating Thorpe which I find really pathetic.
Last edited by Dr Pop Rocket on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smeg_head

People are listing some of the faults with Thorpe's themeing but seem to forget how bad Alton are at maintaining theirs.

Thorpe's themeing is great. Much better that Alton's (Hex & Nemesis aside) I'd say.

So what if a few lightbulbs are out here an there? Think how often lightbulbs are missing in Hex. How often the Oblivion mist is off and the amount of times Howard The Duck is broken on the Flume. How long the blood waterfalls took to get fixed, Rita's launch smoke never on. Rapid's waterfalls often off and Ripsaw's themeing missing all together. I could go on...

I think it says less about the parks and more about the management.

Anyway back to the original point of this thread. When I went on Logger's Leap in October there were a number of surveyors in the area with their yellow camera type things so yes, something is up in Canada Creek.
Ram737

The theming for most of Thorpes attractions are normal really, nothing that really stands out as incredible (apart from Tidal Wave)

Inferno basically is half a volcano, from the front you think 'wow' but then round the back its just a metal shed.

Colossus is ok but nothing incredible, but thats fair enough, just wished they had some other theming around to make it feel more like a lost city.

Stealth i just feel could have been alot more, yes they have the station area but what abou the que line, absolutely nothing. so boring in the que, its just a little pond with a plant growing, and the rest is just wooden fences once again and grass.

The reason i reckon is that they spend huge amounts on all these intense rides, and they have barely anything left of the budget to spend on the theme.

I think if you look at Tidal Wave then it proves Thorpe have the ability to theme rides well, the ride mustn't of cost a huge amount so they thought, lets make this something special.
Last edited by Ram737 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

me , ive never visited thorpe park. So ic an't exactly judge.
But what i can say is , from the pictures i have seen. Rides have zilch themeing/ a bit , you can't tell if it is in a themed area or not. With exeptions of stealth.
AstroDan

Thorpe Park's theming is usually simple, but effective.

Whilst Inferno is 'half a volcano' from the right angles it looks stunning.

Alton Towers could take a lot from Thorpe's theming of their most recent coasters.

From a theming perspective we have Rita, Spinball and Air. They have Stealth, Colossus and Inferno. I think Thorpe have better looking (as in themed) rides there thank you!

Everyone knows that I am far one to lick Thorpe Park's rear end, but you have to hand it to them - they know how to make their rides look decent.

However compare both Thorpe and Alton's rides to the likes of Europa Park, Phantasialand, PortAventura and well, they don't quite cut it.

:D
Danzaw*nk

I saw on TPJ a thread which was showing markings on the trees in the Canada Creek area. *looks for it* Ahhh I can't find it :(.

But yeah, there were yellow markings on some of the trees in that area if it means something :P.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Con

[quote=""Sir Con Of New Land""]See I'm not a liar[/quote]

That ok Dan? there's pictures and all!

LONG POSTS GIVE ME HEADACHES
Danzaw*nk

Ah that's the one. I think there was a link for it on TPJ which obviously led to SP.

What dyu mean about being a liar anyway?

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
TenZero

He thought he'd remembered that the tree's were tagged ages ago, when in actual fact it was Adz.

Anyway, so back to the point I think its between a flyer, vertical and a mega. What would you like to see?
AstroDan

[quote=""Matt_""]He thought he'd remembered that the tree's were tagged ages ago, when in actual fact it was Adz.

Anyway, so back to the point I think its between a flyer, vertical and a mega. What would you like to see?[/quote]

I thought their height ceiling was such that a vertical drop or mega coaster would be pretty stupid? They can't dig like Alton can. Oblivion has a 180' drop and a Mega Coaster requires 150' + really (Silver Star is 240' to put this into context).
Ash

I personally think flyer with lots of speed.

However to be honest i want to see something unusual at Thorpe for once. But a flyer mostly with plenty of inversions, spots over the lake and tunnels. But like i said its got too be fast with quick inversions :D
AstroDan

I would love to see a well themed and produced family rollercoaster at Thorpe. They have 3 'thrill' coasters now, i think getting a big budget family coaster would be a great move.

Not everyone likes hardcore thrill - and whilst it's all very well and good having X:/ and Flying Fish they have never been world class, have they.

However I cannot see Thorpe opting for that, so I reckon either a B&M Flying coaster or perhaps another Intamin of sorts?
Thomas

I would like to see maybe a Runaway Mine Train at Thorpe, its for families & look pretty impressive with good theeing, however they seem to go for the thrills, maybe a floorless they look pretty awesome & i don't think there's one in the UK so far

Thomas
Con

But what's the difference bettween floorless and inverted becuase Thorpe already have Ninferno.

LONG POSTS GIVE ME HEADACHES
Ash

A ride of size and style like Big Thunder Mountain can thrill and be for the family. However it doesnt seem like Thorpes style. I would imagine flying to be honest but without the lowering floor platern like air and just concrete floor like Tatsu
Ram737

I'd prefere to see a Floorless over a flyer, only reason because Alton have Air.

I would like to see a decent stand-up installed though, i went on the one at Drayton Manor and thought it was fun but really short.
Lauren

Most probably will end up to be a woodie , or even , a kiddie coaster..