Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Danny

It was removed for the 2013 season as the front windscreen had been smashed due to vandalism. However it has been repaired and back in its normal spot :)
Justin

I'm not sure it was removed for the full 2013 season?

During my visits last year it had a barrel placed in the middle of the windscreen and the other time it was boarded up. I can't remember which way was what though.
Danny

I wouldn't want to say your information isn't true, and I cannot remember either. All I know is thorpe said it had been taken Off site for the 2013 season due to vandalism, and has been redone and placed back for this year.
Justin

Doubting myself now. Will have to look through my photos sometime. :D
awsomelycoolboy

I went July time to Thorpe and I can't say I remember the police car there. I think there was just barrels in its place.
Justin

They blocked alot of the area off last year with barrels. I still think the car was there.
Luce

The police car is now roped off near the on-ride photo buying kiosk and is quite clever because it's been cordoned off using "crime scene do not cross" tape :)
Dom

After going on this on Saturday and Sunday, i have finally realised how rough and jolty this ride actually is. I still love the ride to bits, especially the indoor section, but something needs to be done on the head banging bits. Maybe so cushioned restraints might be a good move.
Dan

I agree with Dom, having ridden SAW for the first time at the weekend I have to say that it is extremely rough, particularly after the MCBR.

The indoor section is fine, as is the first part of the outdoor section (barring the jolt on the drop) but the second half of the outdoor section is painful! As you go up the curve into the brake-run it feels as though all 4 wheels may as well be off a shopping trolley, not good.
sw7nutter

Saw is now like the smiler in that there is 1 or 2 trains that are really rough. They can fix it by tightening the wheel holders but that means the trains are out of operation for weeks so they can only do it over the winter. They only managed to do around 6 cars this winter so 2 are still jolty. Also saw is far less jolty in the morning and when its cold.
stealthsmiler

Surely they could manage with having one train out of operation at a time. And put up a sign explaining to guests that they should expect queues on the ride to be slightly longer than usual
sw7nutter

Saws throughput is low as it is and with angry birds land and summer fastly approaching to put a train out of action for weeks is a decision management didn't want to do. Another point is that they would need another set of engineers as one crew would be constantly working on saw leaving less people to do scheduled maintenance and break downs. After all its bad enough having one crew on slammer all the time.
Dan

As we found out during the Behind the Scenes tour of SAW last weekend, the minimum number of cars required to run the ride is 4, whereas the maximum is 8.

From what I gathered, they have 9 cars on site, so that means they always have at least one car in the workshop (when we were there there was 8 cars on the circuit and one in the workshop having it's wheels changed from the winter to summer compound) so I don't think removing a car from the system to have work done would affect the throughput all that much if it was done in the same timeslot as it's scheduled maintenance.
awsomelycoolboy

I'm not sure what the fuss about saw being rough is. My mum complained that it hurt her head. I never have any problems, Infact the only ride I had a problem with was Nemesis Inferno. Not quite sure, it's usually quite smooth (never going to be as smooth as Nemmy tho :P )
NemesisRider

I don't see the problem either.
sw7nutter

Saw is very rough on a hot day in the afternoon on some cars. It can get to the point where it really hurts but most of the time its fine. The cars often have their wheel brackets tightened so they cant jump. However clearly one was tightened too much as saw stalled the other day.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With today's announcement that 'Saw 8' is going ahead, I wonder if Thorpe will be more keen to hang on to the IP for a good few more years yet.
theparklifekid

lewis97 wrote:With today's announcement that 'Saw 8' is going ahead, I wonder if Thorpe will be more keen to hang on to the IP for a good few more years yet.
They most likely will, considering its a big franchise. If the film is a reboot, Thorpe may have to change the theming slightly.

On a side note, oh god ANOTHER Saw film?!! Hollywood has truly ran out of ideas...
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Ryan.B

I posted about saw 8 last year and was told it wasn't happening? They annouced it was the end of saw and no more would be made so I'm quite suprised with this, but it will mean saw will be wanted at Thorpe in the longer term!
Justin

lewis97 wrote:With today's announcement that 'Saw 8' is going ahead, I wonder if Thorpe will be more keen to hang on to the IP for a good few more years yet.
This is great news!
I'm sure Thorpe would keep the IP with serious consideration to ensure it was still a viable option (without Saw 8), but with this news, it is likely to make their overall decision even easier! The current theme works well, and if it isn't broke then don't fix it. Let's hope the film does well because on the other hand it could have a negative impact on the ride if it flops at the box office!