Oblivion Floorless

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
TheOutpatient

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Would the hole be big enough to make it a stand up drop coaster?
I got a feeling that they would have tried to make the tunnel as small as safely possible but what might be more possible is some kind of lying down/flying position shuttles (as someone mentioned in an ideas thread). Oblivions a great ride though, I'm not sure they need to mess with it....Or maybe they could have just one (f)lying shuttle for special occasions.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
JamieH93

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Would the hole be big enough to make it a stand up drop coaster?
Imagine if towers built something like griffon but with stand up or flying train.
I can see it now, alton towers presents the worlds first flying/stand up drop coaster.
They could even come up with more MOJ theming.
Oh well not like it would happen no point in two drop coasters.
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
A

Flying - no, this it blivvy, we have air for that. Stand up, possibly, but this once again raises the question of clearance. I think the only realistic alteration that could be made would be floorless.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Instant Mix

I think lap bars would be the way to go. That would genuinely make me crap myself. Only issue I could see with that is that the holding brake segment could be quite painful, as you'll be leaning forward.
iriderides101

Hmm... This would be a expensive conversion! A lot of remodelling of the station & I doubt it would really add much marketing value. This ride is still pretty intimidating!
Themeparksandy1981

The cheapest thing they could do is turn the cars round and go backwards.
iriderides101

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: The cheapest thing they could do is turn the cars round and go backwards.
Interesting...perhaps a few cars reversed and theme is on the lines of 'being dragged into oblivion'
Thorpe Towers 13

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: The cheapest thing they could do is turn the cars round and go backwards.
Been thinking this for years mate, would be mental :D guessing a few other people have been as well :)
hands in the air and scream!
Rollermad

This would mean new cars as the chain clip would have to be reversed. Also this would mess up the 8 gate station :(
Thorpe Towers 13

TheOutpatient wrote: Well first, thanks for speaking to me in a professional kind of way! I very much appreciate that round here.

Looking at this picture there is pretty hopeful amount of clearance between floor and track:Image
but there is also some other gubbins on the bottom of the car; breaking apparatus and the wheels themselves - if you could somehow cover these you might be good to go.

Station would need a bit of an overhall aswell though.
anybody noticed the headless passenger in the back row on the side closest to the photo? haha
Lucieloo

Ha ha! Looks like a wraith~!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Thorpe Towers 13

Thats been mentioned in another forum and in my dreams for years :) would be insane but I think there would have to be alot of finance put into the required changes.
JoshRicho-atiR

Thorpe Towers 13 wrote:
Alex.D wrote: No, oblivion is floorless for shorter people. Like me, 5ft 6" when I rode it last, felt floorless. Would be cool for tall people though. Id rather the money spent on repairing Nemesis' theming
I Agree! Love Oblivion but I do think that nemesis could do with a revamp! Oblivion had a re-paint with Smiler opening, but nothing for Nemesis when Sub Terra opened :(
Because sub terra has no track and oblivion would look worn down next to the smiler brand new shines black track.
Jared

I think they should make Oblivion go backwards like the Swarm.
JoshRicho-atiR

AltonOctopuss wrote: Nevermind oblivion flawless what about backwards? :twisted:
Brilliant idea they could just do the back row like Thorpe park did with the swarm :)
JoshRicho-atiR

Imagine it as a stand up  :O
Themeparksandy1981

JoshRicho-atiR wrote: Imagine it as a stand up  :O
I already said that on page 2

Would the hole be big enough to make it a stand up drop coaster?
JoshRicho-atiR

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
JoshRicho-atiR wrote: Imagine it as a stand up  :O
I already said that on page 2

Would the hole be big enough to make it a stand up drop coaster?

Good point but couldn't they just make the cars small like shockwave at DMP but would the b and m stand up cars be the right size?
PhoenixStudios

Was looking through pages..
iriderides101 wrote:
Interesting...perhaps a few cars reversed and theme is on the lines of 'being dragged into oblivion'
The whole idea of Oblivion and it's main slogan was 'Don't Look Down.' Backward trains would kind of defeat that idea. If there were floorless trains (as long as it didn't come at a large expense to something else), I'd be all for it though. The selling point would be the UK's first Underground Floorless Coaster; there're opportunities with that  ;)

The hydraulic sound of the floor dropping away in the station with the gate opening would just be immense!
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
tallicay2k

Can we end this topic and just leave beautiful blivvy as she is.....she doesn't need tweaking.
Ta very muchly :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY