Scariest Ride?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
LouManc

I am very scared of rides and want to over come my fear, I am going Alton Towers in 2 weeks, I just wondered what rides your found the scariest and least scariest?

Thanks

Louise x
clayj

Squirrel nutty backwards !!

Seriously, I'd face your fears head on and go for the king or queen of the park and ride either the nemesis or the smiler lol although the question for nemesis will be shorter so may be enter as the tension of the smiler's que may add to your fear
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
broco101

Air and th13teen are probably the least scary, if you are scared of going upside down then air should help with that somewhat as its just like laying on your back!
Last edited by broco101 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/8378-fletcherniscfc/"]Image[/url]
Phild94

If it's a fear of rollercoasters then Nemesis/The Smiler are easily the top 2 for thrills.... And if you re after a more gentle coaster something like Air, Thirteen or the runaway mine train are all good starter coasters

BUT

If you're after frights then the scariest is Nemesis Sub Terra but it is great for first time riders :)

Hope this helps :) and have a good day

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
tallicay2k

Oblivion still tops for scariest...especially for newbies.

Air the least scariest as its a chillaxing ride.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Kirsty25

Just go and jump on them. Thats what my friend did at Thorpe Park and this time we couldn't get him off the rides!!
altontowerskid

Kirsty25 wrote: Just go and jump on them. Thats what my friend did at Thorpe Park and this time we couldn't get him off the rides!!
I agree! :) Once you've had a go, you won't want to stop! :D

Top for Thrill - Oblivion
Top for Fright - Sub Terra
Top for Fun - Air & Th13teen
Alex.D

First go on Blivvy is scariest rollercoaster. Sub terra for jumpy frights. Hex if you are scared of the supernatural.Like me.  :nervious:
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
LouManc

Thanks all, I am going 2 weeks on Friday looking forward to it  :lol:
A

Right, here's my list of the scariest roller coasters from least scary to most scary:

Runaway Mine Train-the most tame coaster on the park but if you've never been on a coaster then start with this one

Air-this is probably the best 'proper' coaster to start out on, there is absolutely nothing scary about air just pure flying pleasure

Th13teen-probably the next step up from air, a little bit more adrenaline (especially indoor) but still not too scary

Sonic Spinball-despite being listed as a family coaster, I would say there's more adrenaline than th13teen and air due to the spinning of the cars and the relatively steep drops

Rita- your next step up from spinball, the launch is pretty thrilling and it packs a bit of a punch on those bends

Oblivion-pretty near the top because it looks very intimidating before you get on, but it's actually not as scary as you think once you get on it

The smiler-not actually ridden yet :( but from what I hear it looks very intimidating but not quite as intense as nemmy

Nemesis-very intense but also very very fun if you manage to get over your fear. I recommend trying nemesis if you can - you'll have a LOT of fun

Hope you try some of these out and enjoy them, you'll have a LOT of fun :) Just one more tip - don't close your eyes, not knowing what happens is probably the the worst case scenario on a rollercoaster  :)
Last edited by A on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
silenthillXD

What i'd suggest is ride Air first, it's not scary at all, and whilst it may look intimidating when you first approach it, once you are on you will be fine, infact I know many people who avoid it because it lacks thrills. Then i'd say move onto Nemesis, yes it is a thrilling ride, but it is hardly scary, the majority of the thrills come from the positive G's which basically make you feel heavy, there aren't any significant negative g's on either ride (which is the floaty stomach feeling I know some people find scary) Then if you are up for spinning rides try ripsaw it's pretty good. But I would avoid sub terra, if you aren't into scare maze style attractions give that a miss. Obviously then get the skyride over to dark forest and ride Thirteen, which is a relatively calm ride, but does offer quite alot of the floaty stomach feeling at numerous points in the ride, so if you want to avoid that it may be worth skipping. Also I don't know if you know of the secret element, but some people may find that rather scary. Then i'd personally avoid rita for now if you are scared of coasters as launches can be rather scary to some people, just immagine sitting still then all of a sudden having your back pushed at great force. I'd then go to X-Sector and do the smiler, it's great fun and isn't particularly intense in either positive or negative g-s but offers a nice variety of inversions (which are nothing to be scared of) If you are feeling brave then i'd suggest rita, then if you are feeling very brave ride oblivion, which isn't as bad as it looks, or as bad as people say it is, but does pack a punch when you ride it.

All i'll say is good luck, it wasn't so long ago I was in your shoes, and this order is pretty much what I did (obviously without the smiler) and just enjoy, once you have done nemesis there is no going back, you'll be a adrenaline junkie for life!
TheOutpatient

For me:
Oblivion has the all out scariest 1 time moment when you hang over the edge and hope all the safety checks have been done properly and that the concrete in the tunnel is holding out ok LOL.
Sub Terra, similarly, is short but incredibly tense whereas other rides are more drawn out.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Thorpe Towers 13

At the end of the day Louise a phrase I go with re rides is "its bad for business if you dont walk off at the end". These new rides are very safe so there is no need to be concerned in terms of safety. They are tested every day and if anything is wrong they wont open to the public.

Anyway, thats not answering your question. Personally, I love rides and only find a handful scary so will grade these on the most intense.

1) Oblivion - It is very intense, but over in seconds! Good fun though :)
2) Nemesis - Amazing ride
3) Smiler - Laughing all the way round...good fun :)
4) Rita - just Stealth from Thorpe Park except flattened out (No big up and down)
5) Thirteen - Family coaster with a twist (SPOILERS) a drop in the dark section
6) Air - This is just so smooth. Honestly one of the tamest rides there never the less very good

Well hope that helps and you have a good day :)
hands in the air and scream!
LouManc

Thanks all,

Will let you know how I get on, go 1 week on Friday yikes......
nodestinyx

It depends on why you are scared of rides, when i went two years ago with my husband he said he can't do rides and roller coasters and that he was scared. He said he didn't like rides and he wouldn't go on them ... I then spent the 8 weeks prior to going researching every ride, watching POV videos and working out what rides did what.

When we got to park I told him what each roller coaster did in a simple form ... The Runaway Mine train is just like a train, it just goes round the track, its not too fast and doesn't have a big hill ... and low and behold it worked ... he went on (looked very frightened but he did it, and at 44 years old that was his first ever rollercoaster  :D) after that i managed to talk him into going on Nemesis and he really liked that ( I did tell him that the loops he could see in the queue line were from a different coaster) .. after we came off he said he would never trust me again .. i took him round to the queue board where it says "most intense" .. and then he asked to go on Air ... after Air we went on the flume and rapids and the piratey thing where you shoot cannons 13 and then Hex he refused to ride oblivion and wouldn't go on anything else for the rest of the day  :(
TheBoyWithOneEye

I would suggest, if you are scared going upside down, go on enterprise (if it opens ;)) Its what i did at Thorpe park on zodiac and that what got me into roller coasters. You dont even notice you are going upside down! My first major and upside down coaster was nemesis inferno which was a great starter.
Are you going with anyone who loves roller coaster? If so then they will probably drag you onto them with out hesitating and then you cant really turn back.... That what i did to my friends at Thorpe :) But seriously, don't be scared of them, they are just roller coasters and are perfectly safe. There's more chance of you getting injured walking down your road then at a theme park. Once you go one one you will be like.... "Oh i wish i just went on them before!" and then you wont be afraid to go on them anymore :). Roller coasters are what makes the world go round and I always just loose my self just staring at them and then the rest of my group walks off....... (bit like this post) :D
Dog

The Smiler actually isn’t very scary. All it does is go upside down which isn’t that bad. Galactica or Th13teen are great to start.
astead02

Oblivion, without a shadow of a doubt.

That ride may be simple, and it may not do much, but oh boy, it can be a really scary experience for the first time and even after a few rerides, the buildup to that drop is still really scary.