Lewis97's Creations

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just a little something I've been working on, over the past few weeks:

Lewis' The Smiler - NL Recreation

I'm well aware it's not as accurate as it could be, but I made it to give an idea of the 14 inversion layout. The landscaping is not finished (and when it is, it will just be basic - no theming as I'm not that good), and I'm using the pre-made supports which aren't finished either.

Any improvements (track focused) will be appreciated, but I'm by no means a pro with NL, so I've done the best job I can at the moment.

So, when I add to it, I'll update the album and let you know back in this topic!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Okay, so I've made a few changes to the final two inversions, added a few more supports, and started to work on the basic landscape shape.

Click below to see the whole album

Lewis' The Smiler - NL Recreation UPDATE 2

I could use some advice on how to landscape the area more accurately, and how I go about creating a decent station building!
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here is a POV of the ride so far:

The Smiler - No Limits Recreation
JayTricky

Well done.

I'd say the track is 90% right. Just a few mistakes but nothing I would change. It's good. NL is not easy.

The 13th inversion looks brutal on there. I actually hope it's like that in real life.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

JayTricky wrote: Well done.

I'd say the track is 90% right. Just a few mistakes but nothing I would change. It's good. NL is not easy.

The 13th inversion looks brutal on there. I actually hope it's like that in real life.
Thank you, the last two inversions are something I really struggled with, and I may still change them a bit, so they're less, as you say, brutal.

As I said the layout isn't perfect, and of course it's hard to create the bits which don't have any plans for them ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I've added another picture update here

I've been tinkering with the layout, and edited the Staffordshire Knot, last two inversions and 'camel back to inline', after seeing some of the latest consturction photos. There's still some parts I want to change, but I wanted to provide you with the latest progress.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Could be a while before my next uodate, as I have to find the motivation to tackle it. I've been looking at the scale and length of the ride, and my recreation is too big, so I'm in the process of squashing it. However, that's messing up all the G's (I like to feel that it would be safe to ride), as well as trying to change some of the inversions according to how they're actually being built.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Right, an update will hopefully be coming this weekend, for anyone who's interested ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As promised here's my NL update

As you will see I have created the station building, but it is far from complete as it needs some adjustments - structural and aesthetic.

I have tried to squash the layout a bit, as well as decrease its height. I am also considering moving the 'top-end' of the site (where the toilet block will be) closer to the main area of track. Although the last two inversions may look violent, the Gs are actually quite minimal.

Currently the trains don't duel that well, but that will be one of the last things I do, once the track is exactly where I want it.

Finally, I need to look at the supports, and may attempt some custom supports, so the recreation is more realistic.

Any other tips or advice is welcome!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

On my Youtube POV of the ride, I've been asked whether I will put the layout up for download, so I'm wondering if people would actually be interested in being able to download it, to see if it's worth doing...
Altitude

I'd be interested!
Ripsaw Raver

same here, looks great btw
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Jack

I more than want this on mine
ilyAlton

Download would be awesome;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Right that's settled then, I will make a download available to all once I feel I have completed the recreation as best as I can.

However, I am considering running a sort of competition (if you like) for someone to get the download first, and be a tester. Then they can give me feedback, and suggest any improvements. Details and a launch will follow soon, once I know that I can make a download available for sure.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

[align=center]:moj It's competition time! :moj

I'm looking for someone to get the first, and exclusive, download of my The Smiler NL Recreation, as I now feel it's too a reasonable standard. In fact, it will be like they're the first rider, and I would then like them to give me feedback, outlining any improvements that could be made.

So, to enter you simply need to PM me, and write 'Recreation First Rider Competition' in the subject line. Then I will randomly select a winner on Sunday night. However, that date could change depending on the level of response I receive.

Obviously you will need No Limits to be able to load the track, and also the No Limits Track Packager as I have packaged it to make the file smaller.

So please PM before Sunday (21st April) for a chance to be my tester![/align]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Could anybody give me any advice regarding the following: I'm using Google SketchUp to create the station building, and I am trying to colour and texture it to vaguely resemble what the station actually looks like. However, on some areas if I colour one side it will also colour the other side as well, and I can't find a way to prevent this from happening :/ Any help would be much appreciated :)

Also, if you can, please enter my competition which is detailed above! :moj
Altitude

It probably means that the two sections haven't been separated properly.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The competition winner will be randomly selected this evening, using a random name selector (if that makes any difference). I will announce the winner in this topic, and also contact them by PM, as well as contacting anyone else who entered...

There's still time to enter, so see the top of this page for details!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Before announcing the winner of the first rider competition, I've uploaded some photos of how the recreation is looking HERE. I took quite a few screenshots, some from the same angle, but I hope it gives you a good idea as to how everything's looking!

I haven't changed much, apart from some stuff to do with the station (but it still needs more work) and the two inverted/twisted drops.

Here's some photos as a taster...

Last edited by lewis97 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.