Th13teen - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheDuke

Yeah I'd agree with the first statement thats its very well paced which is probably why it feels so good to ride, I feel thirteen is really overlooked outside of AT when I think anyway it a really top notch experience of its sound track queue line theming(especially on a rainy day or dark day) and of course the smooth yet exciting layout of the coaster and the drop which goes without saying. The near miss trees and the overgrown elements of the ride definitely enhances the layout.

Edit: I also cant believe there's so little discussion on this thread for a major ride
wakey1512

Dan wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
With that in mind wouldn’t you find the whole experience better if the drop wasn’t trimmed? Heck they could have done away with the second lift hill if they took the trims out. Let’s build a coaster with a fast, pacey layout and then make it slower because it’ll wear the wheels out too quickly.
The reason for the trims is that the train was reaching the second lift hill too quickly (before the crypt sequence had fully reset) and causing the ride to shut down. The second lift hill is a necessity for that reason as it acts as a safety mechanism in the event of a problem with the indoor section.
I understand that but could the ride have not been designed with a small braking device before the second lift hill such as on a lot of B&M rides that have a small course before the main lift hill? I know this is a moot point now as we are 8/9 years past the planning stages but I feel that it numbed the ride significantly and could have perhaps been done differently
Luce

I wasn't sure about Thirteen when it first opened and over the years it's grown on me and I really like it now.

I also agree that it's always fun to ride with people who haven't been on it before and think that the drop section is the end of the ride! :)
TheBeornen

Yeah I actually kinda like how it slows you down and it fills you with more dread as you slowly head into the excavation site before the drop.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Wagstaff04

And if you have ridden it before, then you’ll have thoughts of “here it comes”
Wolverine0492

I went on it the first year it was running, I came off it like it was meh and was that it? But last time I went on the ride a few years ago I actually enjoyed it more.
Hello Tom

I know it’s an enthusiast forum but even so I’m surprised by the praise it’s getting on here.
The pre-tunnel section is one of the most boring layouts I’ve ever been on. Mine train is far more fun, but this should be as a ‘super headliner’.

The aesthetic of the drop building is TERRIBLE - perhaps they changed it but it’s always looked rammed full of scaffolding and bleak black material. It looks unfinished. Like they just gave up and though - yup, that’ll do. The tunnnel section and drop are both good but there’s little in the way of re-ridablity once you’ve experienced it.

Th13rteen is evidently a ride designed backwards from a gimmick. They took they gimmick and said ‘ooo what could we add on to it’. The answer - not much. Great shame. I have similar feelings on Rita. What a phenomenally boring layout!!! Bulldoze them both tbh. Neither in the same league as Nemmy, Smiler or Oblivion. Air clearly sits in the middle rank. Have high hopes for Wicker Man :D
ROYJESS

I love Thirteen, it may not be the best coaster in the park, but I love the theming and the crypt drop. Even though the ride is around 8 years old, you still get people riding it the are completely unaware what happens in the crypt.  
Robert.W

I completely get your point about Rita. Whilst it's not the worst thing I've ever ridden, in comparison to most of Towers other coasters, it's just a bit crap.

I also think your quite right about TH13TEEN. It's evident that they focused way too much on the gimmick, and way too little time thinking about the overall ride experience, to the extent that they did not even have a clue in the world how to market the thing. Had some of the original plans actually happened, the outdoor section would have been considerabley better than what we ended up with, but sadly, as is standard with Merlin rides, the budget just did not allow for it.

I think what we've got to do is just accept that it's a family ride, given a big budget and has a pretty elaborate finale. Go on the ride with these expectations and honestly, you'll enjoy it. When I first rode it, I enjoyed it a lot. It's a fun coaster, and whilst I kinda see what your saying about re-ride-ability, and I agree, it's not something I'd do over and over again consecutively, but certainly is a fun ride to do multiple times during a day out at the park.

Mikw

I went on Thirteen for the first time a few weeks ago, It was one of the first coasters I went back for during a return visit. Even though I knew what was coming I enjoyed it that much!
Justin

I think Th13teen has gained a lot of love over recent years. It is a decent little coaster which is enjoyable to ride. For me, the first drop is the best part! :)
TheBeornen

The first drop is absolute quality haha, every time I go I forget just how good it is.

Be Chosen...
AltonOperator

I hadn't ridden in a few years and wow that drop is better than it looks. Apart from Oblivion, drops aren't really a thing at Alton, so it's nice! 
Thanks Jack
TheBeornen

I don't know if it is true or not but I've heard it is actually the tallest point in the park, obviously it's not the biggest drop but its all above ground which makes it so tall.

Be Chosen...
AltonOperator

I’m not sure but I think Rita may actually be taller :-k
Thanks Jack
jackf1tz

Actually, Galactica is the tallest ride in the park.
ROYJESS

I like the horizontal drop inside the crypt, especially with arms raised in the air, you leave the seat (providing your lap bar is not down too tight)
AltonOperator

RCDB:
Rita: 21m
Galactica: 20m
Th13teen: 20m
Nemesis: 13m
Oblivion: 19.8m
Thanks Jack
TheBeornen

Ah ok, close haha, I forgot they had to change the colour at the peak of Rita so it would fit in with the trees.

Be Chosen...
Dom

Th13teen really is one of those rides that gets better the older it gets. I genuinely have a soft spot for this coaster. It may not be the best layout or the most intense or the highest or fastest, but it just brings a smile to the riders faces. Its just a fun coaster. The theming is ok. Again, its got better as the tree's grew back. I just think this coaster does not deserve as much hate as some people give it.