The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Barty

Perhaps they should but some boost on the cars like in the game Haha! At least they are getting good practice at sorting out stalls :) I think they'll have it back up and running in the next couple of days
Danny

As posted on TTFacebook, the current queue line for Guest Services:

daveclarkedaveclarke

Well after holding off my trip for two days till this Thursday i do hope that they get this beast going back round again. Not been this year yet so hopefully Alton sort out all there 'teething problems' that there having with all the rides today.
mike_roller

I'd love to see the reaction of the staff as the train goes around and doesn't quite make the incline. I imagine there's quite a few expletives fired off.
mike_roller

Danny wrote: As posted on TTFacebook, the current queue line for Guest Services:

I hear you can get fast tracks for this queue…
Heisenberg96

Chaz wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: What you don't seem to understand is that the train behaves exactly the same whether it's full of obese people or completely empty. It's basic physics. Gravity affects an empty or full train in the exact same way.
Isn't that only when it reaches velocity? Which certainly wont happen. So you are saying that a train weighing 1 tonne  will reach the breaks at the same time a train weighing 1.5 tonnes will? This cannot be correct? Look at racing coasters, that also depends on weight sometimes.

I'm confused.
I agree.
Surely if the car is full of obese people it will have a higher mass and so require a much higher resultant force? Seeing as how resultant force = mass multiplied by acceleration?
Gravity has nothing to do with the motion of an object unless the resultant force is in that direction.
gallopbob

Chaz wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: What you don't seem to understand is that the train behaves exactly the same whether it's full of obese people or completely empty. It's basic physics. Gravity affects an empty or full train in the exact same way.
Isn't that only when it reaches velocity? Which certainly wont happen. So you are saying that a train weighing 1 tonne  will reach the breaks at the same time a train weighing 1.5 tonnes will? This cannot be correct? Look at racing coasters, that also depends on weight sometimes.

I'm confused.
GigaSurimi would be right if there were no other interacting forces.  Unfortunately linear momentum does come into play due to frictional forces to overcome.  Linea momentum is calculated as mass x velocity = the potential energy conserved (the momentum available).  This energy dictates whether the train will make it through any particular inversion.  You can test it yourself by playing pool with standard and ping pong balls, and see what difference it makes.
JW599

It's 180mins now:

(from Twitter @NickT04)
Last edited by JW599 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallicay2k

JW599 wrote: It's 180mins now:

mike_roller wrote:
Danny wrote: As posted on TTFacebook, the current queue line for Guest Services:

I hear you can get fast tracks for this queue…
It's good to see some humour, you guys are awesome  :lol:  :D
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
mudbath

Although the Smiler is closed due to teething problems your free to enjoy our other 50....err 49......48.....47.... Your free to enjoy Blade and the fried chicken shack...
RobStandley

mudbath wrote: Although the Smiler is closed due to teething problems your free to enjoy our other 50....err 49......48.....47.... Your free to enjoy Blade and the fried chicken shack...
Genius hahaha
Rob
Admin
Admin

Sorry no chicken its closed as its in x-sector.
Dan

It makes me laugh that with the weather being as good as it is people would rather stand in a queue to complain rather than queue to go on a ride.

At the end of the day, AT are under no obligation to revalidate tickets or give out free fasttracks just because X-Sector is closed, it's not like they knew the train was going to stall is it? They're just doing it to try and maintain some respectability from what has so far been one of the worst seasons in recent memory
mudbath

Right Smiler i dont care about (Honest) however no chicken!! im queing for guest serviceS, wheres the single rider enterance?
Katherine

Well I guess that's only 46 attractions then :L
We can still enjoy The--- Squirrel Nutty Ride.
dangerousdave1983

nicksy111 wrote: It makes me laugh that with the weather being as good as it is people would rather stand in a queue to complain rather than queue to go on a ride.

At the end of the day, AT are under no obligation to revalidate tickets or give out free fasttracks just because X-Sector is closed, it's not like they knew the train was going to stall is it? They're just doing it to try and maintain some respectability from what has so far been one of the worst seasons in recent memory
However, some people paid alot of money or travelled alot of distance only to be advised that the majority of the thrill rides are closed, not exactly great value for money is it?

I understand it was not expected to happened, however i would still seek some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.
Dan

However, some people paid alot of money or travelled alot of distance only to be advised that the majority of the thrill rides are closed, not exactly great value for money is it?

I understand it was not expected to happened, however i would still seek some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.
I agree that it's not brilliant value for money, and I do sympathise with all those that have spent lots of money today and only found out 20 minutes before the ride was meant to open that a whole area of the park would be closed, as I'm visiting on Thursday and I know I'll be gutted if The Smiler isn't open.

I'm not disagreeing with the revalidation of tickets as it does show great customer service on Towers part, but my point is that people shouldn't expect them just because X-Sector is shut.
Thorpe Towers 13

So what is actually open now? Nemesis and Thi13teen?
hands in the air and scream!
RCandrew

2 of 6 thrill rides are closed, and to be honest unless its one of us running rollercoaster to rollercoaster, I doubt half the people in that queue would make it round all 6 anyway! I don't think you should get free tickets to come back just because 2 rides are closed, especially when one is just open and the other will probably be open later today.
I wouldn't waste my time In that queue I'd rather go on the rides I can rather than miss out on more!
Dan

According to RideTimes all rides are open with the exception of Oblivion and The Smiler