The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

I awaken this morning to find a brand new abomonation has been installed, courtesy of Leek Signs.

Before:

After:

JAMMYD777

^ At least there's only one major spelling mistake. :/ Also, they've spelled Marmalisation correct :D

I suppose the Marmaliser boards give some sense of story to members of the public that don't know the story, Not much, but it's something I guess.
SW7:
Hari

Was the smiler open today? I am technically talking about yesterday :)
NR
TheOutpatient

(^^^Marketing wise I think the signs are a great idea because it will tell people what is happening as they go past the Marmaliser, since it happens all quite fast. Its just a little bit of a compromise cause that is nice little bit of landscaping in that corner.)

So I found something awesome this morning (and a tad tangential) BUT a while back, while Smiler was being built, I said they might use this very robotic industrial sounding music but I couldn't find the song because it was actually a demo on the MC-505 Groovebox (a kind of toy/DJ/awesome instrument) Well I found it this morning!!: It starts at 3:52

To me this music sounds like robots. Robots in a factory or robots with human organs or something lol. They make these demos very interesting to listen to with lots of detail. If they could add it into the sountrack that would be awesome but as far as I'm aware you still have pay your way/royalties with the manufacturer. In any case, lengthening or adding to soundtracks is a really good idea
and it might be worth the themepark minded baring this music it in mind - for any kind of future attraction with a robotic/factory connotation.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Danny

Taken just now by Kirsty who is currently on site:

Jamie

The signs are nice additions, and I think that (in a way) it shows that they are proud of their new coaster.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Kirsty25

The signage was good, except for Inoculator gaining an "N" in the sign that isn't on the leg/screens o.O

Yes The Smiler was up and running all day today and was the busiest of the week I think, queues were rarely below 2 hours...
Danny

I'm sure it always had two n's?
Kirsty25

No it hasn't... That's what I initially thought...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The website also uses two Ns, so I'm not sure what's happened there...
fabiasimon

I was also on park yesterday and have to say these signs looked pretty impressive.
Im not sure the marmaliser does exactly what it says on the tin (signs)!!
However look good as you enter x sector.
Danny

The Smiler is currently closed with work occurring on the vertical lift hill [credit to TPW for the image]

Hari

Ok this is ridiculous... Alton need to stop closing the ride... I have already been twice to go on the smiler (as it says in my signature!) but to no avail. I am going on saturday so i really hope its open, if it is not... I shall cry... :(
Heh, this was my 100th post :D
NR
Benji

A pump truck has now arrived at the smiler site

[credit to towers street]

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Danny

What's a pump truck? Sorry I'm from essex ;)
Kirsty25

it's a truck for pumping water out of an area. The base of the vertical lift was flooding out as we were queuing and there was heavy rain as we were leaving the park
Hari

could that be drained overnight?
NR
Dan

Hari wrote: could that be drained overnight?
AT were saying on Twitter they expected it to reopen tomorrow.

I'm on park again tomorrow so will provide updates.
vesty21

Me and my friend were in single rider que for just over an hour then had a fast track to use by 1pm, when we got to entrance it was closed but was still letting fast tracks through, they closed off the que before the rain shower came, we were in x sector till about 2:30 and couldn't see anything happening
Jammydodger

I don't want to be a debby downer, but it seriously shows piss poor engineering, especially when Oblivion sits right next door to it, happy as a clam with its secluded tunnel and even higher flood risk.
Last edited by Jammydodger on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.