The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris-TT

Geez, this guest service queue is starting to get a bit ridiculous...

Thorpe Towers 13

Well thats not too bad I suppose...just a shame that Oblivion is shut (my favourite). Any news on progress re the smiler?
hands in the air and scream!
JW599

Chris-TT wrote: Geez, this guest service queue is starting to get a bit ridiculous...

That's for the Nutty squirrel. The 49 other attractions are closed.
RobStandley

Just spoke to some friends who have just had their Sun tickets re-validated! Seems to be turning into a disaster for Towers!
RobStandley

Here's the que to get out the park! Image
Danny

As much as we can poke fun at this situation, back on topic with The Smiler please :)
Thorpe Towers 13

Duel best still be open... :lol: would be nice if smiler, oblvion and any other hick up would stop but at end of day it happens
mike_roller

RCandrew wrote: I don't think you should get free tickets to come back just because 2 rides are closed, especially when one is just open
But isn't the point of new rides to encourage people to visit? If Alton don't think The Smiler is important enough to revalidate tickets then they should stop building new rides as obviously they are not actually required.
RCandrew

mike_roller wrote:
RCandrew wrote: I don't think you should get free tickets to come back just because 2 rides are closed, especially when one is just open
But isn't the point of new rides to encourage people to visit? If Alton don't think The Smiler is important enough to revalidate tickets then they should stop building new rides as obviously they are not actually required.
Yeah but if its a new ride no one expects it to work properly, no new ride ever does, it's not enough to get free tickets for another day I don't think.. 8)
gbm

That guest services queue is getting out of hand.

I've been tracking progress on The Smiler and chomping at the bit to ride for ruddy ages, got Sun tickets for next Monday and Thursday so if I don't get to go on it at all I'll be gutted!
Would be intrigued to know what they would do differently if this type of thing happened when there were riders on.

Interesting to hear guest services are re-validating Sun tickets, I was washed out on a trip last year only managing one ride on Nemmy and a go on N:ST (because of bad weather) but then didn't even try and get re-validated.
SamPowell

Just to bring this back on topic a little bit, nowhere on Towers website (Or the Smiler one for that matter) says its going to be closed tomorrow... Keep hopeful people,  :lol:
Captain Chimp

Looking at the AT Twitter feed, they're confident of it being open tomorrow.

Despite this, I'm tempted to knock my anticipated visit this week on the head, just in case.
Thorpe Towers 13

Lets hope so  :D at end of day the 90 min queues are nothing compared to the 3-4 hour bad boys
RobStandley

Captain Chimp wrote: Looking at the AT Twitter feed, they're confident of it being open tomorrow.

Despite this, I'm tempted to knock my anticipated visit this week on the head, just in case.
Got a link?
SmileyMan

Jammydodger wrote: Saw has stalled a few times this year already, its not something that needs a tremendous amount of time to fix.
a day at most. I suppose it depends on whether they decide to go back to gerst or give it one last chance. I'm really starting to feel for gerst though, this cant be doing any good for their reputation...
Saw has never stalled...
Thorpe Towers 13

Just wondering where was that on Twitter? Also being as its open till 6 today, does that mean it will be the same tomorrow if Smiler is not fixed?
Dan

Thorpe Towers 13 wrote: Just wondering where was that on Twitter? Also being as its open till 6 today, does that mean it will be the same tomorrow if Smiler is not fixed?
If you read through their tweets their responding to people saying they're working hard on having it open for tomorrow.

If it doesn't open tomorrow I'd expect more of the same as today: ride close extended and a mahoosive queue for guest services
Thorpe Towers 13

ok will take a look.

They are going to be working hard tbf. Its there new baby lol wanna get it up and running asap (along with all the others which are having down time)

Any news on Smiler, Oblivion or other closed rides from people in park?
Barty

Of the alton towers twitter:
jknelhams

Sat in Courtyard BBQ, smiler has valleyed and will not be opening today, nor will anything in x sector. Smiler staff taking a lot of flak from GP, feel quite sorry for them really. Enjoying the other 48 rides and attractions!