The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
gouldy

I was there yesterday and watched for an hour or so as they unbolted some of the cover on the chain return at the base of the first lift hill; followed by quite a lot of activity in the tunnel immediately before the first lift.  So there is evidently some kind of issue there, but couldn't quite work out what the issue actually was!
imcn

This isn't looking good for my trip on Sunday. Fingers crossed whatever the issues are will be sorted though on this and Oblivion!
tommyjlewis

On park today, the Smiler is closed hopefully opening this afternoon and Oblivion is closed all day
AdamFTM

It's not looking good for my weekend visit for tomorrow and Sunday, I'll be absolutely devastated if its not running like, I'm not even bothered I'm travelling down from the north east of England, I've just really set my heart and soul on riding the smiler!
Xbox Gamertag: SimmDog xD
JamHar

Hi all. Very long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm really hoping they can sort these problems out in the next couple of weeks as I'm going on the 2nd July and might cry if it's not working. Even more so if Blivvy is out of action too.

My track record isn't good with big rides working. Went to PortAventura a couple of years ago only to find Dragon Khan was broken. Gutted, especially as i had to put up with a bad neck picked up from Furius Baco :-/
Wedjie

tommyjlewis wrote: On park today, the Smiler is closed hopefully opening this afternoon and Oblivion is closed all day
Is there any idea why oblivion is closed aswell?
AT seem to be suggesting its closure is completely unrelated but it is very unclear why?

Any ideas? Or even speculation?
tommyjlewis

Wedjie wrote:
tommyjlewis wrote: On park today, the Smiler is closed hopefully opening this afternoon and Oblivion is closed all day
Is there any idea why oblivion is closed aswell?
AT seem to be suggesting its closure is completely unrelated but it is very unclear why?

Any ideas? Or even speculation?
No reason given, I asked if it would open today and they replied with a firm 'No'
krug

I'm such a big fan of AT.  But my visit yesterday was sooo disappointing.  I have never seen so many rides break down.
Obviously you know the smiler and blivy were closed.  But Rita also had downtime along with sonic.  Also after seeing a notice board saying air was back open, we got there in 5 mins, and it was closed.  So they were lying on the notice board.  This really annoyed me!  Don't start lying about which rides are open AT!
I had a good day but only due to the group of people I was with.  We got our Sun tickets re validated which is something.  But I just think that they need to spend some money on workforce to get this sorted quickly.  2 days on the run is not acceptable.
Wedjie

krug wrote: ...I have never seen so many rides break down.
...But I just think that they need to spend some money on workforce to get this sorted quickly.  2 days on the run is not acceptable.
I think theyre probably throwing all the staff at The Smiler.
I think if they know that the smiler will be closed for an extended period, they should divert staff to other failing rides that can be repaired quickly...

It really isnt going well for them atm.
krug

I agree.  If the smiler is down, then they at least need to make sure everything else is open.
Its a hard one.  Concentrate on the smiler or get the quick fixes out of the way on the other rides.
Either way, people will still be unhappy, but the latter i suppose, less unhappy.
Difficult difficult, lemon difficult.
JamieH93

anyone know why oblivion is out of action?
i just give up on the smiler but, not oblivion that would annoy me if it wasnt running when im there
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
stu1980

Hi all have posted a few times here in the smiler so just thought i would answer some questions that i know the answer to.

1 - tickets pre bought or for a day like today when the smiler is shut if you go to Guest services they will write on your ticket "to be used once any day smiler" - i know this as took some friends the 2nd day the ride was ment to be open and they signed them over for next day. (Just a note the guy infront of me was shouting and swearing the staff told him to calm down he did not and was took out the park with no refund or re visit so chill and ask nice)

2nd - i also hold a MAP again go to guest services and they will give you another month on your MAP only if you say you came to ride the smiler again i know this as they did mine.

3rd - Yes ok its getting a bit off putting but Alton are most probs fully aware of the damage that this is causing the park etc and most probs aware that Alton is fast falling into the Thorpe Park line or rides that breakdown all the time. I can and many here will say the same they wont just shut rides for no reason. What ever the reason its a big reason to do it. As the damage it can cause is like wow in fact if you have never been to the park before it could be the difference to a revisit or slagging the place off to hell and high water.

Alton are at time of press doing what most BIG company's do at a massive cost to them and that is Damage limitation. They dont have to offer a return visit ANYTIME OF THE YEAR (And it include scare fest and fireworks) They dont have to offer MAP holders 1 mth free on the pass. BUT they are to try to ease the blow. Alton know they have got it wrong this time and are trying to sort it out asap what we need to do as fans of the park etc is keep supporting them and keep going. Thats all 
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
mwflynn06

Going to towers on tuesday really hoping that both Oblivion and The Smiler will be open, I put off going opening week (was a good desision in the end with the delayed opening) so i wouldnt encounter the long ques and teething problems. Booked to go on tuesday thinking that the ride would be running smootly with the occasional break down as its to be expected with it being a new ride. Now The smiler hasnt been open for 2 days with no real evidence as to why its not operating am getting abit worried. Touch wood she opens in time for tuesday or atleast Oblivionn re-opens.
tommyjlewis

The Smiler has just opened, in the queue now :-)
MatthewR1990

Towers have tweeted.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
tommyjlewis

Apologise if this has already been discussed but there is zero screeching on the wheels
tyrex

tommyjlewis wrote: Apologise if this has already been discussed but there is zero screeching on the wheels
Gerstlauer in discovery-of-the-purpose-of-grease shocker  :shock:
jamesc

tommyjlewis wrote: Apologise if this has already been discussed but there is zero screeching on the wheels
Maybe they closed The Smiler for almost two days to change the wheels then, at last they have the right ones, they must have just received the new wheels yesterday.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
ProjectK

I thought the problem was with the first lift hill chain?!
Chain, wheels, trim brakes... who knows?!
Let's just hope that this is an end to the teething troubles...
Wedjie

ProjectK wrote: Let's just hope that this is an end to the teething troubles...
Woah! Don't jinx it! :P