The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Cobby

Mikw wrote:
Nickolai wrote:
Cobby wrote:To be honest the lifts probably feel worse on Smiler as both of them are not working as intended. With most gerst's the train stops at the bottom of the lift and the chain speeds up to get the catch car in place before slowing down so it gently connects with the train and then speeding back up to take the train up the lift. I don't know why but this doesn't happen on Smiler (I'm guessing either the train parks wrong or the computer is not quite calibrated properly) so what happens is that the chain slows too early and speeds up before its connected to the train. This caused an interested jolt last season, more noticeably on the vertical lift, as the catch car hit the train causing the train to move forward before sliding back into the catch car.
I am surprised nothing has been done to correct this by maintenance because I have noted this for the past few seasons. The jolts are really uncomfortable, compared to watching some footage from the ride in opening year. I do find it rather bizarre.
Well, you'll be pleased to know that the lift chain jolts have now gone! Much smoother process now, and ALL the effects are working on the Marmaliser - credit where credit is due
I noticed that when I rode it last week. I actually enjoy this ride again with the return of single rider and a few other things fixed. It's still not 100% but it is loads better than last season
Nickolai

When I rode, the train rolled back slightly at the bottom of the second lift. They considerably quietened down the lift 1 audio too.
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I noticed that on opening weekend. I really struggled to hear it!
Nickolai

I thought for quite a few years it was too loud but now it is quiet it just doesn't feel the same. Hearing it bleed out in to the queue adds extra SFX too adding to the atmosphere, which you can't hear now.

On the Sunday, the projection room was working perfectly: all lights off, strobes on, all four projectors working.
Formally Smiler313
Swarm Chris

Part of The Smiler soundtrack is quieter, and people are disappointed they can't hear it so well? Sounds like a brilliant improvement to me! :sus:
ChessingtonSam

Dan wrote:One thing I have noticed that is a carryover from last season, is that the audio track just before the first lift hill is deathly quiet.

When I visited last week, the orange lights were on (having not been working on opening weekend) but the audio is still really quiet, a far cry from how it’s traditionally been.

I’m not sure whether they have received feedback from guests that it was too loud, which might be why they’ve turned it down, but I certainly think they need to turn it up a bit just to add a bit more atmosphere to that section of the ride.
On the other hand, the audio before lift 2 is stupid loud. Like, loud enough for you to clearly hear it from in front of the Towers. I had to block my ears on every ride I had on it over the last three days.
Dan

Swarm Chris wrote:Part of The Smiler soundtrack is quieter, and people are disappointed they can't hear it so well? Sounds like a brilliant improvement to me! :sus:
Some of us actually like The Smiler soundtrack :P
Justin

Here here, Dan! :lol
Nickolai

ChessingtonSam wrote:
Dan wrote:One thing I have noticed that is a carryover from last season, is that the audio track just before the first lift hill is deathly quiet.

When I visited last week, the orange lights were on (having not been working on opening weekend) but the audio is still really quiet, a far cry from how it’s traditionally been.

I’m not sure whether they have received feedback from guests that it was too loud, which might be why they’ve turned it down, but I certainly think they need to turn it up a bit just to add a bit more atmosphere to that section of the ride.
On the other hand, the audio before lift 2 is stupid loud. Like, loud enough for you to clearly hear it from in front of the Towers. I had to block my ears on every ride I had on it over the last three days.
I mean I am sure they just changed the volume, but they could have swapped the speakers around? 
Formally Smiler313
jackf1tz

Lift 2 has always been really loud from what I remember, it seems unlikely that they would have swapped the speakers round when they could simply turn down the volume on one of them. In my opinion, the really loud audio is what makes the ride more memorable.
Nickolai

Yeah I did start to like the loud audio over time. It feels more 'brainwashing' and you are less in control.
Formally Smiler313
wamdue

Dan wrote:
Swarm Chris wrote:Part of The Smiler soundtrack is quieter, and people are disappointed they can't hear it so well? Sounds like a brilliant improvement to me! :sus:
Some of us actually like The Smiler soundtrack :P
like / haunted by in our attempt at sleep in the hotel room that same day, its almost the same thing
Tom170499

I love The Smiler’s soundtrack and I also noticed the quieter Lift 1 SFX earlier this week. I would love the whole ride area to return to 2013 levels of volume and to have the reference to correction return but I feel it’s unlikely. However, it’s nice to see all the effects working again, the mist spray from the Giggler was really good! 
Nickolai

As much as some people hate it I do think sound is a key part to the ride's theme.
Formally Smiler313
GregH94

Forgot to ask this weekend, what’s actually the deal with the SR entrance being unmarked outside? It’s no secret that it’s back in use if you just ask AT on Twitter if the ride has it, or to those who find out when they get to the indoor section.
Justin

I actually think it is a good thing that it remains unmarked. It allows for genuine use of the system.
Swarm Chris

Agree with Justin here. Disney do a similar thing on rides where they're happy to have single riders, but perhaps not a mass of people using it all at the same time. In those cases you have to get a ticket from a cast member and go through the exit, with only the park map stating single rider is available. So an acknowledgment from the park that it exists, but without it being massively advertised at the entrance, should similarly limit it's use.
DeadJack5

As reported by TowersStreet Facebook, The Smiler now has signature advertising the single rider queue line.

ToriW

Oh no ..... I was kind of hoping they wouldn't put a sign up! 
ROYJESS

Same here