The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mikecloud1984

Renoh wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: Love how everyone fights over the "it's the train - no it's the track BS". Surely you all have qualifications in rollercoaster engineering.
Exactly! My point is that it could be anything because none of us are rollercoaster engineers.
I can only assume that you are a very pessemistic person in real life.

When all evidence points to one thing (the train), then chances are thats the answer.

Saying "it could be something else" does not help a discussion without actually telling us what "something else" is.

I am assuming you didn't mean there are goblins living in the track at the batwing element?
AltonThorpe

As long as it's open and STAYS OPEN from now on we should all be happy.
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
dangerousdave1983

mikecloud1984 wrote:
Renoh wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: Love how everyone fights over the "it's the train - no it's the track BS". Surely you all have qualifications in rollercoaster engineering.
Exactly! My point is that it could be anything because none of us are rollercoaster engineers.
I can only assume that you are a very pessemistic person in real life.

When all evidence points to one thing (the train), then chances are thats the answer.

Saying "it could be something else" does not help a discussion without actually telling us what "something else" is.

I am assuming you didn't mean there are goblins living in the track at the batwing element?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just saying it's the train "when" it could be other factors. Just because they took the train away doesn't mean it's the train, it just means that there could be issue's with the design and/or other things that we don't know about.

Dont be so closed minded that it's just the train.
Stellafella

Dont wanna get into the whole train or track argument but does the train cause the track to heat up? So if train 4 goes round and heats the track up then 5 stalls, is it possible that if train 5 was not there and it was back to 1 then that wud of stalled.
I dont think any of us will really know so Im just gonna keep bidding my time till its run perfectly for a few weeks then go.
Even then im not guaranteed to ride as when i went a few weeks back there was a power cut and the whole park was down lol
JW599

Please don't let the Train/Track debate go down the same route as the f*ns discussion  :|

I'll be going Friday - hope all is well!
swatson90

Lets play the 'How long it is before they have to swap a train game'

Happened twice when i was lucky enough to ride it on Monday (before it gave up for good), if they have to again that really is a bit worrying, i think they quite simply opened it too early, under too much pressure to open in May
jayson2125

Not sure if this has been posted already but when I was at AT on Sunday we had 4 goes on the smiler and on the last go the train we were on was vibrating so bad that it made your feet tingle during the ride and on the final brake run it felt like there were flat spots on the wheels as every second or so there would be a feeling similar to if you drive over a small pothole in a car.

Is the Smiler going to eat wheels at a rate of knots and be expensive to keep running I wonder.?

I seem to remember on here a while back someone posting that Spinball goes through a set of wheels a month.

Based on the above the smiler has gone through a wheel/wheels in 5 days..Ouch

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Instant Mix

A heavier train will take longer to stop due to conservation of momentum.( however it will still have the same vertical speed). The lighter the train, the quicker it loses energy when travelling the circuit, meaning it will not go as high ( as less kinetic > potential ) than if it was a heavier train. They will both have a maximum height however.

That's why it's valleying. It's cold, meaning more friction, and there's no dummies on the car, reducing the weight and momentum.
dangerousdave1983

Instant Mix wrote: A heavier train will take longer to stop due to conservation of momentum.( however it will still have the same vertical speed). The lighter the train, the quicker it loses energy when travelling the circuit, meaning it will not go as high ( as less kinetic > potential ) than if it was a heavier train. They will both have a maximum height however.

That's why it's valleying. It's cold, meaning more friction, and there's no dummies on the car, reducing the weight and momentum.
Thank you, Mike see this bit "That's why it's valleying. It's cold, meaning more friction, and there's no dummies on the car, reducing the weight and momentum"
mikecloud1984

dangerousdave1983 wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: A heavier train will take longer to stop due to conservation of momentum.( however it will still have the same vertical speed). The lighter the train, the quicker it loses energy when travelling the circuit, meaning it will not go as high ( as less kinetic > potential ) than if it was a heavier train. They will both have a maximum height however.

Thank you, Mike see this bit "That's why it's valleying. It's cold, meaning more friction, and there's no dummies on the car, reducing the weight and momentum"
That's not why it is valleying at all.

The points above effect EVERY rollercoaster in the world - its natural physics.

The reason the train valleyed yesterday is because it had a bad wheel which has already been documented by people on this thread.

We also saw said train being removed via van without its front wheel.

I really do not understand what more can be said to prove that this was simply a train issue and nothing more.

Had it been anymore then the ride would not pass H&S and would NOT be open.
zenith

Could this just be as simple as a bad train coupled with it being first thing in the morning and it being empty? This would cause a train that struggles more than the others to go from creeping round to actually not going round at all.
mikecloud1984

zenith wrote: Could this just be as simple as a bad train coupled with it being first thing in the morning and it being empty? This would cause a train that struggles more than the others to go from creeping round to actually not going round at all.
Being early morning has nothing to do with it - 4 trains made full circuits before the vallyed train.

This is simply an issue with that train - nothing more, nothing less.
zenith

mikecloud1984 wrote:
zenith wrote: Could this just be as simple as a bad train coupled with it being first thing in the morning and it being empty? This would cause a train that struggles more than the others to go from creeping round to actually not going round at all.
Being early morning has nothing to do with it - 4 trains made full circuits before the vallyed train.

I think it was only 3 trains before the 4th valleyed. Do we know if that same train was running ok on Monday though? Would it make sense to add a new train if it's been running ok for the past 4 days?
mikecloud1984

zenith wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:

I think it was only 3 trains before the 4th valleyed. Do we know if that same train was running ok on Monday though? Would it make sense to add a new train if it's been running ok for the past 4 days?
Apologies, 3 trains. The 4th Valleyed.

This was taken from user accounts yesterday. I was not on scene.

However, the fact remains that trains made a full circuit, one didn't and valleyed in the batwing and was the seen being taken away later without its front right UPVC wheel.
zenith

Yeah I was, and to be honest from where I was stood, it was difficult to tell how many trains they had in the station area so I couldn't tell if they had 2, 3 or 4 trains going. The point I was trying to make is do we know definitively if the train that valleyed ever made it round, be it yesterday, Monday or the weekend?
mikecloud1984

zenith wrote: Yeah I was, and to be honest from where I was stood, it was difficult to tell how many trains they had in the station area so I couldn't tell if they had 2, 3 or 4 trains going. The point I was trying to make is do we know definitively if the train that valleyed ever made it round, be it yesterday, Monday or the weekend?
I don't think anyone can specualte that - but you would imagine all trains would be tested throughally to make sure they make a full circuit.
JamieH93

180 min on ridetimes
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
mikecloud1984

Ouch!

3 hours is a hell of a long time to stand in the sun!

Hopefully will be walk on when I visit 1st October!
Mogga

I was near the front of the queue on opening day, during testing in the hour prior to the ride open, one of the trains *almost* didn't make the batwing.  It was so noticable that there was actually a gasp from everybody around.  The next train round the track didn't slow at all on the same point,  it also wasn't the first train round.

It's clearly an issue with a certain train or certain set of wheels.
GigaSurimi

JamieH93 wrote: 180 min on ridetimes
180min seems to be the "Maximum" value of the displays on the website, since it never seems to go above that.
For those who've been on the Smiler already, is it actually exaggerated or under-estimated? (Or maybe accurate?)