The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sully1311

Gonna upload a photo on twitter: @sully1311

Edit: just leaving xsector, they've just removed another bit of train, more photos uploading to twitter. Upload on here at will!!
Last edited by sully1311 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie16

I don't know how else to link it.
Last edited by Ollie16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What he said.
sully1311

Just uploaded a video of the crane removing a row of the train on twitter @sully1311. Anyone just embed it to the page, I'm on an iPhone.

Edit: http://telly.com/SRCPFZ
Last edited by sully1311 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astralAndy

GigaSurimi wrote: Geez, this coaster is a mess! I hope they sort everything out very quickly. It's as bad for AT as it is for the guests.
I agree with whoever said that they should just completely close it (and make an announcement about it) until they fully test it - they can then make another announcement to inform that it is ready and open forever. Seems like now it's all just down to luck for the guests, that is very disappointing.
I agree that they should close it down for a set period, maybe for a full midweek slot (with announcement the week before maybe) , and try to get to grips with / solve what seems to be a variety of different problems. One very big problem that also needs to be sorted out is the seemingly massive difference in one or 2 of the trains/car sections that is giving some people what they describe as a 'painful experience' , not just people that like to moan but also optimistic coaster fans have been reporting intermittent terrible ride experiences for the second half especially, and it's much to do with bad trains. The ride experience is what it's all about and is the most important thing of all in my opinion (as well as the ride actually working I guess! ;) ) so if they need to do some investigating and tweaking / re-configuring then they should have a few days and nights with the engineers and ride experts to get it all as good as can be. Including the computers and everything else (and those controlling the computers ;) )

One thing I dont agree with so much is it being so bad for AT as the guests, yeah they are upsetting some people but they're still raking the money in more than ever and cant see it slowing throughout the summer/autumn. I guess if the problems carried on throughout the year it would have more of an effect on AT's profits though. Sadly it looks like at the moment they don't dare to admit the thing needs a bit of time to properly sort out so that, like you say, it can stay open forever!  :)
Last edited by astralAndy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

astralAndy wrote:
GigaSurimi wrote: Geez, this coaster is a mess! I hope they sort everything out very quickly. It's as bad for AT as it is for the guests.
I agree with whoever said that they should just completely close it (and make an announcement about it) until they fully test it - they can then make another announcement to inform that it is ready and open forever. Seems like now it's all just down to luck for the guests, that is very disappointing.
I agree that they should close it down for a set period, maybe for a full midweek slot (with announcement the week before maybe) , and try to get to grips with / solve what seems to be a variety of different problems. One very big problem that also needs to be sorted out is the seemingly massive difference in one or 2 of the trains/car sections that is giving some people what they describe as a 'painful experience' , not just people that like to moan but also optimistic coaster fans have been reporting intermittent terrible ride experiences for the second half especially, and it's much to do with bad trains. The ride experience is what it's all about and is the most important thing of all in my opinion (as well as the ride actually working I guess! ;) ) so if they need to do some investigating and tweaking / re-configuring then they should have a few days and nights with the engineers and ride experts to get it all as good as can be. Including the computers and everything else (and those controlling the computers ;) )

One thing I dont agree with so much is it being so bad for AT as the guests, yeah they are upsetting some people but they're still raking the money in more than ever and cant see it slowing throughout the summer/autumn. I guess if the problems carried on throughout the year it would have more of an effect on AT's profits though. Sadly it looks like at the moment they don't dare to admit the thing needs a bit of time to properly sort out so that, like you say, it can stay open forever!  :)
I

I think thats a bit unfair on AT.

Gerst would have tested this ride for 200+ hours.

But it is a new train set up - new tech all around because of this and probably new computer systems to monitor everything. We can accept computer glitches - they happen all the time - it's not something that can be helped.

They are new trains - anyone else remember the trouble AT had with the Air trains when they were new?

AT will iron this out - they will remove the dodgy trains (which they have), remove the wheel covers (which they have) and I would imagine now they will just pull the plug on the non-existant trims.

Why are the trims there in the first place if they are not being used? For wet weather? Ice?
dazza4783

Here are the pics from twitter.

From Ollie16

Sully1311

JW599

mikecloud1984 wrote: Why are the trims there in the first place if they are not being used? For wet weather? Ice?
Could be to prevent a roll-back going back over the lift hill, the momentum would mean a long wait for the train to stop. If i remember there is also a platform along that run - easy evacuation.

Also to prevents long-term wear.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

JW599 wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote: Why are the trims there in the first place if they are not being used? For wet weather? Ice?
Could be to prevent a roll-back going back over the lift hill, the momentum would mean a long wait for the train to stop. If i remember there is also a platform along that run - easy evacuation.

Also to prevents long-term wear.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting, but it doesn't seem like the correct reasoning...

Trims are there to control the speed of the train, so that when it goes through an element extreme, or high unwanted G forces aren't placed on the rider, or any parts of the ride (trains and track).
astralAndy

mikecloud1984 wrote:
astralAndy wrote:

I

But it is a new train set up - new tech all around because of this and probably new computer systems to monitor everything. We can accept computer glitches - they happen all the time - it's not something that can be helped.

They are new trains - anyone else remember the trouble AT had with the Air trains when they were new?

AT will iron this out - they will remove the dodgy trains (which they have), remove the wheel covers (which they have) and I would imagine now they will just pull the plug on the non-existant trims.

Why are the trims there in the first place if they are not being used? For wet weather? Ice?
What is unfair to AT? I love the Towers and the company, I just said I think it would be a good idea to have the thing closed officially to iron out these problems. You say the bad train was taken out, but people are still reporting intermittent really rough rides. I'm not poking blame, but I do think that AT need to sort these things out. They would likely close it for a little while to do more tests and sort it out if they weren't worried about guest back-lash and loss of earnings, hence me saying it seems they seemingly dont dare to do it at the moment.
Phild94

Anyone willing to pay me a few quid to break into an undisclosed military facility now held by a maniacal doctor to try to free advocates from the wrath of his trims of chaos?

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
mikecloud1984

astralAndy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:
astralAndy wrote: I agree that they should close it down for a set period, maybe for a full midweek slot (with announcement the week before maybe) , and try to get to grips with / solve what seems to be a variety of different problems. One very big problem that also needs to be sorted out is the seemingly massive difference in one or 2 of the trains/car sections that is giving some people what they describe as a 'painful experience' , not just people that like to moan but also optimistic coaster fans have been reporting intermittent terrible ride experiences for the second half especially, and it's much to do with bad trains. The ride experience is what it's all about and is the most important thing of all in my opinion (as well as the ride actually working I guess! ;) ) so if they need to do some investigating and tweaking / re-configuring then they should have a few days and nights with the engineers and ride experts to get it all as good as can be. Including the computers and everything else (and those controlling the computers ;) )

I

What is unfair to AT? I love the Towers and the company, I just said I think it would be a good idea to have the thing closed officially to iron out these problems. You say the bad train was taken out, but people are still reporting intermittent really rough rides. I'm not poking blame, but I do think that AT need to sort these things out. They would likely close it for a little while to do more tests and sort it out if they weren't worried about guest back-lash and loss of earnings, hence me saying it seems they seemingly dont dare to do it at the moment.
I say it's unfair on AT because everything that has gone wrong has not been their fault - it's all Gerst who have supplied a new coaster design (new tech anyway), new trains and the fact thats its a worlds first ride.

There really isn't much more they can do to get the ride working properly and consistantly apart from deal with issues as and when they happen; which is exactly what they are doing.

No more amount of testing is ever going to solve the issues that we have currently seen - bad wheel on train, vert lift failure, trim failure - these are all anomilies that can only be fixed once they happen.
astralAndy

mikecloud1984 wrote:
I say it's unfair on AT because everything that has gone wrong has not been their fault - it's all Gerst who have supplied a new coaster design (new tech anyway), new trains and the fact thats its a worlds first ride.

There really isn't much more they can do to get the ride working properly and consistantly apart from deal with issues as and when they happen; which is exactly what they are doing.

No more amount of testing is ever going to solve the issues that we have currently seen - bad wheel on train, vert lift failure, trim failure - these are all anomilies that can only be fixed once they happen.
I never said it was their fault though did I, or anyone's fault and I just clarified that in my last post. We all know it was gerst that made the ride, I'm not looking for a lesson. I was just saying what I thought would be a good way to get the thing sorted. They could get some Gerst people in too, whatever. It's not crazy to think there could be things that would go wrong and then be rectified whilst lot's of run troughs and testing are done over days. Observations can be made. What went 'wrong' today was whilst morning testing, and also in the past that's what happened. Anomilies found through testing. I dont pretend to know everything about coasters and testing and I wasn't blaming anyone, I was only throwing an idea out there! I'm not wanting a debate, or to be told I'm unfair, thanks  ;)
Last edited by astralAndy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AidanCKY

The other car is now off the track. Both rear wheels on the car are missing the polyurethane that the other wheels have.
mikecloud1984

astralAndy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:

I never said it was their fault though did I, or anyone's fault and I just clarified that in my last post. We all know it was gerst that made the ride, I'm not looking for a lesson. I was just saying what I thought would be a good way to get the thing sorted. They could get some Gerst people in too, whatever. It's not crazy to think there could be things that would go wrong and then be rectified whilst lot's of run troughs and testing are done over days. Observations can be made. What went 'wrong' today was whilst morning testing, and also in the past that's what happened. Anomilies found through testing. I dont pretend to know everything about coasters and testing and I wasn't blaming anyone, I was only throwing an idea out there! I'm not wanting a debate, or to be told I'm unfair, thanks  ;)
Well you are wanting a debate - because you have posted it on a forum.

There is no reason for AT to shut The Smiler for a prolonged amount of time. It will not accomplish anything. I would guarentee that AT are still learning of anomolies with Air, Oblvion, 13 etc to this day - these things happen.

Unfortunately for The Smiler, these errors have all happened at once - but unsuprisingly they have all happened when the ride is new.

Fundementally, there is nothing wrong with the ride - its done its 200+ hours of testing and these things still happen.

How long would you suggest AT run the Smiler for? Another 200 hours? 400 hours?

According to your idea, AT are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It won't happen, The Smiler will once again be open tomorrow.
mikecloud1984

AidanCKY wrote: The other car is now off the track. Both rear wheels on the car are missing the polyurethane that the other wheels have.
They are obviously having some major issues with these new cars - do we think its a bit of brinkmanship from AT to blame a computer glitch and the trims when in actual fact it is the trains all along?
astralAndy

mikecloud1984 wrote:
astralAndy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:

There is no reason for AT to shut The Smiler for a prolonged amount of time. It will not accomplish anything. I would guarentee that AT are still learning of anomolies with Air, Oblvion, 13 etc to this day - these things happen.

Unfortunately for The Smiler, these errors have all happened at once - but unsuprisingly they have all happened when the ride is new.

Fundementally, there is nothing wrong with the ride - its done its 200+ hours of testing and these things still happen.

According to your idea, AT are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It won't happen, The Smiler will once again be open tomorrow.
Many disagree with you (not necessarily me) and think that there are actually some things fundamentally wrong with the ride and/or trains, that's the point (which I know you wont entertain and I honestly don't want to debate). I like discussion, I'm not in the mood to be dragged into a debate (especially those with a seemingly arrogant tone) nor was I looking for one although it seems you think you know what I was looking for better than me, so I'm not going to bother to answer the other questions. Apologies, this just isn't for me. You can assume you are correct on all counts if you like. ;)
Peace  :D
mikecloud1984

astralAndy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:
astralAndy wrote: I never said it was their fault though did I, or anyone's fault and I just clarified that in my last post. We all know it was gerst that made the ride, I'm not looking for a lesson. I was just saying what I thought would be a good way to get the thing sorted. They could get some Gerst people in too, whatever. It's not crazy to think there could be things that would go wrong and then be rectified whilst lot's of run troughs and testing are done over days. Observations can be made. What went 'wrong' today was whilst morning testing, and also in the past that's what happened. Anomilies found through testing. I dont pretend to know everything about coasters and testing and I wasn't blaming anyone, I was only throwing an idea out there! I'm not wanting a debate, or to be told I'm unfair, thanks  ;)

Many disagree with you (not necessarily me) and think that there are actually some things fundamentally wrong with the ride and/or trains, that's the point (which I know you wont entertain and I honestly don't want to debate). I like discussion, I'm not in the mood to be dragged into a debate (especially those with a seemingly arrogant tone) nor was I looking for one although it seems you think you know what I was looking for better than me, so I'm not going to bother to answer the other questions. Apologies, this just isn't for me. You can assume you are correct on all counts if you like. ;)
Peace  :D
If there was anything fundementally wrong with the ride - it would not be open. Full stop.

Discussion/debate - is there a diference?

I was merely contesting your idea that AT should close their ride for an undetermined amount of time to "see" if something goes wrong and to fix things if they do.

There is no way in a million years that AT would even think about doing this - it's their £18m new baby - which has been signed off by H&S and by Gerst.

If you do not like people contesting your suggestions then I suggest you maybe not post on an discussion thread on a forum.
simononestop

i still dont get the trims?
the whole ride would have been calculated to the exact speeds etc.
including resistance/wind resistance wear on the wheels.
why would they need trims to reduce g's on riders???

they couls have just made the drops/invertions smaller different in planning to counter act accesive g's this makes no sense to me. but hey what do I know.
ScouserJohn

just a quick question, why dont alton towers test their rides at night once everyone has left the park, then of a morning when the park opens they obviously test the ERT rides before park open at 9, so why dont they start the testing for smiler at the same time

another question off subject, ive been told to purchase my parking ticket before i enter the park makes it easier when your finished, were do you get the parking tickets from and how much is it ?
AidanCKY

ScouserJohn wrote: just a quick question, why dont alton towers test their rides at night once everyone has left the park, then of a morning when the park opens they obviously test the ERT rides before park open at 9, so why dont they start the testing for smiler at the same time

another question off subject, ive been told to purchase my parking ticket before i enter the park makes it easier when your finished, were do you get the parking tickets from and how much is it ?
Theres some near the entrance turnstiles. I went earlier. Go now the queue will be huge later