The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nickolai

Cobby wrote:To be honest the lifts probably feel worse on Smiler as both of them are not working as intended. With most gerst's the train stops at the bottom of the lift and the chain speeds up to get the catch car in place before slowing down so it gently connects with the train and then speeding back up to take the train up the lift. I don't know why but this doesn't happen on Smiler (I'm guessing either the train parks wrong or the computer is not quite calibrated properly) so what happens is that the chain slows too early and speeds up before its connected to the train. This caused an interested jolt last season, more noticeably on the vertical lift, as the catch car hit the train causing the train to move forward before sliding back into the catch car.
I am surprised nothing has been done to correct this by maintenance because I have noted this for the past few seasons. The jolts are really uncomfortable, compared to watching some footage from the ride in opening year. I do find it rather bizarre.
Formally Smiler313
Cobby

Yeah it's a weird one especially because I can't imagine it being any good for the trains or the chain. 
AltonOperator

Dom wrote:I haven’t said anything negative about others enjoying the ride. Everything I have said is my own personal opinion :) If people enjoy than they enjoy it. I am not the sort of person to hate on someone because they like something I don’t and if it came across like that than I apologise :)
You are quite within your right to hate the ride even if others like it. It's your opinion and to a certain extent I share it. I agree that it is rough and dirty and generally messy with theme and story. I think the best part of the theme is the music which is a shame because it's probably my least favourite part of the ride! I absolutely hate it! The queue always feels so long and loud. the only part of the attraction I like is the coaster. It's good and there are some forces in places. Not fantastic. It's even probably below Th13teen in my rankings.
Thanks Jack
Sporech

It's a huge shame to see Alton neglect this ride so badly. Being at Alton on the Smiler's opening day will always stand out as one of my best memories and is really what made me become an enthusiast. I really love this ride, the layout and the theme etc. but it's really heartbreaking when you see the rust, grime and state of the ride. I really hope Alton give it some much needed TLC sooner or later. 
MakoMania

Single Rider signs have re-appeared around The Smiler :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Wagstaff04

As well as that, the entire pit has been given a jet wash and the indoor areas of the queue and exit have been freshened up.
Chris
Admin
Admin

I am hoping because Single Rider has been reintroduced, it means the baggage hold and batcher will be too. Fingers crossed..
James89

Definitely a smart move reintroducing Single Rider. Made no sense to remove it in the first place. Makes me wonder what else (if anything) they might reintroduce it to.
GregH94

Chris wrote:I am hoping because Single Rider has been reintroduced, it means the baggage hold and batcher will be too. Fingers crossed..
So far, batcher has - the old Fastrack queue is back in use so they’re needed.
streetmagix

James89 wrote:Definitely a smart move reintroducing Single Rider. Made no sense to remove it in the first place. Makes me wonder what else (if anything) they might reintroduce it to.
At a guess: Thirteen. The B&Ms don't really need it, RITA would be nice but if I remember correctly that was removed before the others. Wicker Man never had it. Baggage holds would be nice, or maybe outdoor lockers like at Universal, Europa and other parks. 
DeadJack5

I do think this is a step in the right direction. Single Rider queues are great for those quick rides or not wanting to drag the rest of your group. Hopefully throughout the season we can see the trialling on other rides and we may see a return in the future?
wamdue

Wagstaff04 wrote:As well as that, the entire pit has been given a jet wash and the indoor areas of the queue and exit have been freshened up.
Should this happen every off season or even on a day the ride is closed for some other reason?
Justin

Single riders are good, but they can be abused by large group at times, however, if it fills up empty seats then great. It is most certainly a step in the right direction though!

With regards to the pit being cleaned... at last!!
Let's hope the rest of the ride has been brought up to standards!
Rob
Admin
Admin

Single rider on the Smiler is a smart move. I only got 1 go last year when with the family as had to queue for an hour and then do parent swap. I just hope its reintroduced to other rides too. 

*Prays for Wicker man SRQ
PhNx Survivor

Archermav wrote:All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)
Emm.. and the original audio, and signage around the area don't forget!

Awaiting the season "Halfway Corrected" is brought back.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
GregH94

PhNx Survivor wrote:
Archermav wrote:All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)

I see no reason not to add that back or add new audio at the halfway point at some stage, it’s very unlikely anyone would take offense now. 
ROYJESS

Rob wrote:
*Prays for Wicker man SRQ
I would love to see a SRQ on Wicker man, but I can only see it working if you bypass the pre-show as groups of people can abuse it.
AltonOperator

GregH94 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

I see no reason not to add that back or add new audio at the halfway point at some stage, it’s very unlikely anyone would take offense now. 
They probably won't because there is no benefit from putting them back. I also know that they rarely take care of signage once it is removed so it is likely that it is currently in a skip or in landfill unfortunately. The audio has obviously not been sent to the tip :lol but again there isn't really a reason for them to put it back. most riders have no idea that it was once there.
Thanks Jack
Mikw

Nickolai wrote:
Cobby wrote:To be honest the lifts probably feel worse on Smiler as both of them are not working as intended. With most gerst's the train stops at the bottom of the lift and the chain speeds up to get the catch car in place before slowing down so it gently connects with the train and then speeding back up to take the train up the lift. I don't know why but this doesn't happen on Smiler (I'm guessing either the train parks wrong or the computer is not quite calibrated properly) so what happens is that the chain slows too early and speeds up before its connected to the train. This caused an interested jolt last season, more noticeably on the vertical lift, as the catch car hit the train causing the train to move forward before sliding back into the catch car.
I am surprised nothing has been done to correct this by maintenance because I have noted this for the past few seasons. The jolts are really uncomfortable, compared to watching some footage from the ride in opening year. I do find it rather bizarre.
Well, you'll be pleased to know that the lift chain jolts have now gone! Much smoother process now, and ALL the effects are working on the Marmaliser - credit where credit is due
Dan

One thing I have noticed that is a carryover from last season, is that the audio track just before the first lift hill is deathly quiet.

When I visited last week, the orange lights were on (having not been working on opening weekend) but the audio is still really quiet, a far cry from how it’s traditionally been.

I’m not sure whether they have received feedback from guests that it was too loud, which might be why they’ve turned it down, but I certainly think they need to turn it up a bit just to add a bit more atmosphere to that section of the ride.