The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

I'm so surprised about how many people saying The Smiler was so smooth this year. It certainly wasn't when I rode it in April! Roughest ride I've ever had on it.

Very disappointing to hear that some of the projectors in the queue are switched off, and even more disappointing about the effects on the Marmalizer not being used. With the single rider issue, I actually think it'd be better if they just left empty seats than waste time shouting right down the queue to try and fill those seats. It probably wastes more time than it's actually worth. The way the the queues are with The Smiler these days, I don't even consider riding without a Fastrack sadly.

Justin

The Wicker Man effect is starting to happen with the queue times for The Smiler. They are reducing in length (still long) but I certainly feel that I don't wait as long as I used to. A little bit of knowledge and planning also comes into play when navigating the park, but I wouldn't buy a fastrack for £10 as I think it is too much to queue the other side of the stairs.

The projectors were off last week, which was extremely disappointing. The lift hill screens were also off on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was there. Baggage seemed to be ok last week, although it would be better to have the hold open again.

The ride needs some love though :(
Dungeon-X-Smile

Wait has anyone noticed how they’ve completely destroyed the main queue? Not only did they take out a very important single rider queue, they now expect the general queue and a special fast track (idk much about it I think it’s the disabled but they came in at the bottom of the stairs?) to merge without staff. It was really weird and made little to no sense when I was there.
Dan

saw-x-smile wrote:Wait has anyone noticed how they’ve completely destroyed the main queue? Not only did they take out a very important single rider queue, they now expect the general queue and a special fast track (idk much about it I think it’s the disabled but they came in at the bottom of the stairs?) to merge without staff. It was really weird and made little to no sense when I was there.
It’s now been changed so that Fastrack and RAP users both use the same queue from the start, due to the “abuse” some RAP users were getting from people in the main queue for what they interpreted as queue jumping.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Dan wrote:
saw-x-smile wrote:Wait has anyone noticed how they’ve completely destroyed the main queue? Not only did they take out a very important single rider queue, they now expect the general queue and a special fast track (idk much about it I think it’s the disabled but they came in at the bottom of the stairs?) to merge without staff. It was really weird and made little to no sense when I was there.
It’s now been changed so that Fastrack and RAP users both use the same queue from the start, due to the “abuse” some RAP users were getting from people in the main queue for what they interpreted as queue jumping.
I was in the queue line once when they had it as the RAP just coming in and it looked so suspicious. There was no signs or anything and they just stood confused so it looked really like queue jumpers. I’m glad they fixed this issue! (It was a pretty stupid one tho imo)
JC13

Dan wrote:
Just out of interest, what is RAP?
Robert.W

Ride Acces Pass. It's used by people who aren't able to use the main queue or aren't able to queue for long periods of time due to a disability. Important to note that it is not Fastrack though, as even though the pass holder doesn't have to wait in the main queue line, they still have to wait a certain amount of time before they can use the pass after each ride they go on.
Last edited by Robert.W on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swarm Chris

RAP is Ride Access Pass. They're designed for those who have a disability and are unable to use the regular queuing system.

The passes come with a time sheet, such that the person goes to the RAP entrance and the staff member marks a return time for them, which will typically be the currently stated queue time. They then return at that time and are given, along with their helpers/group, as direct access as possible to the next available ride.

It's essentially virtual queuing, but with a lot more paperwork.

Edit: Ninja'd :sus:
JC13

Robert.W wrote:Ride Acces Pass. It's used by people who aren't able to use the main queue or aren't able to queue for long periods of time due to a disability. Important to note that it is not Fastrack though, as even though the pass holder doesn't have to wait in the main queue line, they still have to wait a certain amount of time before they can use the pass after each ride they go on.
Thanks!
ChessingtonSam

TPC wrote:RAP is Ride Access Pass. They're designed for those who have a disability and are unable to use the regular queuing system.

The passes come with a time sheet, such that the person goes to the RAP entrance and the staff member marks a return time for them, which will typically be the currently stated queue time. They then return at that time and are given, along with their helpers/group, as direct access as possible to the next available ride.

It's actually the other way round, as you get on the ride they mark a time for your next ride on something else. This only applies to certain rides aswell, not too sure on the ones at Alton, I'm pretty sure at Chessington it's Dragon's Fury, Vampire, Gruffalo, Tiny Truckers, Scorpion, Kobra and Tiger Rock though.
Swarm Chris

ChessingtonSam wrote:
TPC wrote:RAP is Ride Access Pass. They're designed for those who have a disability and are unable to use the regular queuing system.

It's actually the other way round, as you get on the ride they mark a time for your next ride on something else. This only applies to certain rides aswell, not too sure on the ones at Alton, I'm pretty sure at Chessington it's Dragon's Fury, Vampire, Gruffalo, Tiny Truckers, Scorpion, Kobra and Tiger Rock though.
Well that way around of doing things makes more sense in terms of managing it!

Glad The Smiler now has the RAP queue managed and not just dumped into the regular queue. Can imagine the interactions at the merging point have the potential to be pretty bad with the wrong group in the main queue line.
SilverBullet

Justin wrote:The Wicker Man effect is starting to happen with the queue times for The Smiler. They are reducing in length (still long)  but I certainly feel that I don't wait as long as I used to. A little bit of knowledge and planning also comes into play when navigating the park, but I wouldn't buy a fastrack for £10 as I think it is too much to queue the other side of the stairs.

The projectors were off last week, which was extremely disappointing.  The lift hill screens were also off on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was there. Baggage seemed to be ok last week, although it would be better to have the hold open again.

The ride needs some love though :(
Lift screens were off for me on Tuesday this week too. Great intense ride though.  Not even sure what the projectors are?!  I went on it twice in a row no queue whatsoever. 
Couldn't help thinking about the poor victims of the accident on that first hill climb though, it's the first time I've ridden it since that terrible day.
Mikw

Did it four times on Wednesday, not at all rough for me, really enjoyed it.
PhNx Survivor

So.. for the first time in a long time.. this being a few years.. the Tickler is actually working for once, (it’s always been off when I come), all screens and audio are working outside..

The Giggler is not working as far as I can see.. and the interior projectors are working except one to the left as you enter.. even the strobe lighting is on.. seems like they have cleaned the ride up a little as well in terms of litter.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Nickolai

The ride has improved as the season has progressed. I am not a fan of the yellow lighting in the projection room however.
Formally Smiler313
Nutty Man

Last time I rode it was running well, and didn't feel too rough. Have they cleaned the wall and handrail on the stairs though? Last time I went it was really dirty
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Justin

Unfortunately, the queueline was not pleasant at the weekend. Dan took a photo of the stairs and it was not nice. There was lots of rubbish and bundles of hair :|
Robert.W

TowersStreet posted some pictures earlier today showing that some areas of The Smiler's queue have been cleaned recently – hopefully this is just the start of a whole load of much needed TLC for the ride. 

Justin

Yeah, I've seen. I really hope so, Robert! A deep clean would go far!!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Robert.W wrote:TowersStreet posted some pictures earlier today showing that some areas of The Smiler's queue have been cleaned recently – hopefully this is just the start of a whole load of much needed TLC for the ride. 
Had literally been stood in the queue at the weekend thinking the area in question could do with something like a jet-wash...

Will be sure to channel thoughts of installing flat rides, reinstating SRQs, and longer opening hours on my next visit ;)