The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

alex tyler wrote: Why are the lifts set up different on The Smiler? they are a bit like Rita's launch system.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I'm thinking that you are referring to the fins on the lift hills...

Those are there as a new anti-rollback system, which allows the train to slowly descend back to the bottom of the lift hill, like in THIS video.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

lewis97 wrote:
alex tyler wrote: Why are the lifts set up different on The Smiler? they are a bit like Rita's launch system.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I'm thinking that you are referring to the fins on the lift hills...

Those are there as a new anti-rollback system, which allows the train to slowly descend back to the bottom of the lift hill, like in THIS video.
I was on that train. What I mean is when the train is at the bottom of the lift the chain is moveing but the train isn't, somthing extra is attached to the chain that pushes the train up the lift (like the catch car + the launch dog on Rita but at a slower speed (I think I've got the names right))
Last edited by Alex Tyler on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMMYD777

alex tyler wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

I was on that train. What I mean is when the train is at the bottom of the lift the chain is moveing but the train isn't, somthing extra is attached to the chain that pushes the train up the lift (like the catch car + the launch dog on Rita but at a slower speed (I think I've got the names right))
All Gerstlauer eurofighter's have used this chain system whereby a chain dog on the chain itself simply pushes the train up the hill. Why it is done I don't know however I feel it could be as it allows for more manoeuvrability of the train on the lift hill.
SW7:
Krazycoaster

AidanCKY wrote: Did notice the wheels are still squeeling around the track and visually you can see the polyurethane on the rear wheels is very worn - unevenly.
Get out your popcorn, it's time for stall four  :roll:
SmileyMan

Krazycoaster wrote:
AidanCKY wrote: Did notice the wheels are still squeeling around the track and visually you can see the polyurethane on the rear wheels is very worn - unevenly.
That made me laugh :D You have probably jinxed it as the last time someone said that, it stalled the next day :D
Kirsty25

kingbling11 wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: I went first thing and queued 90mins but was 7th car out of the station. Queued same length of time from 4.30, didn't try middle of the day!
You say first thing was that 9 or 10? If you joined at 9 i take it that means you technically only queued 30 mins after it opened?

Getting there at 10 what do people think the queue time will be like?

Also how accurate are the time boards? If it says 2 hrs are you queueing 2 hrs?

Finally when do Fasttracks tend to sell out?

Going on Sunday so want to minimise the wait on what is inevitably the busiest ride on park :)

Yeah first thing was being first through the gates at 9.00 and going straight to the queue, we were only queuing around 35 mins after the scheduled opening time and 10 mins of that was walking the empty queueline.

The queue times on the boards are pretty accurate, the actual queueline is around an hour -to an hour and half (main queue) and I never saw it less than that during my time there.

Fasttracks are normally sold out by around 11am by my understanding, though the earlier you get there, the earlier time slot you can "book", by 11am it may only be 4pm-5pm slot left :)
AidanCKY

Also fast-track wise, I bought mine at about 9:45 and my slot was 11:45 - 12:45. 

Mine was £7 (people on here said they were £10?)
daveclarkedaveclarke

Quick question its been a few weeks since I've been, are they still opening the smiler with 3 trains on the track or are they opening it with 4 trains on?

To be honest i don't see the point of opening their new ride with 3 trains on because they should know people will queue to ride it so isn't it better to open with 4 trains running?
boatey

There are 4 trains on the track and the glass floor is placed over the light effects in the dark section. You can see the light when the train goes round the track!  :moj
I love theme park they are my life. I would like to be a designer and want to start a collection of memorabilia from alton and thorpe
Nathan Clulow97

Has anyone got a picture of the glass floor
Phild94

SmileyMan wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
That made me laugh :D You have probably jinxed it as the last time someone said that, it stalled the next day :D
Hey, leave me out of this XD .... I made an educated assumption that the wind would effect this ride quite a lot and unfortunately I was right :/ I didn't mean to jinx it :(

On a smiler related note.... Not sure if anyone has seen the new Krave advert yet.... It's quite funny actually :D

Would try to find a link but am on my phone at the minute so will try and find it on my laptop :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
dazza4783

Phild94 wrote:
Hey, leave me out of this XD .... I made an educated assumption that the wind would effect this ride quite a lot and unfortunately I was right :/ I didn't mean to jinx it :(

On a smiler related note.... Not sure if anyone has seen the new Krave advert yet.... It's quite funny actually :D

Would try to find a link but am on my phone at the minute so will try and find it on my laptop :D
Krave Smiler advert.

Last edited by dazza4783 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeanGaryCox

went on it today, loved it... just before i left to go somewhere else, managed to watch 2 trains duel perfectly - wish i was on it then  :lol:
Image 2014
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Towers released a Youtube video of a montage of On-ride and off-ride footage HERE.
RCandrew

Martin

Hi All
Not heard anything about this for a while
But can you get on ride video yet on the smiler? :P
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
SmilingMonkey

Wilson10 wrote: Hi All
Yes, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
SmilingMonkey

AidanCKY wrote: Also fast-track wise, I bought mine at about 9:45 and my slot was 11:45 - 12:45. 

Mine was £7 (people on here said they were £10?)
The Smiler has been officially added to the Gold and Platinum Fastrack tickets: Alton Towers - Fastrack
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
Dan

SmilingMonkey wrote:
Wilson10 wrote: Hi All
Yes, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc
I think what he means is can you get an on-ride video of you on the ride ie a camera in the back of the seat in front of you.

I don't believe you can yet, has it even been confirmed that the seats have cameras in them? I know it was rumoured but I'm not sure if there's been any confirmation.
Martin

Yes thats exactly what i was asking
Can anyone confirm this yet or is it still speculation?
Last edited by Martin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!