The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

Sawboss wrote:I agree the projectors are unique and I think they should stay, I was just curious what else the park could conceivably do. The ride is now in it's 4th(?) year so much expense isn't likely anyway.
Oh yeah I know that haha, like I say I would just hope to see them come up with a long term solution for them. :)
Nickolai

When I first rode in 2013, the projection room was such a disturbing room to wait in, because of the projections and strobes. What makes them so great is due to the 3D patterns on the wall. The only compromise that they could do is have several screens at different angles in the same places (sorry that may be a bit confusing but it is the best way I can think of putting it)to produce a similar effect.
Formally Smiler313
Owen

See I thought this but then the whole idea of keeping the room dark may be put at risk as light will be sent outward as opposed to reflected off of the wall. Not to mention would they really spend that much to get custom made screen panels? :lol
Nickolai

Yeah I see what you mean. Reflecting it off a surface dos help make a room darker. :)
Formally Smiler313
Dom

I don't think i ever saw the projection mapping ever working in the room. I quite like the dingy dungeon feel it currently has.
Samual41

Does anyone know if the corrected theme will come back to The Smiler because after it was removed it has really had a bad effect on the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dan

Samual41 wrote:Does anyone know if the corrected theme will come back to The Smiler because after it was removed it has really had a bad effect on the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I highly doubt it.

I personally don't feel that the removal of the "Correction" element of the theme has had that big of an impact. The soundtrack and Marmaliser are still the same as they were before the incident so the only real differences are at the base of the vertical lift hill and in the indoor queue line.

I do think they could have jet washed the wall around the vertical lift as you can still see the outline of the lettering but that is my only criticism of the alterations that were made.
Liam.W

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Smiler, happy birthday to you...

:lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

As if its 4 years old already, where has the time gone.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Nickolai

It's 4 years old today but it rides like a 15 year old! So grown up! :lol
Formally Smiler313
Aidan Lowe

I wouldn't have it any other way. Its not that rough but having such a coaster as intricate as it is to be so smooth would just be plain boring.
Nickolai

I definitely agree. I do think it is a bit rough on the back but it is my favourite coaster at the end of the day.
Formally Smiler313
Sawboss

Remember, this election day vote Ministry of Joy! Mandatory happiness for all! A dour demeanor shall be surgically corrected! Smile Always!
Nickolai

We want KELMAN, We want KELMAN, We want KELMAN!
Formally Smiler313
Sawboss

Are there any new hoodie designs this year? They seemed to be clearing out stock last autumn.
Dan

Sawboss wrote:Are there any new hoodie designs this year? They seemed to be clearing out stock last autumn.
There's one new hoodie and a couple of new t-shirts but for the most part the merch is the same as last year
Nickolai

Does anyone have any clue with whats been going with the 2nd Screen on Lift 2? If it was something simple they would have got it back by now...
Formally Smiler313
Justin

It was up but not operating last year, around August time, but it was removed around Scarefest time I believe. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it. To be honest, with The Smiler being my favourite ride, I am a little disappointed that the ride exterior is looking scruffy! It is appalling to be honest. It needs a lot of work!
Nickolai

They also replaced the speakers on lift 2 at the start of this season from the Bose 402 series 3 or 4 (I'm not too sure) to some older 402 series 1 speakers. However from more recent POVs they have either swapped them out again with last seasons newer 402 speakers, which one of them had the protective mesh taken off of it and put the one without mesh one the left. Or, this season they replaced them with new 402s and the left speaker has had to have the mesh taken off for some reason. I would rather them replace the other TV but even whilst it isn't in action they could have put the left TV in the centre to sort the slight OCD in people like me! :lol
Formally Smiler313
Aidan Lowe

It seems someone went running to the press regarding an evac today.
At 10.15am today, an assisted exit took place in the station when a guest, at the end of their ride, held their harness down during the routine harness release, triggering our sensors.

The ride then needed to be reset as required by our operating processes and is now re-open.

– ALTON TOWERS RESORT SPOKESPERSON
And Alton Towers posted a video online from Operations Director regarding what happened and why as stated in the above quote. Glad Alton Towers are now having a no-nonsense viewpoint regarding what media report.