The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SwEDEN

I feel worried for my well being after watching that video due to the amount of effects which occur in the long corridor from the rainbow stairs to the shop.....

Bearing in mind this is after the coaster and knowing me, i'll probably smash into every possible surface whilst trying to regain some knowledge of where I am and what I have just been threw.
:lol: 
Welsh_Tenor

edwardh wrote:
Do you think it's an major issue which will keep the ride closed?
I don't know enough about their maintenance to comment further I'm afraid. Someone else said that they had closures in the day and were swapping cars, the problem at the end of the day seemed to be the actual chain lift on the second rise so I guess it depends whether they can fix now/this evening - given the problems I'm sure they're on it already!
Roller coasters = the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

krug wrote: Just found this on youtube

Its a great vid of on and off ride shots.  But it also shows a rollback at the end of the video.
Its strange though.  The vid says it is 9 mins 58 secs long but it goes on longer after the slider has gone to the end, so watch it right until the end, (which is where the roll back is)

Well i thought it was interesting anyway.
And there we have proof that the fins were there for evacuation purposes, to allow the train to descend the lift hill, not for a backwards drop. I mean the fact there hasn't been a drop yet is more than enough proof, but still...

I declare The Argument of Fins over!
Owen

Krave Facebook...again
its time to get corrected! We're teaming up with the mind-bending new roller coaster The Smiler at Alton Towers Resort this summer.
Not sure which one this chocolate thinks is worse...
Last edited by Owen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

edwardh wrote:
Welsh_Tenor wrote: Engineers were up on the cherry picker looking at the lift but no luck!
Do you think it's an major issue which will keep the ride closed?
I hope not, planning a visit on Thursday specifically to ride The Smiler.

Hopefully they can fix whatever the issue is and get it back running tomorrow
RCandrew

That flasher is the same thing at the very start of the ride yeah? If so this wins!
tp

Welsh_Tenor wrote: They've just closed the queue line to lots of angry people as the ride has "technical issues". There are people stuck just before the vertical lift that need evacuating and by time they do that and fix the problem they've taken the decision to close...

Makes sense but there's some very angry people here! I rode it this morning (it was epic!) so I'm ok haha!

Engineers were up on the cherry picker looking at the lift but no luck!
People were being absolutely ridiculous about the closure! It was described as "horrific" and "disgusting"! It seems some people can't understand that machines break down.

Towers were great: all tickets were revalidated, we got priority passes for another day as we made it into the station and they re-opened Oblivion so we could get some rides on that to make up for the loss of The Smiler. We weren't allowed to simply go round and round, but there were so few people on Oblivion that if we stepped outside the exit gate for the cars to cycle, we could get back on and have another go, we didn't even have to walk round! Ace!
Jammydodger

I remember the same happening to The Swarm soon after opening, lots of work around the lift chain which they fixed within a day if I remember correctly. Presumably its a normal occurrence for new rides?
fishdalf

Going tomorrow, if it's closed again on my second attempt I think I'm gonna cry.
Everton-99

tp wrote:
Welsh_Tenor wrote: They've just closed the queue line to lots of angry people as the ride has "technical issues". There are people stuck just before the vertical lift that need evacuating and by time they do that and fix the problem they've taken the decision to close...

Makes sense but there's some very angry people here! I rode it this morning (it was epic!) so I'm ok haha!

People were being absolutely ridiculous about the closure! It was described as "horrific" and "disgusting"! It seems some people can't understand that machines break down.

Towers were great: all tickets were revalidated, we got priority passes for another day as we made it into the station and they re-opened Oblivion so we could get some rides on that to make up for the loss of The Smiler. We weren't allowed to simply go round and round, but there were so few people on Oblivion that if we stepped outside the exit gate for the cars to cycle, we could get back on and have another go, we didn't even have to walk round! Ace!
Can you confirm if everyones tickets have been revalidated as i was told to ring customer services tomorrow to ask them as the staff on the ground couldnt do anything ??
tp

I assumed they were all revalidated as ours were by staff in Smiler uniform. As the queue emptied, groups gathered around member of staff, who dealt with the tickets. The lady simply wrote a note and the date on the ticket, which I assumed was all that need to be done?
Starry14

Im a keen watcher of this forum but dont often post, although feel a post today is appropriate! Towers was extremely busy today,,more so than I have ever seen. Waited until the end of the day to ride the smiler and decided to risk the 2 hour 45 min queue time. After an hour or so of queuing,  we were treated to some in queue 'entertainment' in the form of an actor wearing full smiler uniform dancing madly to the music and makng people jump! A nice touch after a wait. We then got told the ride was experiencing difficulties and finally,  that it had closed. Everyone was directed to customer services if they had complaints. We were shocked to find such a queue there,  but realised ticketswere being revalidated. I felt AT dealt wih this very smoothly, and was taken aback to find people stating that they still wanted to log further complaints! Of course, im disappointed not to have ridden the smiler, but glad we get the opportunity to try again!
Starry14

Can you confirm if everyones tickets have been revalidated as i was told to ring customer services tomorrow to ask them as the staff on the ground couldnt do anything ??
Ours were revalidated by customer service staff roaming towers street for people who had queued and failed to get on. They signed and dated them.
iriderides101

Everton-99 wrote:
tp wrote:

Mine was re-validated, I stayed after 5.30 and quid from 4 didn't get on :(

I tell you what the smiler needs sun shades, and when you've been in the que that ride music really f£&;s you up! I can still hear it

It does look amazing however
Jack

I just laughed at the people on the ride just before the V-lift :lol:
fishdalf

I get these breakdowns happen with every ride, but what do you think the probability of it being open tomorrow are? And if so, what time? Has Saw ever had a similar breakdown and was it fixed overnight?
iriderides101

fishdalf wrote: I get these breakdowns happen with every ride, but what do you think the probability of it being open tomorrow are? And if so, what time? Has Saw ever had a similar breakdown and was it fixed overnight?
I believe at its opening day the v lift was causing problems
Welsh_Tenor

iriderides101 wrote:
Mine was re-validated, I stayed after 5.30 and quid from 4 didn't get on :(

I tell you what the smiler needs sun shades, and when you've been in the que that ride music really f£&;s you up! I can still hear it

It does look amazing however
Mine too, validated by staff on Towers Street. My pinky head is further proof of the sun trap that is The Smiler queue! People be warned... Wear a hat!
Roller coasters = the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
iriderides101

Already emailed them! I'm so burnt it hurts, the quelines was torture with heat, ride broken and the smiler music, which is go awful when you've listens to it for 2 hours. One thing I will say the staff were great, it's not their fault and many people were unhappy , but free re- entry was great
fishdalf

iriderides101 wrote:
fishdalf wrote: I get these breakdowns happen with every ride, but what do you think the probability of it being open tomorrow are? And if so, what time? Has Saw ever had a similar breakdown and was it fixed overnight?
I believe at its opening day the v lift was causing problems
Ah and that happened earlier on? Guess it's not a game-changer then as it was running the rest of the day. That makes me feel a little more secure in riding the thing ha.