The inversions rant I've been saving up for ages.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
A

Been saving up this rant for a while now so here goes...

With the smiler set to open shortly I can't tell you how pleased I am to see that alton has finally got back on track with a damn good thrill ride. Seriously, we've been waiting 11 years for another decent rollercoaster at alton towers and what have we had in between that time? Spinball (ok it's a family ride), Rita and thirteen, none of which will ever be a true thrill ride.

But just imagine how much more thrilling, e.g Rita would have been if they had replaced a couple of those airtime hills with a couple of zero g rolls, because let's be honest, you don't get that much air out of a puny hill like that. If I was to count, I would guess you probably don't get more that 6 or 7 seconds of air.

This is my point, alton towers just CANNOT pull of the airtime trick due to the fact that they can't build above the tree line. Plus the fact that there is no way they will EVER be able to pay for a hyper coaster because they would have to fork out way too much to dig it into the ground. Look at oblivion, 10 million in 1998 and most of that was spent on digging just 1 whopping great hole. Which brings me too my point that they need to make use of inversions far more often than they do - because what else can you replace the thrill of airtime with. Pure fear has already been done on oblivion (which by the way looks a bit lame next to the smiler) and you can't exactly dangle riders over a deep hole twice whereas you can repeat inversions multiple times. I'm not in any way saying that every new ride needs to be like the smiler, but as I said before, Rita would be a damn side more interesting if one or two of those airtime hills was replaced with zero g rolls. Just think of future secret weapons that could be saved from the embarrassment of thirteen with even just one inversion.

And let's be honest, inversions will always, always draw a crowd. Even the corkscrew was still quite popular before it's closure, and what would it have been like without it's carachteristic corkscrews?

:evil: Rant over and I bet pretty much everyone will be against what I'm saying so I'll just leave you with the thoughts of thirteen and Rita.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Owen

Well I agree RITA side but TH13TEEN is not a embarrassment in any sense of the word! IMO it's one of the greats plus its the only ride I've ever been on I can not hold my hands up for,lol.  :D
haydn!

See I disagree. Rita is purely about speed and it doesn't need inversions. Plus, considering the ride lasts what, 30 seconds tops? 6-7 seconds of air time ain't that bad! Rita's only downfall is it's location, but that impacts the area it's in more than it does the actual ride.

There is the potential for something like a Hyper, if built cleverly. For example, a cross valley coaster gives the scope for drops  and climbs that would be comparable to rides like the Big One!
Sam198

Having ridden Rita's slightly re-profiled clone at Heide Park, Desert Race, I can honestly say that the layout has the potential to be a *decent* ride! But for whatever reason, Rita falls short of the mark - way short.

*It's still not a world beater, but hey...

clayj

I can see the point your trying to make, but can't see AT making changes to the rides now. Plus, if they put inversions on th13teen they would have to increase the minimum height which makes it another ride not for the under 1.4m :(
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
A

clayj wrote: I can see the point your trying to make, but can't see AT making changes to the rides now. Plus, if they put inversions on th13teen they would have to increase the minimum height which makes it another ride not for the under 1.4m :(
Then that raises the question as to why it was marketed as a thrill ride

[quote author=haydn! link=topic=36077.msg733698#msg733698 date=1368565362
See I disagree. Rita is purely about speed and it doesn't need inversions. Plus, considering the ride lasts what, 30 seconds tops? 6-7 seconds of air time ain't that bad! Rita's only downfall is it's location, but that impacts the area it's in more than it does the actual ride.

There is the potential for something like a Hyper, if built cleverly. For example, a cross valley coaster gives the scope for drops
[/quote]

And that's where I disagree.... the big one is a bit overrated - I'm more into g's and interesting layouts as well as a little bit of air if it can be done properly, which I don't think it can at alton because let's face it, they aren't going to pay for a big hole and it is unlikely they will get planning permission to cut down so many trees in the valley

Edit: whoa I really messed up this post,sorry if it causes confusion with all the quotes etc. but my point still stands :)
Last edited by A on Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattallennet

Thirteen and Sonic are good for what they are. Thirteen is our favourite family ride. Nemesis would still be pretty good without inversions (but the loop is so cool). Rita would have worked well with corkscrews but we need to consider that we had corkscrew next to it at the time. It was pretty thrilling and scary for its time (8 years ago?). I don't personally like it because it makes me feel light headed, can anyone suggest why?

I'm past overly caring about inversion *count* - the ride needs to be thrilling and scary first!
Last edited by mattallennet on Wed May 15, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Not all coasters need inversions at a theme park. Whilst enthusiast love a good inversion or six, a good percentage of the general public don't. They'll happily go on Rita and thirteen, but won't go near nemesis. The psychological impact of inversions do put people off, so the park has to cater for a broad range of paying guests. And this includes having a coasters without an inversion.

I personally enjoy Rita for what it is, a speed sensation. An Inversion would both ruin the ride and feel somewhat pointless in the limited time you're actually on the ride.
Heisenberg96

I don't think Rita is in dying need of inversions but I see your point. However, TH13TEEN is a family-orientated ride and is designed, with a smaller height limit, so that children can ride. With a generalised market like that, it's unfair to say it needs more inversions because then you take away the family element...though I think maybe AT were to blame on that one because the TH13TEEN adverts certainly made it out to look like a more adult ride.
A wrote: Seriously, we've been waiting 11 years for another decent rollercoaster at alton towers and what have we had in between that time?
I'd say what we've been waiting for is time for Alton Towers to build themselves a family based theme park. Spinball...Thirteen...Duel...the list goes on. And I can't blame AT for it because they've certainly made it a theme park. I guess I just prefer theme parks where you can do a range of things beside roller coasters, like the Towers themeselves or Hex - prime examples of how Alton Towers have made it the great theme park it is today.
A

I'm sorry but I still disagree, the fact that we had to wait 11 years for another decent coaster means families are being over catered for - thirteen should have been an extreme machine for older members of the public :(
Lee

A wrote: I'm sorry but I still disagree, the fact that we had to wait 11 years for another decent coaster means families are being over catered for - thirteen should have been an extreme machine for older members of the public :(
It depends on what you define as a 'decent coaster' though. If you're basing that soley on inversions, then then yes it's been 11 years, however personally I don't really rate Air that highly. I think it's really misguided to rate a rollercoaster based on it's inversions. Marketing aside, Thirteen is a rather good coaster and still thrills and suprises its riders today. Surley that makes it a decent coaster because it achieves what it has set out to do.
AJLlama

I agree with most of the above, inversions don't make a good coaster, a combination of speed, air time and decent theming do. Don't get me wrong, i love coasters that invert, but not any more than others. e.g.'s include: the Mummy returns at Universal studios, expedition Everest at disney and stealth. I don't even mind Rita, sure it looks out of place but it's many peoples favorite.
RubyGaga

Towers should just buy out the surrounding land, including the Ropers, and in the long term they can build whatever they like.

-- Thats probably a stupid statement, but hey, one can dream

Image ImageImageImage
Joshysqaushy

RubyGaga wrote: Towers should just buy out the surrounding land, including the Ropers, and in the long term they can build whatever they like.

Then the towers can encase the ropers + their house in some-kind of glass dome and make it out as a zoo attraction  :lol:
Last edited by Joshysqaushy on Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
RubyGaga

Joshysqaushy wrote:
RubyGaga wrote: Towers should just buy out the surrounding land, including the Ropers, and in the long term they can build whatever they like.

Then the towers can encase the ropers + their house in some-kind of glass dome and make it out as a zoo attraction  :lol:
Scrap the glass dome, make it metal bars so I can poke them with a speaker on the end of a stick that blasts out 'DONT LOOK DOWN'

Image ImageImageImage
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

RubyGaga wrote:
Joshysqaushy wrote:

Scrap the glass dome, make it metal bars so I can poke them with a speaker on the end of a stick that blasts out 'DONT LOOK DOWN'
Hahah that's brilliant! :D can you imagen if they ever read the forum?! We should just build create a scare maze through out there house and it tells the story of two evil trolls who can "apparently" her a couple of small speakers which are at least 5 minutes if not move away from there house, and how the trolls have the inability to move and much complain to survive ;) too much?  ;)  :roll:  ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Gronkmaster

I disagree, Th13teen is a Thrill Ride. it plays on peoples natural fear of falling. This is a basic human emotion that the fide plays on with the free fall section.

TH13teen is the best.......End
A

Gronkmaster wrote: I disagree, Th13teen is a Thrill Ride. it plays on peoples natural fear of falling. This is a basic human emotion that the fide plays on with the free fall section.

TH13teen is the best.......End
Since when could people 1.2 meters high get on a 'proper' thrill ride? Th13 teen is NOT the best. Why? B&m's........ End
Alex.D

NonononononononoNO! Oblivion plays with peoples natural fear of falling. And its B&M..... END OF. Also The Smiler is delayed because every night Nemesis goes over, messes it up as The smiler is defenceless as it is incomplete. As Nemesis wants to be the only coaster on park that has loops/inversions. No air doesn't invert. That is impossible. It turns over, not inverting. Like when you roll down a hill. You don't go upside down.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97