The Smiler Opening Meet - 23rd May 2013 – Discussion

Archive for past events.
Chris-TT

Here you can discuss all aspects about the meet, including travel arrangements, and evening plans. Please see this topic if you plan to attend.  :)

information update...
-----

Only a few days to go until the meet, it's still not too late, we really hope you join us.

Here are a few more details for you:

Arrival:

Its opening day and we want to make sure you are one of the first to experience ‘The Smiler', for those of you who have access to ERT we will be meeting at:
  • 8:30 - 8:45am under the Corkscrews in the entrance plaza.
We will enter the park as soon as the gates are open, so if you are late or can’t make that time you will need to call or message a team member to find out exactly where we are, and catch up with the group. Please see the contact information below.

For later arrivals, and those without access to ERT, there will then be an additional meeting time of:
  • 11.00 - 11:15am, outside ‘The Fried Chicken Co.’ (in X-Sector).
As above, if you miss the time slot, then call or message a contact to find out exactly where we are.

The Plan:

Firstly we will head over to X-Sector for some ride take-overs, starting with ‘The Smiler’!

Everyone will then have the opportunity to split into smaller groups for lunch, and have some free time to ride whatever you fancy. If you don’t want to split from the main group you certainly don’t have to. Don’t worry about feeling isolated absolutely no-one will be left out, or forgotten about!

We will then re-group at 3.45 – 4:00pm in Forbidden Valley by ‘Refresh@Ripsaw’.  Everyone can grab a drink or snack from here while we wait for others so it doesn’t matter if you’re early. We will then do some ride takeovers around the Forbidden Valley area until the end of the day, ride close is currently 5:30pm.

After the park closes we are planning to have a few drinks and an evening meal in ether in the Alton Towers Hotel, or a local pub. If you are interested, just let us know on the day. Everyone is welcome to join in, but please be aware, there will be a decidedly more "adult" humor and alcoholic theme to the evening, and so may not be suitable for younger members.

Points of Contact:

Chris-TT
Adz
Ben-TT
Feel free to add us to Facebook, if you would prefer to email us you can, however it might be a slower response:
We’re very much looking forward to meeting you all, and all the fantastical fun we're going to have! Remember, we are committed to making sure everyone has the best day possible, and no-one is left to feel excluded, or unwelcome.

See you all soon
The TowersTimes Team

UPDATE

Although The Smiler is unlikely now to be be open tomorrow, the meet will still be going ahead.

We will be meeting on park at 11am outside The Fried Chicken Company in X-Sector.

We look forward to seeing you there

TowersTimes Team
Last edited by Chris-TT on Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Will there be anything happening on the Thursday evening?
Chris-TT

It would be great to eat at one of the hotels afterwards, alternatively we could arrange a meal at a local pub restaurant. Who is interested in a meal at about 7pm on the Thursday?

Some of us are staying at a Cottage in Ashbourne which is about 4 miles away as it works out much cheaper, if anyone needs help with finding accommodation please say so in this topic
Last edited by Chris-TT on Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

I may be up for food, depending on budget allowing a stay over.

Another quick question, what time are we intending to arrive on park/near the plaza? Never been to an opening before you see  :oops:
Rob
Admin
Admin

Details will be announced in due course.
Mono09

what time are people arriving at the park? I mean there are going to be some early birds at the gates etc.
Roodlesnouter

Im well up for getting an early start.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob
Admin
Admin

Yep planning on an early start too.
Roodlesnouter

Rob-TT wrote: Yep planning on an early start too.
From what I hear on park they are planning to "walk guests down" rather than having a free for all sprint to the line, with this in mind it well may be worth queing early at the front gate to be one of the first riders on the day.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lexie

I'm up for a meal on the Thursday night.  :D
I also have a cunning plan (and more than a little help) which means I'm up for getting an early start on the day.
pritchardavid

Wish I could go, wouldn't be able to get the time off, I work in a school, so all our holidays are the half term. Eariest I can get down is for Saturday. But looks like most people are gone then, I would be coming up by myself by the looks of it.  :(
Cookie Monster

I'm going satarday if you want to meet up?
lindsay.j.chant

pritchardavid wrote: Wish I could go, wouldn't be able to get the time off, I work in a school, so all our holidays are the half term. Eariest I can get down is for Saturday. But looks like most people are gone then, I would be coming up by myself by the looks of it.  :(
I won't be heading home until Saturday. Since AT is on the way back up the M6 from where we're stopping, I'm up for meeting up on that day too.
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.
chris.pritchard.520

I know there's no ERT for the smiler but I have a pass and plan to be at the smiler entrance ready for when the park opens  :D... any official place/time when were meeting?
pritchardavid

Sounds good for meeting up, quite surprising for me to be honest, I'm very shy lol.

Anyone doing Sunday?

Ideally want to go to go for two days, maybe three if anyone is still here Monday (doubt it lol)

Where are people saying? Or do you lucky sods live close down here :)

Any suggestion's? a lot of places seem to be booked already. I know you have Travel Lodge, Premier Inn, just wondering if there is any closer to the Tower's?
lindsay.j.chant

I'm staying at the hotel I used for Crufts in Meriden - Best Western Plus Manor NEC Birmingham. Bit of a way from AT, but the prices are good, rooms big and the food is nice.
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.
Dan

Like ive put in the official meet topic, I will be on park for the Thursday and Friday but not actively a part of the meet as I'm visiting with my girlfriend. She however is a wuss when it comes to rides so I will be riding the big ones alone, so I'm bound to see some of you over the two days.

I have posted a pic in the TTF Mugshots thread so I should be easily recognisable as I'll more than likely be wearing my purple Derby County away shirt, if anyone sees me then say hey!
Lexie

I'll still be there on Sunday and am incredibly easy to spot! Do come say hi, anyone who is about.
Zach

Never been to a meet up so not sure what to expect :/ I'm going on this day and planned on being there really early and want to be first on this bad boy roller coaster so will be sprinting straight to the ride...jw what time and where and what happens ? And could I still join ? Plus Ill be the guy with the smiler painted face come say hey if u see me :)
chris.pritchard.520

I'm going to be camping on Rue Hill because it's £5 a night and im broke as hell lols. This will be my first meet and first time to AT... so double cherry lols... really excited about meeting everyone :D