To Spoil or not to Spoil. That is the question.

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Hello TowersTimes,

Shortly Alton Towers Resort will have a grand unveiling of the ride via the media. This will reveal any secrets the ride may have left so it's time to think a little about the direction of the discussion within this forum.

Many of you have requested a 'spoilers' topic. However before putting this in place and potentially disrupting discussion we wanted to ask you, our valued members, if you have any better ideas for how to handle the upcoming news releases. We want to give people the ability to remain surprised by the ride come opening day yet not disrupt the flow of discussion.

Please post any suggestions within this topic. Thanks.
N3m3s1s

I think that this would be a great idea! Also...how soon?  ;)
XXBENNXX

if people want to know then let them know, but as you so rightly stated, via a topic with a spoiler warning, add a policy such as no linking or discussing outside said topic. personally i couldn't give a damn, however people are on the fence so to speak, so give them the choice either way. just my opinion.
undeadarmy

Spoilers topic, i'm all up for. Stops complaints for people who don't want to get the ride 'ruined' and its' all good for the people who want to know the secrets.

Also, how soon is the media event being put out?
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Yeah this is great thanks!! Keeps the suspense going... But I properly won't be able to stop myself from looking haha I never got why they tell us about the SE in the media, whats the point in keeps it a secret when they will reveal it before it even opens in the first place haha oh well :D but anyway I believe a topic like this is for the best :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
arsenalfan-1

I like the idea of a spoiler free topic where it says not to post spoilers (of course this would have to be monitored for a while) and then a spoiler topic.
Thanks Lewis97
JonoD

Basically, I think anything that we haven't seen or at least cant see from the area's available to the public now (views from the queueline, content in the Smiler app, inside the station, any extra effects inside that we don't know about) should be classed as spoiler material, and kept entirely to its own topic if at all possible. A possible way of going around this would be to create 'spoiler versions' of topics that we currently have. So for example:

"The Smiler Construction: Spoiler topic" and a "The Smiler Construction: Non-Spoiler topic"

The same could easily be applied to marketing too (with things such as press reports and the like detailing what's inside). Adverts and viral marketing I'd class as non-spoiler as whilst they may hint at what may be going on in certain places, I doubt it would outright show us.

My 2 pence!
lindsay.j.chant

I remember on one of the Jean Michel Jarre forums (can't remember which one, have a feeling it's one of the defunct ones), they had a policy where, if we were talking about concerts early in a tour and giving things away, like the set list at the top of the post you would put "SPOILER ALERT" in bold red capital letters and the text revealing the "spoiler" would be typed in the same colour as the background. Maybe something similar could be implemented on here?
I know a JMJ concert isn't exactly like the opening of a World beating coaster, but to hear some of his fans moan you would think their world had ended if they know the set list before the concert ;) :roll:
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.
N3m3s1s

If you do create the two topics, I suggest that you rename the current construction topic as non-spoiler, and then create a new topic for spoiler?
youarecorrectsir

I think two separate topics is the best idea. Then people who don't want to know wont be tempted to peak/accidentally look inside spoiler brackets. Plus there will be the odd few who just won't adhere to the rules and spoil it anyway! Sorry if that's mean and presumptuous but it DOES happen!

Plus, it will be so fun for the ones who know what's going on to continue reading the discussion of those who don't know what's going on...  :twisted:
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Oblivion115

I think two seprate topics is the best idea, when will this reveal happen?

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
A

Two seperate topics would be a good idea, that means that the very few who don't want to see spoilers don't have to :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Andzdrew

I just have to say that if people don't want to know any secret info about the ride then the easiest thing would be not read these forums looking for info...

The sole reason for me reading these forums is because I actually want to find out, if I didn't, I wouldn't be here reading.
dylan.tempelaars

so can you confirm there is a news segment tonight?
some people call me insane, you are right!
Kirsty25

I can see both sides of the argument.

And I naturally wouldn't want to say to people don't read the forum for risk of spoilers so I think 2 topics is probably the best solution. Then comes the question... what becomes a spoiler, anything that we don't already know as of today? And how would we deal with the Marketing...

The only problem I can see is other topics will go quiet if everyone is then discussing the secrets...

@dylan - There are apparently news crews on the park, so it is natural to assume so but we won't know until the news is on.
undeadarmy

Kirsty25 wrote: I can see both sides of the argument.

And I naturally wouldn't want to say to people don't read the forum for risk of spoilers so I think 2 topics is probably the best solution. Then comes the question... what becomes a spoiler, anything that we don't already know as of today? And how would we deal with the Marketing...

The only problem I can see is other topics will go quiet if everyone is then discussing the secrets...

@dylan - There are apparently news crews on the park, so it is natural to assume so but we won't know until the news is on.
This sounds dumb but what news channel would it be and at what time? :D
dylan.tempelaars

undeadarmy wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: I can see both sides of the argument.

This sounds dumb but what news channel would it be and at what time? :D
probably itv news and a bit later about 8ish :D
some people call me insane, you are right!
Adz
Admin
Admin

Re: News.

We don't know. It may not necessarily be tonight. They could be filming shots for future use. You are welcome to continue that discussion within the marketing topic:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... marketing/
youarecorrectsir

In my opinion anything that is public knowledge should be allowed in the non spoilers section. And by public I mean advertisements. Stuff the general public will know before they ride. If there are news stories that give the 'trick' away as it were, then that should be a spoiler.

If people don't want to know SO badly that they ignore TV ads then they shouldn't be on this site xD Make sense?
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Alex

Could you not use the mod for spoiler tags so people actually have to click the button to reveal the spoiler in the post