The Smiler - Marketing

Smile always. New for 2013.
Themeparksandy1981

iriderides101 wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: What I hate about this is they still plugging the Smiler during prime time tv. Not sure if every region sees the ad but as the park don't  have no clue when the ride gonna open. The normal GP don't know that the ride not open after watching that ad as they not fans of theme park websites. It's false advertising and Thorpe Park got done for it when they advertised Vortex new for 2001 and it wasn't even on site yet.
Do you have any idea how expensive media bookings are?? If they cancel the booking you are looking a lot of wasted funds....much rather they advertised the ride than waste money. It isn't false advertising as they have not depicted a date which the ride is open. The ride still exists which isn't open yet...you see brands pre advertise products months before they are on sale pretty much the same concept. Don't forgot the majority of viewers are not gonna jump into their cars and go to alton towers the next day, most visitors will plan a date a view weeks in advance in which hopefully the ride will be open. If not then Alton Towers will have a problem for 'false advertising'
If you watch the ads for 13&Sub terra at the end of the videos they also say book now like the Smiler ad does.
DaveBear

brick60000 wrote:
arsenalfan-1 wrote: Tbh, I doubt it. We've seen the POV and there is nowhere where another 2 inversions can go. :-k
Fair point, though one can always hope  :D
I would say that the only things that would be different to what we have seen in the POV (as track is complete) is that the Indoor section was not finished... (it may look more like the Tunnel in the TV Advert) and apart from that any extra surprises would be in the form of maybe the Full Marmaliser Experience once its all up and running (I think we will see 4D Elements even if supple)

And anything else has to be to do with the Que and especially when it gets to the Indoor section.

So the only tricks.... if any would not be to do with the Track Itself.
bealyboy

arsenalfan-1 wrote: Tbh, I doubt it. We've seen the POV and there is nowhere where another 2 inversions can go. :-k
Unless just before u go back  into the station there is a secret freefall drop to another level where there is a washing machine, then there is a special section of track that lifts the train back up just before you go back into the main building so no one sees anything....
Now there is you're secret element and worlds first.....
SMILE.ALWAYS
Owen

bealyboy wrote:
Unless just before u go back  into the station there is a secret freefall drop to another level where there is a washing machine, then there is a special section of track that lifts the train back up just before you go back into the main building so no one sees anything....
I though they had a free fall drop coaster with a number as its name,themed around a crypt and a dark forest...
Oh well that might just be me!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thrillmad wrote:
bealyboy wrote:
I though they had a free fall drop coaster with a number as its name,themed around a crypt and a dark forest...
I don't think he intended that as a serious idea...

EDIT: To save second posting, here's a quote from AT's twitter, which basically explains why the 'Wheel Of Win' was removed...
@altontowers What happened to the "Wheel of win"? It said in the rules that the comp was running until Sept but it is no longer on the app??

@DanMc_SUFC Hi Dan, It was removed from the App earlier than planned due to players feedback. We hope you continue to enjoy the game! Smile.
Oh, and I also noticed they end their tweet with only 'Smile', so much for the 'Always'!
Last edited by lewis97 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen

lewis97 wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
bealyboy wrote: Unless just before u go back  into the station there is a secret freefall drop to another level where there is a washing machine, then there is a special section of track that lifts the train back up just before you go back into the main building so no one sees anything....
I don't think he intended that as a serious idea...
Sarcasm  ;)

Posted by Krave Facebook...
Hint to opening soon?
Last edited by Owen on Wed May 29, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Lowe

Tomorrow on the breakfast show of JuiceFM they are offering tickets to experience The Smiler.

I know it isn't open but may be worth a look,

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Nathan Clulow97

I apologise if this has come up but the smiler game is now in the top 20 Apps on the Apple app store I think that is a massive achievement for Alton towers to get there
aress

I have a question - the two lead actors in The Smiler TV advert, can anybody name them?
MatthewR1990

aress wrote: I have a question - the two lead actors in The Smiler TV advert, can anybody name them?
Smiling advocate number's 101 and 231 ^_^
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Aidan Lowe

I follow twitter feeds for anything to do with AT and it's rides and it's kinda stupid how many women are completely freaked out by the ad. I think AT made a wise choice not to take it darker given the actual ride's theme.

On a separate note, how long do we think until Smiler contacts will become available?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TheBoyWithOneEye

TheBoyWithOneEye wrote: Maybe it might appear on watchdog ;)
Looks like i was right :P acorring to facebook
gabbygrace

not just women who are freaked out by the add.  :roll:
J_Baggie

There was an Advert during BGT right?
Last edited by J_Baggie on Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Brom til I die!
arsenalfan-1

J_Baggie wrote: There was an Advert during BGT right?
Yep
Thanks Lewis97
LCFCjames

Some people seem very happy that The Smiler is open... 8)
MatthewR1990

LCFCjames wrote: Some people seem very happy that The Smiler is open... 8)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
cubwolf

The TV adverts certainly done its job with my grandchildren aged 6 and 7.

They freaked out when I told them I was going to ride it. " it will send your eyes funny grandad"  :shock:

As soon as they saw the ride on my you tube app they shouted THE SMILER.
Theme Park Mania

Alton Towers featured on ITV News today regarding The Smiler and there is a brilliant bit of footage of the time lapse.
merm

Can't believe they had Gerry Cannell on-park today and had him stood opening a gate in normal staff uniform. what a treat it would have been for him to have been roaming the queue line as Dr Kelman especially with the big queues today, him and a few nurses would have gone down a treat I think.
Let our dreams become your nightmares