The Smiler - Marketing

Smile always. New for 2013.
haydn!

Heisenberg96 wrote: Yeah I should have probably phrased my post differently, I wasn't clear - marketing is good, *advertising is poor
They're all two and the same. The marketing, and the resulting advertising has been pretty damn good, and on point. Especially compared to the likes of Thirteen's advertising which may have been in your face, but the end product was underwhelming due to massive overhype.

Alton Towers are playing it differently this time around, they're pulling on social media more so than traditional media, and it appear to be working. Like someone posted earlier, the hotel is fully booked for opening weekend, there's also been a noticeable drop in attendance for the start of the season as people hold off their visits until The Smiler is open. It's already appeared everywhere from cereal packets to YouTube from the train station barriers to Daybreak.

Also, according to Google trends (if I'm reading the information right), the volume of people searching for 'The Smiler Alton Towers' has increased 3,300% since December 2012.

Television advertising is expensive and right now, it's not needed. The interest is already there!
Last edited by haydn! on Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg96

Hm, I see where you're coming from but I'd have to disagree. The current advert on YouTube doesn't show us anything at all and is simply just bits of track - alright I don't want it to tell me the SE, but I'd like at least a bit of a clue. Personally, I think TH13TEEN was a great ad campaign, it's main issue was that its family appeal didn't make it anywhere near as frightening as it looked on the advert.

I see what you mean by AT doing the exact opposite, but take an average customer as an example: many don't use TTF or Towers Street or regularly use the Smiler website. In fact, many people depend on adverts on TV and YouTube to keep up their interest. We arent going to see any more one off promotional stunts like the sheep. And if all you've watched is that shoddy advert on YouTube...well it doesn't give a great first impression.

The buzz around construction is over now, so we all need something to keep is talking until opening day. Right now we don't have much - if fins come up one more time I think I'll lose it, and we're all just waiting for the advert. But we haven't had one...surely it would be more profitable and more interesting for us TTF members if they released this advert this weekend?

How I see it is Thirteen should have taught AT not to overhype rides, not to teach them to cut nearly advertising all together. I prefer little teasers that keep me going right up until release, because right now we're sort of in a void between speculation and release. Now is the time for an advert...
haydn!

Alton Towers haven't cut advertising. They're simply trying new things. In fact, I think we're seeing more advertising for The Smiler than we have done for any other UK coaster. It's just being distributed and targeted very differently.

Right now, only the fanboys don't have much to talk about but they represent 0.001% of the parks annual gate count. General joe public don't give too hoots about how many footers were set yesterday or how long the builders spent tinkering with a grinder.

Forgive me, but I'm not naive enough to think the public waste their lives in places like this, like we do, but they do not rely on only television adverts either. Yes television gives big exposure, but it doesn't have to be 60 seconds between a few pathetic acts on Britain's Got No Talent, which will cost hundreds of thousands when you can get ten times more on local news  and morning television for practically nothing in comparison. There are also many other media channels, which are often more successful than television. Newspapers, magazines, product placement, and Alton Towers have utilised all of these to promote The Smiler.

The general public know it's coming, they know it goes upside down, they know it's called The Smiler. It may not be enough to fuel another 300+ pages of forum speculation, but it's enough to keep them interested enough to get them through the gates. And that's what really matters.
Last edited by haydn! on Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg96

It may be so, but when pricing at AT has become so high now (£35 I think) your average Joe is going to simply say 'no way am I paying this sort of money just to see one new ride'. I know there are endless things to do at Alton but if people weren't interested in going before the Smiler and see the prices they'll be put right off again.

That's where advertising plays its role. Ok so promotional costs will become high, but if you make a good advert on tele it can be the difference between going on opening day and not going for months. If you show the value of that £35, then average Joe will go. Plus, maximising custom means higher repeat custom throughout the year. Plus, advertising can not only help build the brand image but can maximises prices on merchandise.

If you ask me, adverts on TV and newspapers make it more convincing to get a ticket than a couple of construction pictures and some sheep. With rising prices causing Alton being desolate this year in comparison to recent years, I can only see the benefits of this.
haydn!

Take it you missed the whole, uber massive 'free tickets' campaign a few months ago? Featuring none other than The Smiler?  :roll:

I'm not saying a television advert isn't important, or needed. It will be, and it will serve a purpose. But it's not needed right now when there is already a good level of hype amongst the general public. First rule of marketing, don't pay for advertising when you can get it for free.

Let's face it, the only reason you, and others want Alton Towers to publish a TV advert is so hours can be wasted spent scrutinising every second and not because it contributes to the overall success of The Smiler or the delivery of Alton Towers marketing plan.
Last edited by haydn! on Sun May 12, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBear

Well there are many promotions and places to get cheap Alton Towers Tickets....

A good one if you take a child, is the Kellogs pay for one child and Admit a Adult for free.

Some other parks charge much more, and in Florida its expensive on a day basis, you can basically have a 2 week pass for about cost of 2 days. 

Alton Towers also offer you chance to buy your ticket back for cheap.

Last time we went i think it was few quid to then get to go again.
Phild94

Heisenberg96 wrote: It may be so, but when pricing at AT has become so high now (£35 I think) your average Joe is going to simply say 'no way am I paying this sort of money just to see one new ride'. I know there are endless things to do at Alton but if people weren't interested in going before the Smiler and see the prices they'll be put right
Would just like to point out the days of a £35 ticket are long gone..... It's £46 a time now.... And I must say didnt think twice about renewing my MAP at that price :/

On a smiler related note.... Am I the only one torn between this being an entirely new facility or an extension of the MOJ.... I mean is this Dr Kelmans legacy.... Or is this Miles's twisted dream....

Also I know this is probably a stupid question and I would've found out in the sanctuary..... But who is controlling Kelman.... Who does he report to? (The woman's voice in clip 3)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
kingda dude

Phild94 wrote:
On a smiler related note.... Am I the only one torn between this being an entirely new facility or an extension of the MOJ.... I mean is this Dr Kelmans legacy.... Or is this Miles's twisted dream....

Also I know this is probably a stupid question and I would've found out in the sanctuary..... But who is controlling Kelman.... Who does he report to? (The woman's voice in clip 3)
As to the storyline:
It must be remembered that technically in the storyline of The Smiler, it should be The Marmaliser that is being tested on the GP, not The Smiler.

Miles Cedars is just a test subject (the first one), he isn't completely Marmalised so he is still able to think and spread the MoJs ideals, essentially using him as bait to draw in other people to be Marmalised.

From what I can gather Dr Kelman will not be the designer (in cannon with the plot) of the Marmaliser, he was simply doing tests on his theories on behalf of the MoJ who are using them to base their Psychological Weapon on. He reports to the MoJ with his findings which they then use to further develop the Marmaliser.

The voice that Dr Kelman was talking to in the third video most likely belongs to the mastermind behind the entire project and an official at the MoJ (because so far in the storyline of The Sanctuary and The Smiler there isn't a character who is an official of the MoJ). The identity of the voice will be likely be released with the 4th video.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
silenthillXD

Just a question, who do we think Dr Sherrif is? If you remember he was the man who introduced Dr Kellman in the Sanctuary queue video and I hear did the announcements in the queue for 2013 too. He didn't have any form of official title, does anyone think he might be one of the potential leaders of the ministry? I must admit, I hope we don't find out who that disembodied voice is, it kindof adds to the atmosphere.
ilyAlton

Part 4 is up.
LCFCjames

Another freakily good video  :D anyone know what the 4th clue is?
BHXDMT

LCFCjames wrote: Another freakily good video  :D anyone know what the 4th clue is?
Smile.

And it seems the website has crashed, or at least for me! Just as I was submitting my details for the competition lol. Typical.

Edit: Nope, we're good it's back.
Last edited by BHXDMT on Mon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny_davies

Yeah me too

Back up now though :D
"Stoke City till I die!"
SwEDEN

Well, I guess we know who will be featuring in the advert then: Miles, Trisha, Dr Kelman and possibly Daniel.
This should be good!  :D
Richardio123

You have to be over 18 as well :) to enter
Signature Pending.. ;D
Azariel

Does anyone know the second code... got all the others?
Mono09

I put all the words in but nothing happens once you press continue:/
SwEDEN

Azariel wrote: Does anyone know the second code... got all the others?
"It's time 2" or something along those lines.
leeprice

Mono09 wrote: I put all the words in but nothing happens once you press continue:/
me too  :|
Richardio123

Press enter on every clue entry until the tick appears :)
Signature Pending.. ;D