The Smiler - Marketing

Smile always. New for 2013.
JonoD

Unsure if this has been shared here, but it's creepily awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDC9JHoIXPQ&feature=share&list=FLsQ54xrnvA3UZKYZArkEZgA

More viral marketing?
Last edited by JonoD on Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathmosman

Hello - noticed a new Follower on my Twitter account, which led to a video...

Not sure if it's fan made or official. Looks good though - and there's some cool touches.  Looks also, like this is the first of a series? 

The video is here: 
and the Twitter account is @Danny_Holden90

Very interesting, and detailed...
Kimberley

Literally just watched that video, must say it freaked me out a lot!  :shock:
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:
Aidan Lowe

Definitely seems like marketing, both their Twitter accounts only have posts from as little as 25th April.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Zach

Told you guys marketing began on 30th April...I never said tv ads haha let the marketing train role I heard the plans but did t think to be this good
Phild94

Mathmosman wrote: Hello - noticed a new Follower on my Twitter account, which led to a video...

Not sure if it's fan made or official. Looks good though - and there's some cool touches.  Looks also, like this is the first of a series? 

The video is here: 
and the Twitter account is @Danny_Holden90

Very interesting, and detailed...
May i just say ..... if they were to hire actors with that little vocal range for a real viral marketing tool ..... i dont even know what Merlin's marketing team were thinking....

on a related note..... XD pretty sure this is fan made.... interesting i have to say but well .... lacks professionalism

I may sound like i'm being really picky but after the last 5 years of studying drama and acting etc etc it's funny how the little things bug you in adverts and if it is a new marketing thing then it hasn't quite hit the Merlin Entertainment's standard :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
nemesis1978

Personally I love it.... It is far to detailed to be fan made IMO and the timing is right.

The actors in the film have hit the nail on the head perfectly for me has a hint of blair witch about it and the last sec freaked me even though I sort of knew something was coming.... can't wait for the next videos. 
temleh

Wow that really made me jump. :shock:
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
Matt 125

Long time no post from me.. must be about 6/7years ago I used to post regularly on here!

Anyway, that video has made me want to post! I think it is a brilliant piece of marketing. It's not too in your face and I love the way they've used Twitter as a means of realism to advertise using two 'real' university students. The effort that has gone in to it is awesome in my opinion. They even created a back story as to why their Twitter accounts only go up to the 25th April (due to spamming of their old accounts - yes, I've effectively done a bit of stalking on them).

What I also found interesting was the name of the author used - Miles Cedars. Miles could be an anagram for 'Smile' whilst 'Cedars' could be 'Scared'?!
Aidan Lowe

Phild94 wrote:pretty sure this is fan made..... lacks professionalism.
Doesn't it seem strange both these accounts were created like a week ago and they tweet about reading a book and meeting an author who don't exist.

^good work on the anagram
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andzdrew

It's far too elaborate to be fan made, surely, and it doesn't actually get to a point, more of a tease? Can't quite see how it would advertise the smiler as a ride though, seems more for the sanctuary?

Loving how much you've looked into it, Matt125, the anagram is perfect, scared smile... Love it.
temleh

A Wiki page was made for Miles Cedars but was deleted by a moderator (boo!) on the 27th…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Cedar
Aidan Lowe

This was the cached information of the Miles Cedars wiki page:
Miles Cedars is Derbyshire's born author of the book Smile. Always. Little is known of his background, however his theories of smiling helping you get through mundane everyday life are well rooted and unlike anything else ever written. It is believed that Miles had a tough time early on in life and sort guidance and structure in his life from those around him.

Critics say his work is brainwashing vulnerable people into his power.
Matt 125

Aha I love stuff like this though! It's just really clever marketing in my opinion because it gets people talking and soon enough the videos will be shared around. It's worked on us anyway!

Andzdrew, I know it doesn't specifically advertise the Smiler itself but it all links in to it and creates a mystery around the whole thing so effectively it is advertising it as well. I like how it's going to be in parts as well, interested to see where they go with this.

Something else I noticed in my stalking activities was an alarm clock picture she uploaded:

5:14... 14 inversions. 5 for May.. Maybe something will be revealed on the 14th May?! I could just be reading into it a bit too much though...
Last edited by Matt 125 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach

I do believe its true marketing :) the timing fits perfect to my sources and what little information they did tell me...it all matches however I do think we can make possible better judgements tomorrow as "dan" has left his computer on over night to upload the rest of videos and tomorrow we should have some more to build and judge on
temleh

From Trisha's account:

"haha better than my dream.. I just kept seeing needles and this weird tune kept going over and over lol"

HMM! ;)
Andzdrew

It is absolutely brilliant, to do nearly a weeks worth of Twitter backstory aswell!

Im sure ive seen this 5:14 things before somewhere... What are the numbers that rotate and turn into smile on another video ive seen?

Also there is a huge barcode that goes around the walls and ceiling above the tv in the smiler bedroom, I asked about it before but it was ignored... Barcodes don't really fit with the theme so to paint a huge one all round the room just seemed odd to me, and then i realised the same barcode was on the roof of a smiler promotional bus... The EAN for the barcode as far as I can tell is 14140004000011 but it means nothing to me... It has to have some purpose else it just eouldnt be there, it doesn't fit... Anyone have any ideas?

Also just turned the alarm clock round, it says hi:s upside down...
Last edited by Andzdrew on Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Lowe

It's very intriguing.
@Danny_Holden90 just realized that the book has gone off Amazon, in fact there is no trace of it- got this screenshot.
Andzdrew

Bit too expensive to buy one just to find put what it's about or if it's real...
Oh I get it, it's a fake amazon screenshot?
Last edited by Andzdrew on Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
temleh

I'm gonna put 2 and 2 together here:

The barcode will be the one found on that Smile Always book! Man the pieces are all coming together now. :)