Thoughts & Views of the Recent Posting Guidelines

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
The Terminator

Well I thought it was funny Clayj :D
I WILL be back
Adam

May I just add, we do have separate boards and sections on this forum where you can post jokes and lighthearted images as much as you like without fear of moderation (to some extent) but due to the shear amount of members and guests that read the construction and other smiler topics, we have to be strict otherwise things will end in chaos.

We need to keep a level of flow and balance to those topics specifically, which I believe we are achieving.

Apologies if some people feel we are slightly too strict at times, but please understand we have to be in certain circumstances.

Like I mentioned we above, we do have other boards and places you can post jokes, witty comments and other things in a more relaxed environment. Lets just keep the important topics relevant, serious and on topic. Then we have no problems all round. :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
clayj

Adam wrote: May I just add, we do have separate boards and sections on this forum where you can post jokes and lighthearted images as much as you like without fear of moderation (to some extent) but due to the shear amount of members and guests that read the construction and other smiler topics, we have to be strict otherwise things will end in chaos.

We need to keep a level of flow and balance to those topics specifically, which I believe we are achieving.

Apologies if some people feel we are slightly too strict at times, but please understand we have to be in certain circumstances.

Like I mentioned we above, we do have other boards and places you can post jokes, witty comments and other things in a more relaxed environment. Lets just keep the important topics relevant, serious and on topic. Then we have no problems all round. :)
I agree totally with your post (and Kirty's) but can I ask, is it possible to remove the more, lets say, pointless posts, especially in construction such as below;

"is anyone on site today"

"i'd love to see more pictures"

"I can't wait to ride this on [insert date]"

...Yesterday alone, I had to read through 15 pages from the last time I looked earlier that day & atleast a couple of pages alone were the above

Just an idea ?

Alton Towers Resort Trip Planning and Reports
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Danny

That is our intention overall to do just that. We would be incredibly grateful if members could assist the team by reporting these posts which will allow us to keep on top of deleting them.
Heisenberg96

I don't understand why you're cutting down on them though...I mean, that is someone's input despite however minor it is. Not every post is going to be useful. This is what makes me withdraw from posting as much now - I feel as if I can't just discuss things and that I have to add an extra piece of information every time I post. I understand why its annoying, but I don't really see why it's been so strictly clamped down on - kind of makes it into more like constant updates than a proper discussion, and nowadays I have to make sure my posts are useful in some way. It makes it all a bit formal and loses the magic. :(
Last edited by Heisenberg96 on Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

We don't expect every post to be informative by any means, you're free to discuss or speculate in their certain topics without contributing something that contains information. But the constant stream of people asking for updates does nothing but make the topics more difficult to read and messy. We are therefore intending to cut down on these posts as there is no need to to ask a question that has been asked [insert small number here] posts beforehand.
clayj

I think that hit the nail on the head, for me anyhow, in that people can freely post and reply provided they are adding a valid point or opinion rather then "I agree" & "whos there today"etc.

I will shamelessly hit the report button from now when I see posts like above in the vain hope others do thus removing pointless posts.

Would it an option to have a topic pinned to the top of trip plans /reviews called "Whos at the park TODAY" with the accepted rule only to be used for talking about that day with people requeting photos etc for that day ??
Last edited by clayj on Sat May 11, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Danny

clayj wrote: Would it an option to have a topic pinned to the top of trip plans /reviews called "Who's at the park TODAY" with the accepted rule only to be used for talking about that day with people requesting photos etc for that day ??
With the addition of a couple of ideas I've just thought up on the spot, that could have potentially worked had we implemented it earlier. Although it's probably too late down the line to make this idea a feature, seeing as there is just over a weeks worth of updates to go :)
Lee

That sounds like a good idea, but I worry that those who are on park who don't want to take photos etc will end up with the pressure of doing so. It already happens a lot in the shoutbox when someone mentions they're on the way to towers/at towers, there seems to some members who then proceed to bombard them for updates and photos.

Could there be a provision to exclude that somehow?
clayj

I'd say people are under NO pressure to take photos if they don't want to, but if members are more then welcome to put requests if they want. I'm going for two days in July with the attention of takin my SLR and bag of lenses so will he requests before I go as I'm semi pro... I won't however be advertising when I'm actually there a I'm not goin to Waite my time on here as I don't get to the park much lol
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Heisenberg96

clayj wrote: I will shamelessly hit the report button from now when I see posts like above in the vain hope others do thus removing pointless posts.
Sorry but, can you explain to me exactly why my post was 'pointless'? I think you'll find I was posting so that one of the team could expand as I was still unsure why this issue is being clamped down on since my first post. Now a team member has explained it to me and I understand. If people are really going to nitpick and say my post was 'pointless' because it followed up from my original one then I really do wonder on what grounds you find my post worthy of a report when it had a clear purpose.
clayj

Heisenberg96 wrote:
clayj wrote: I will shamelessly hit the report button from now when I see posts like above in the vain hope others do thus removing pointless posts.
Sorry but, can you explain to me exactly why my post was 'pointless'? I think you'll find I was posting so that one of the team could expand as I was still unsure why this issue is being clamped down on since my first post. Now a team member has explained it to me and I understand. If people are really going to nitpick and say my post was 'pointless' because it followed up from my original one then I really do wonder on what grounds you find my post worthy of a report when it had a clear purpose.
Think you got the wrong end of the stick mate... read it again lol
clayj wrote: I think that hit the nail on the head, for me anyhow, in that people can freely post and reply provided they are adding a valid point or opinion rather then "I agree" & "whos there today"etc.

I will shamelessly hit the report button from now when I see posts like above in the vain hope others do thus removing pointless posts.
I've the forum filtered to read the other way around so newest posts are at the top of the screen :)
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Heisenberg96

Now I feel a fool... :oops:
Sorry about that, I thought by 'posts' you meant a seperate post up, I didn't even think about that.

Excuse my stupidity.  :)
Aidan Lowe

Just had a photo removed from an update post ASOT650Bham is posting via Twitter (the one taken from on board Oblivion) which I pointed out an obvious Smiler Logo around the plaza which seems new.

I gave credit where it's due which leave's me scratching my head, I can't see what's possibly wrong with it that it resulted in it's removal from the post.

Regards
Andy
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Wes

Hey Mabalzich - Your photo was removed due to the nature in which it was taken. Unfortunately TowersTimes cannot condone taking photos whilst riding roller coasters - it's simply not safe.
It's highly unlikely that permission was given for photography whilst riding Oblivion and we do not want to encourage other members to break the rules that Alton Towers have put in place.

Regardless of it being yours or not - we can't have it on the forum.

Sorry!
AndreJD

Whatever you do with the Smiler forums make sure you keep the speculation out of the main construction thread. I was tearing my hair out reading some users ill-concieved bits of blind guessing when I just want to know whats going on with the ride and peoples opinions on it.
Liam B

I do not believe any of the very off topic smiler discussion is any of the moderators faults. You have stated a lot of times that that is the wrong place for discussion and what seem to be new members are completely ignore anything you are writing. It is annoying me a ridiculous amount that I must read through this large list of theories people have came up with over and over and over again and then complain about "aw stop deleting my posts I want to express my theory" when they are placing this idea in the wrong topic and bringing up an idea that has been talked about for the past 6 months at least!
Phild94

Just an idea regarding the Smiler topics in particular... could we not have a little change up .... something along the lines of:

Construction

Speculation and General

Marketing

Other

I think that way we may be able to pull all construction back to being well ... constructive :)

also i do agree that posts should be grammatically correct and well written.... but i think it would work better for a TT member to adjust this and possibly leave a small pm (such as a generic reply one along the lines of make sure you proof read)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
gabbygrace

Just to put my penny into the pot, my main concerns as a new member of this forum, having joined to follow Smiler updates, are the sometimes intimidating nature of peoples responses to simple, often asked by first time posters, questions (a rather cheeky suggestion, but would it be worth posting the definition and social stands towards the word "opinion"? :P)  And just point out, I have no problem with hitting the report button and have done a few times, sadly it seems to be the same user everytime......

Also,  the fact that all too often a thread is just pages and pages of people having an arguement, i'm all for fighting your case but sometimes I think a third party needs to step in and say stop.

In regards to the grammer, I feel that if a post is so hard to read to the point that it makes no sense then, yes, it should be given a "tidy up" but the poster should be informed so as to learn from their mistakes and the same goes for posts that are removed. 

It's such a shame that only a handful of people do not follow the forum guidelines,think before they post or are more concerned with being "funny" than helpful, and are thus ruining it for others.

(not very well said but I hope it helps and it was nice to get things off my chest.)

EDIT: I feel I should also point out that it is clearly not just new members who are messing up topics.
Wes

This is an obvious issue that the team are discussing.

Thankfully - the ride will be open next week, which should put an end to all discussion on construction and marketing. Everyone will just be Getting Corrected ;)