What type of major flat would you like to see next?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Tom.B

SamSimkin wrote: I would quite like a drop tower in dark forest that goes deep underground, themed around pulling you into the dark forest roots.
Nemesis Sub-Terra, then.
MJNemesis

daveclarkedaveclarke wrote: I think one of these Huss jump2 rides themed as an out of control tree would really suit the dark forest
Thumbs up to that. What an amazing idea.

I'd love to see a Zierer Star Shape. There was one in Blackpool called Bling, which was sold to Germany. My 2 favourite all time flats are Top Scan and swinging inverter ships. Some clever soul decided to create a messed up lovechild of both, putting the seating arrangement from a Top Scan on the end of a massive inverter arm.

It was formidable to look at. You know those inverter arms that are so big they take ages to flip over and the ride was completely random (like Samurai) because of the seating. It was held at the top too (either by a program or a skilled ride op) and rocking around on the gondala at 100ft is pretty sketchy!

Owen

I was thinking to expand x-sector even further they could add a sequel flat to the smiler all yellow and black
It would be a Lap Barred Octopus, as in our small standing fair in hastings there is one and it makes anyone giggle it is the funniest ride ever and it's got a long cycle too.
Imagine that in smiler yellow and black

Also here's a link.

(It would also be higher and have dividers to stop others crushing you)
leeprice

Haha! I actually went on one of these last week!

It's such a simple ride, but you're right, it made me smile. It's such a bizarre sensation and one I've never experienced before on any other ride.

I think this is more a travelling fair ride though, can't see it fitting in at AT.

I'd love to see a drop tower, something like Bounce at Oakwood, obviously in a hole in the ground
SamSimkin

Tommo23 wrote:
SamSimkin wrote: I would quite like a drop tower in dark forest that goes deep underground, themed around pulling you into the dark forest roots.
Nemesis Sub-Terra, then.
No. I'm talking here about an open topped one that would take you to the top of the dark forest then plummet you from the light of day down into a dark cavern. Not dark all the time like nemesis sub terra.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Benji

When blade has had it's final day, wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with a the same model as curandero at six flags Mexico.

Im sure this would be aloud as in that ditch it would be below the tree line

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Owen

Benji wrote: When blade has had it's final day, wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with a the same model as curandero at six flags Mexico.

Im sure this would be aloud as in that ditch it would be below the tree line
Hey mate,firstly I like the idea BUT its too similar to submission I would like to see a flying disk take blades place tbh
^this with the seats faced outwards^
Last edited by Owen on Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Like a 360 maelstrom?
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Owen

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: Like a 360 maelstrom?
Yeah :yes:
thorpetowersfan14

They should take down one of the flat rides in the X sector and build a drop tower that drops underground. Then launches you back up again.
Dan

thorpetowersfan14 wrote: They should take down one of the flat rides in the X sector and build a drop tower that drops underground. Then launches you back up again.
There's no real need for a drop-tower.

AT already has 3 attractions that have a drop as the main focus of the ride (Oblivion, Sub-Terra and Th13teen)

Any more would be overkill.
the smiler :-)

SamSimkin wrote:
Tommo23 wrote:
Nemesis Sub-Terra, then.
No. I'm talking here about an open topped one that would take you to the top of the dark forest then plummet you from the light of day down into a dark cavern. Not dark all the time like nemesis sub terra.

reminding you about the tree height limit
arsenalfan-1

Tbh I don't think we will ever see a flat ride that is a substantial drop on a drop tower. Basically, due to sub-terra is pretty much a drop tower and we have the tree-line rule.
Thanks Lewis97
jmed

AT is in serious need of some more flats. Considering the cost of a flat compared to a coaster, they could add at least 3 or 4 in quick succession to improve several areas. DF needs something urgently, the land where the ugswinger sat seems ready for development still and the area really needs a flat to spread the queues. Also KC needs one but space isn't quite as good there.
a drop tower simply wont happen, not whilst the height restrictions are in place. Cobra at chessington could be good. I think they should add 3 fairly simple flats over a year or two, whilst they develop a 'worlds first flat' to follow them. a worlds first flat might be difficult but i'm sure they could somehow change something to make it unique.

I think a good benefit of adding lots of flats would be that eventually they should aim to have so many rides, that one day simply isn't enough. They might not all be multi million pound worlds first rides, with incredible back stories, small simple crowd pullers.

AT surely has a higher coaster to flat ratio than almost any other uk park, which is great and something that other parks are surely jealous of, however as i said, more flats would mean people had no choice to make 2 visits if they really wanted to experience everything. and this means 2 entrance fees, twice the food drink and gifts, and potentially even a hotel stay and all the other revenue that brings.

summary - flat for KC, maybe maelstrom style ride, flat for DF, maybe dark ride flat near gloomy wood, space permitting. then unique flat for FB, maybe replacing blade.
Themeparksandy1981

The problem with all theses flat ride topics the park don't like adding them only moving them around or retheming themo

If you look at each area

FV
Blade was the pirate ship in fantasy world
Ripsaw Was new but is 16 years old now
Sub Terra the only flat ride added since Submission

X sector

Submission was new but is 11 years old now
Enterprise was moved from festival park

MB

Marauder's Mayhem rethemed tea cup ride
Heave Ho! Rethemed ride from Drayton Manor

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Twirling Toadstools moved from Ug land and rethemed
Benjsh

I find the majority of flat rides to be pretty dull and nauseating also. They are also prone to going wrong a hell of lot more than coasters do. There are a few exceptions, Maelstrom being my personal favourite. I was also kinda a fan of Bling at BPB before it was removed but even that had massive reliability issues.

I just don't think AT see them as a priority at all. Makes the place a bit more special too that they don't. I'd much rather they add a coaster, dark ride or something unique rather than just some generic fairground flat ride. Leave them for the inferior parks (cough Thorpe cough cough)

Don't see one coming any time soon either.

Kiddie's area, flume replacement and SW8 look to be the next projects.
schmatt

Seeing as Alton are renowned for their unique and creative attractions why have they never considered creating in-house flat rides to give exclusive experiences to the resort much like Adventure Island do but on a much larger scale. The main disadvantage would be the cost however it would enable them to create something specific to the parks needs.

Following this note, I would love to see a hybrid ride combining flying circus with a starshape to create something like this monster

Shove it at the end of Dark forest as a device used to rip up trees which goes out of control (the main arm being the device and the smaller the tree with the seats themed as roots) or in the blade pit with a rusty industrial theme.
Danny

I'd like to see a gerstlauer sky roller. Different, and little kids can go on it as we'll as thrill seekers as you control how intense your experience is :)
schmatt

I can't think of any major flat on the park which isn't falling apart. Therefore I would love for the blade, ripsaw, submission and enterprise to be removed. Then the following flats added over the course of multiple developments.

Development one - The next high investment year
  • Remove the above flats
  • Replace the blade with a huss frisbee, Ripsaw with a Mondial Inferno, Enterprise with a huss Booster and Submission with a Mondial Super Nova (Using 2 manufacturers for a deal on buying multiple rides)
Year two - Added one bullet point at a time in Mid-investment years
  • Add a Huss suspended top spin with water and fire effects on the waterplay site in dark forest
  • Add a Huss Jump2 on the old Ugswinger site
  • Add an Intamin bounty (On flume lake) and flying dutchmen (on large grass area behind Rapids Station) in Mutiny Bay both with water effects
  • Add multiple childrens flats accross the park
Krazycoaster

The only trouble with these rides is, well... how high they go!
This ride couldn't go in any current flat ride location, there isn't enough ground space. Alton would have to dig down and create a large flat piece of land, a minimum of 16,9mx13,5m for the smallest model.
I'd love to see one of these rides but I can't see it happening unless Alton develop a completely new themed area with it's own space and land.