Thorpe Park - Stealth

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Anonymous

[quote=""dc006f5086""]Project Stealth goes from 0-80 mph in 2.5 seconds and 0-205 ft in 8 seconds of course it will crap all over Rita.[/quote]

How can you say that seeing as they are totally different coasters. Yes they both launch but dose that mean all lift hill coasters are the same?
jpecool

[quote=""Phil""][quote=""Burn.e""]You can't come up with a coaster concept, do all the paper work, ring up the constructer and get the coaster open all in less than 1 year, no way.[/quote]

They just have done!
But the tyre was not originally planned. I discinctly remember seeing plans for a cool, flag type entrance... they have obviously changed that as of late
Yeah, the original theming landscapes were altered to the newer ones, which can be seen on the fansites.[/quote]

I actually believe rita was planned for another park. Then the park backed out, and Alton were searching fort something to build for 2005 as they had withdrawn the plans for the woody, and BAM, Intamin and Alton meet. Intamin show Alton the design for a rocket coaster, that a park has just pulled out of (which for some reason, i think was phantasialand, but im not sure, i have no evidence or fact, i just think it would have gone) and Alton see that it fits in the Ug land spot, if they do a bit of rearranging. Im not sure if this is true, but im almot sure, in the rita construction, there was some information released that said the rirta layout was planned for another park. It was never said what park though. ye im sure that was true, as thats why we thought a water coaster was on the way, as a park had just pulled out of building one (at this time we didnt know alton was getting rita, just a new ride). Which means rita wasnt planned in a year. The layout and ride and all the tech specs like G forces were sorted out before, BUT then alton took on the project, and there would hve had o be a little editing to the plans, and alton doid a rush job so they could build in 2005. Maybe.

Anyway, that was well off topic. I think project stealth should be called stealth, or a good name at least. :P

BTW stealth is NOT a clone of Kindga ka. Clones are the same size i believe, AND stealth has 2 90 degree turns in the top hat, one up, one down. Kingda Ka has one 90 degree turn going upwards, and one 270 degree turn going down. :wink:

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
timmy1372

Yeh i cant see any new updates either but maybe there is somewhere.

Will be exciting to see the track take shape and when eventually the top hat is added in a few months, foundations and groundwork is ok but track etc will be much more interesting to watch :D

Construcion seems pretty quick really i'm surprised :o

The two dont really compare as they are very different, stealth is a bit like Oblivion as its more about one or two specific elements on the ride done in a big way, rita is more like nemesis with lots of features with less emphasis on any single element and more lots of smaller elements.

Its as simliar as Nemesis is to Oblivion both have lift hills but do different things, stealth and rita are launched but will do different things.

They are all good and need to be ridden, Stealth could be considered a one trick pony like Oblivion but i still love Oblivion so...........
themeparkdude

[quote=""hj1984""]Where exactly? As far as i can see it hasnt been updated since the 6th August...[/quote]

www.insider.org.uk/thorpepark/Future/pr ... /index.htm

Here you go, the pictures were put up a bit late, and they from the 29th of august.
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

blobalbob

There's only one way to make an Intamin Rocket and that's this baby...

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2498.htm?picture=21

150' tall Top Hat − Outside
135' tall Immelman (Cobra Loop)
Heartline Roll (Zero−G−Heart Roll) - at god know what height?
Flying Snake Dive - awesome - designer was drunk!

Rita, TTD, Kinda Pa and soon to be Stealth aren't a patch on her. THIS is pushing coaster design to the limits - Oi Tussauds, why didn't ya order us a Storm Runner? :(
Parks Visited in 2006
None - I hate winter!

Best Park - Cedar Point for Rides, Hershey for brainwashing!, Best Coaster - Storm Runner, Best Rocket - Storm Runner. TTD or KK - Top Thrill Dragster (5 hour queue for Kingda Pa!), Best Inverted - Nemesis AT (By a long shot) Best Dark Ride - Valhalla, Best Themeing - Amity Cove, Worst Park - 6fGA (what a rip off!),
timmy1372

That looks pretty mental for those of us who are lucky enough to visit it :(

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... ner4.shtml

Crazy
jpecool

Yeah i have heard storm runner is very good. Apparently the launch is really really fast. Apparently it takes off much faster than TTDs but then the thrill doesnt last as long. Then i also heard it has great air ime over the first top hat and that the flying snake dive is one of the best elements out there. Put that all together and i think that ride must be a great one. I think Great Bear (the B&M inverter) which is situated in the same park also looks awesome. :D

Anonymous

Track here: http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/explore/200 ... _track.asp

I like the colour, & everything else about it.
blobalbob

[quote=""jpecool""]Yeah i have heard storm runner is very good. Apparently the launch is really really fast. Apparently it takes off much faster than TTDs but then the thrill doesnt last as long. Then i also heard it has great air time over the first top hat and that the flying snake dive is one of the best elements out there. Put that all together and i think that ride must be a great one. I think Great Bear (the B&M inverter) which is situated in the same park also looks awesome. :D[/quote]

Storm Runner launch is good but the best element has got to be the barrel roll combined with the snake dive. At around 130 foot up you do a 360 barrel roll, start to do another and suddenly the track drops all the way back to the ground, its a great feeling. :twisted:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2498.htm?picture=20
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2498.htm?picture=24
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2498.htm?picture=8

I love this ride and this park, as the article says "Storm Runner simply cannot be compared to any roller coaster. It is a true freak show of a ride"

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... ndex.shtml

As for Great Bear it looks impressive but its no way near as good as Nemesis. Of all the B&M inverters we rode, including about 5 I think in the U.S., Nemesis is way ahead. It's unique being built into the ground and the compactness of the ride makes it really intense - Most US versions are built on top of old car parks with the elements strung out too far apart so they don't feel anywhere near as good.

Anyway back on topic - I'm glad the track is here for Stealth - i wonder how many accidents it will cause on the M3 once its built though?
Parks Visited in 2006
None - I hate winter!

Best Park - Cedar Point for Rides, Hershey for brainwashing!, Best Coaster - Storm Runner, Best Rocket - Storm Runner. TTD or KK - Top Thrill Dragster (5 hour queue for Kingda Pa!), Best Inverted - Nemesis AT (By a long shot) Best Dark Ride - Valhalla, Best Themeing - Amity Cove, Worst Park - 6fGA (what a rip off!),
timmy1372

Question for you?

Whats the metal plates for which rise up in front of the Coaster cars before they launch then drop just before you leave the station, they seem to be on all hydraulic launch Coasters but I cant work out what they do, there is a hydraulic winch to pull the car but what are the plates for, stealth i guess will also have these plates, Any ideas?

You can see what pushes them up and down here
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2787.htm?picture=13
Anonymous

they're magnetic brakes in case a rollback happens.
themeparkdude

I'm sure it does have something to with the hydraulics, and the launch. It some kind of brake thingy which uses pistons.

And track is being placed.

www.thorpepark.com/explore/2006/photo_d ... talled.asp
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Anonymous

Like what has been said above they are magnetic brakes. They drop when launching other wise you wouldn't launch. They then come up so if the train rolls back it wont crash into the station.
timmy1372

Rollback brakes makes sense, incase the launch is not at full capacity for some reason, safety precautions.

Exciting stuff, first bit of track being laid.

This is a big project for Tussauds and I hope it all goes smoothly unlike the much bigger Kingda Ka, I'm really looking forward to this ride, its not to be sniffed at, we always want more from a new project, it should bigger, longer etc but its whats in budget and what space is available and planning consent which has to accomodated.

The construction coverage from Thorpe is superb

I think it will be a success 8)
jpecool

[quote=""timmy1372""]Question for you?

Whats the metal plates for which rise up in front of the Coaster cars before they launch then drop just before you leave the station, they seem to be on all hydraulic launch Coasters but I cant work out what they do, there is a hydraulic winch to pull the car but what are the plates for, stealth i guess will also have these plates, Any ideas?

You can see what pushes them up and down here
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2787.htm?picture=13[/quote]

The metal plates you talk of are called copper alloy fins. The fins are used to interfere with the magnetic field. This makes them like brakes. They rise up above the track when the train has finished launching, or when it is loading, or else where in the circuit. This means there is interference, and the train cannot move or it is slowed down. You will see when the train is about to launch, the fin drop down below the track, and then there is no interference with the magnets on the bottom of the train. This allows the train to travel freely over the track. You will also see, once a train has launched the fins go straight back up, this is in case a roll back occurs. The train sometimes does not gain enough speed to travel over a certain element, due to a failed launch where the train does not reach its desired launch speed. The train then rolls back at speed on to the launch segment, and the copper alloy fins interfere with the magnets on the bottom of the train, and the car is bought to a smooth stop. Then the car can be rolled back down to the start of the launch (this is why launch segments are on a slight incline) and can be prepared to re launch and then the ride will carry on as normal.

I hope that helps. I believe ive seen a diagram somewhere on the Internet, and if i come accross it, i will link to it.

Its exciting seeing track being placed now. This is going to be such an interesting ride to follow, as we havent seen anything this big in the UK since The big one was built.

haydn!

talking of roll backs... as Rita failed to perform yet?
jpecool

I think its failed once, but didnt roll back, although im not sure. It doesnt realy matter with rita, its when TTD and Kingda KA roll back that people report it more. I know TTD roll backs alot, and apparently its alot of fun when it does. I hope when i get to ride TTD it rolls back, then you get 2 launches, and the added backwards drop. [:D]

Adz
Admin
Admin

Rita does it on a nearly daily basis. Its a very common thing.
jpecool

^ Really??? Have you seen it do it, as i would think it would be fun.

Adz
Admin
Admin

I've seen it do it every day i was there last, when i was in the damn queue as well.

Tussauds however from what i can see dont handle rollbacks all too well instead of doing the usual simple american idea of relaunching it, they calla shutdown and wait for engineers to come, evacuate the station, then test it for about 10 minutes before reopening it again. in my experience anyway.