The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
demz_4

whats annoying me already is that the yellow used in the promotional material / logos etc isnt the same yellow used on the cars / airgates / marmaliser. It looks really boring and quite tacky looking.  A candy yellow with that slight green tinge would really have set this off :( just like the artwork...
C0RR3CTED1

If it was just the inversions I don't think AT would have branded the smiler as 'world's first' as well as 'world beating'. Plus, inversions can easily be beaten, I think it is in AT's nature to create something which is totally new and innovative. Something incorporated into the trains would be different and nice to see  :) ... Liking the colour of the trains though!  :D
Coasterfan312

JayJay90 wrote: they could still be big chunky lap bars *holds on to hope*
Liking the design of the trains though! and floorless is ruled out too...so what could be the different design! :/
Sadly, you can clearly see the seatbelt clip on the far left restraint :L
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
ollboll9

I think they are lap bars sort of like the ones on shambhala
you can sort of see them on the pic alton tweeted but im not sure i want lap bars on this coaster i hardly managed colossus with OTSR's :?
wish they were floorless though :( never been on a floorless coaster except for nemesis

I know that shambhala is a B&M it was just a comparison
Last edited by ollboll9 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poop. Always
Will1997

This is a long shot, but could you maybe have the choice between OTSR and lap bars in the station? This could be a worlds first.
The Earl

C0RR3CTED1  wrote: If it was just the inversions I don't think AT would have branded the smiler as 'world's first' as well as 'world beating'. Plus, inversions can easily be beaten, I think it is in AT's nature to create something which is totally new and innovative. Something incorporated into the trains would be different and nice to see  :) ... Liking the colour of the trains though!  :D
The worlds first is the inversions, I can't believe this is still been debated when we all now know it has 14. There's no other coaster in the world with 14 track inversions, thus making The Smiler a "worlds first" & "world beating".
ollboll9

Will1997 wrote: This is a long shot, but could you maybe have the choice between OTSR and lap bars in the station? This could be a worlds first.
I hope thats real it would be beast
Poop. Always
Boz

Coasterfan312 wrote:
Liking the design of the trains though! and floorless is ruled out too...so what could be the different design! :/
Actually... I don't know what that is, There are no seat belts to clip onto, and Gert's coasters don't use seat belts anyway
Rollercoasters4Life

Just to disprove the idea of Gerstlauer Lapbars even more:

This is the best picture I could get of Iron Shark's Trains so you can see the restraints.
SmilingMonkey

Will1997 wrote: This is a long shot, but could you maybe have the choice between OTSR and lap bars in the station? This could be a worlds first.
I'd be annoyed if this was the case as its a pretty dull worlds first and would cause confusion for regular guests in the queue - no doubtedly causing delays to boarding.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
The Psychoaster

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Just to disprove the idea of Gerstlauer Lapbars even more:

This is the best picture I could get of Iron Shark's Trains so you can see the restraints.
Take a look at Dare Devil Dive's lapbars - completely different. Proves nothing.
Danny

It looks to me like that same lap bars as rip ride rocket, they come form the side, think that white square could be a safety sticker or something :?

Sorry they are completely different I'm thinking of a different ride  :D
TomL

Boz wrote:
Coasterfan312 wrote:
Actually... I don't know what that is, There are no seat belts to clip onto, and Gert's coasters don't use seat belts anyway
Arent they just bumps in the seat to define where your thighs go...
getothing

the trains looks similar with the game ¡
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
ollboll9

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Just to disprove the idea of Gerstlauer Lapbars even more:

Thing is though Dare Devil Dives restraints are totally different although there rows of two but thay are Gerstlauer lapbars but i see your point
Poop. Always
coreylee106

danny.g97 wrote: It looks to me like that same lap bars as rip ride rocket, they come form the side, think that white square could be a safety sticker or something :?
Those silver square things are just the Gerst logo, you can just pick them out on this photo of SAW-
Last edited by coreylee106 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjsh

Give it up guys......It's blatantly obvious they are OTSR's. Don't torture yourselves.

And with 14/15 inversions, they were always go to have them too.
Hitch

C0RR3CTED1  wrote: If it was just the inversions I don't think AT would have branded the smiler as 'world's first' as well as 'world beating'. Plus, inversions can easily be beaten, I think it is in AT's nature to create something which is totally new and innovative. Something incorporated into the trains would be different and nice to see  :) ... Liking the colour of the trains though!  :D
All of their world first coasters are easily beaten, another themepark just uses the same company to make another version for their park.
SmilingMonkey

Will1997 wrote:
SmilingMonkey wrote:
I'd be annoyed if this was the case as its a pretty dull worlds first and would cause confusion for regular guests in the queue - no doubtedly causing delays to boarding.
[/quote you could have two different queues when you get into the station.
I didn't say it couldn't be done. I'm aware this is how it would work (similar to front seat queues) however I think it's too complicated to be reasonably practical and not a great 'world first' in my opinion.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
Rollercoasters4Life

Gerstlauer have done two different lapbars so far - the first was Dare Devil Dive:

As you can see, there are only two seats per row. The seats on The Smiler are not that spread out and look like Saw's in relation to gap between seats. To me it rules out the bar coming down the side. The bottom section of The Smilers restraints look nothing like DDD's also.

The next type of Gerstlauer lapbar is the one on Iron Shark:

Yet again, they look nothing a like.

So to sum up, unless they are new lapbar type restraints then this will have OTSR.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.