The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
Danny

Use this topic to discuss the ride trains for The Smiler. And to kick us off, here they are after being delivered to the resort:

Last edited by Danny on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phild94

If you ask me.... Those headrests look a little too close together for OTSRs ......

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
TheInactiveMoth

Does this mean that the design will be similar to two standard Eurofighter trains attached together, or something different? I cannae tell, plus I know very little... :D
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!
MatthewR1990

They look very simar to iron shark trains from their shape. So yes it will be two cars of 2x4 with a very flexible joint connecting them by the looks of it. But to be fair. Now that we see the track one big 4x4 car would be stupid in my opinion.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
RCT3Bross

TheInactiveMoth wrote: Does this mean that the design will be similar to two standard Eurofighter trains attached together, or something different? I cannae tell, plus I know very little... :D
I think they look the same as I look at the shape. Only difference I guess is the nose is flag instead of pointy. ;) Hope they soon unwrap them and post some pictures of that. :D
MatthewR1990

My hones opinion is saying these trains are 2 of these stuck together with some smiler theming.

I'm ok with that ^_^ lmao
Boz

From an engineering standpoint guys, it can't be two standard eurofighter cars linked together, as that means you will have 2 pilot cars... suffice to say, that will never work. There is very little we can tell from that image ATM.
But I will say, I find the lack of a telltale OTSR bump in the plastic, rather curious....
Danny

Is there a possibility perhaps that if the ride does have OTSRs, they are waiting to be attached on whilst they sit in storage, instead of being put on before the trains were shipped?
MatthewR1990

Boz wrote: From an engineering standpoint guys, it can't be two standard eurofighter cars linked together, as that means you will have 2 pilot cars... suffice to say, that will never work. There is very little we can tell from that image ATM.
But I will say, I find the lack of a telltale OTSR bump in the plastic, rather curious....
Very obvious. I was being general. But the cars will be very similar to the above pic I bet. Also does anyone know if there are any other 4x4 lap barred gersts anywhere? And if not, is that what the "new euro fighter" labelling will be about?
Boz

Danny wrote: Is there a possibility perhaps that if the ride does have OTSRs, they are waiting to be attached on whilst they sit in storage, instead of being put on before the trains were shipped?
That would be VERY unusual Danny. Every train delivery I've seen from every manufacturer, has seen the individual row/car delivered fully assembled.
TomL

Sorry, posted this in construction:
I think the trains will have lap bars too but AT is hiding the front row...
PhNx Survivor

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Boz wrote: From an engineering standpoint guys, it can't be two standard eurofighter cars linked together, as that means you will have 2 pilot cars... suffice to say, that will never work. There is very little we can tell from that image ATM.
Very obvious. I was being general. But the cars will be very similar to the above pic I bet. Also does anyone know if there are any other 4x4 lap barred gersts anywhere? And if not, is that what the "new euro fighter" labelling will be about?

The Smiler is the first gerst I believe to have a completely new design on the trains, I believe someone pointed this out in the construction thread.

EDIT: Although judging by the picture... I don't really see anything new in shape wise??
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
TomL

Danny wrote: Is there a possibility perhaps that if the ride does have OTSRs, they are waiting to be attached on whilst they sit in storage, instead of being put on before the trains were shipped?
Boz said this was unlikely as normally they are shipped with all parts attached but gerst are on site to put them on....
Boz

TomL wrote:
Boz said this was unlikely as normally they are shipped with all parts attached but gerst are on site to put them on....
The manufacturer is always on site for any project, during both construction and testing. Besides, any engineer could install the restraints on site, not just the manufacturer. Like I said, It would be VERY unusual for them to have been shipped unattached.
Rollercoasters4Life

Boz wrote:
TomL wrote:
The manufacturer is always on site for any project, during both construction and testing. Besides, any engineer could install the restraints on site, not just the manufacturer. Like I said, It would be VERY unusual for them to have been shipped unattached.
Unusual, but possible. I am not ruling it still being OTSR just because there is a lack of a OTSR bump - I'm still holding out for lapbars but am going into it with them being OTSR so I am less disappointed if it does turn out to be OTSR. If it does turn out to be lapbars, I will be pleasantly surprised and ecstatic! Here's hoping...:D
Trisnie

Just a couple of random thoughts to throw in but I would highlight that I have nothing to back these up

IF the cars are 4D would that imply assembly would be required?

Someone once speculated about separating cars could this be a possibility?
I for one could imagine the car going up the hill and near the top the rear portion of the car falling back or even a random chain of events on one  ride the car could fall back on the next on the rear portion  could fall back and so on.

With the reception The Swarm has got could we have  seats facing backwards?
C0RR3CTED1

How on earth would they ensure rider safety if the trains do turn out to have lap bars? especially if you had riders who are particularly thin like myself? lol. It would however add a whole lot of fear and thrill to proceedings though..
Hmv

I'm presuming the lapbars would rachet down tight against you just like an otsr so I don't see any problems for thin people!!  :lol:
Trisnie

C0RR3CTED1  wrote: How on earth would they ensure rider safety if the trains do turn out to have lap bars? especially if you had riders who are particularly thin like myself? lol. It would however add a whole lot of fear and thrill to proceedings though..
From my understanding on most coasters (with clear exceptions) the restraints under normal operation don't do much  and it's natural forces that hold you in place (not that I would like to test that) and as such lap bars wouldn't be a problem.
serious sam!

C0RR3CTED1  wrote: How on earth would they ensure rider safety if the trains do turn out to have lap bars? especially if you had riders who are particularly thin like myself? lol. It would however add a whole lot of fear and thrill to proceedings though..
I remember going on g force at Dayton manor when i just turned 12 and i was rather thin and tall and as uncomfortable as it was it was perfectly safe :)