The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
vinyljunkie

Imo and im  probably goin to get shot down for this but I think theres going to be more to the trains  :shock:
Maseyg123

getothing wrote:
Hmv wrote: No one seems to have mentioned yet the "Alton towers resort" in quite a retro font, I love the look of this and also kind of links it back to the past and the sanctuary. Also the tubular framework on the front is reminding me of an old style hospital bed, so could it be themed like a big hospital bed in black and yellow? Or have they just used a bit of that style framework to provide the link? :moj
I think the sanctuary is from 1997 and the smiler is from 2013 (future) i dont think the smiler is retro ,the smiler is futuristic y psicologic ¡
Alton towers words look similar (actually)
It's supposed to be a 1950's hospital theme, isn't it? :)
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
riley_h96

vinyljunkie wrote: Imo and im  probably goin to get shot down for this but I think theres going to be more to the trains  :shock:
On the Smiler Website, it does say:
Today, at the Alton Towers Resort we had a delivery to make everyone smile... the first installment of The Smiler ride cars were unloaded, following their journey all the way from Germany.

Yes, this could mean they're waiting for more cars to be delivered of the same design, but there is a chance!  :W.
Last edited by riley_h96 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinyljunkie

If theres nothing more to the trains then thats cool , but I hope its not lol
Andzdrew

I've mentioned it before but seeing as someone else brought it up I'll suggest it again, every row of the train seems identical, including the front rail... And each row is joined so loosely there's nearly 2 foot between each row... The optical illusions can't be seen on the front row, which is odd, so I have a strange feeling these cars will split/rejoin to the car infront on the flat section of track before the vertical (launch?)

So 4x4 train splits to standard eurofighter 2x4, the front 2 link on to the back 2 of the next to become a new 4x4... The truth is from watching the ride you'd always see a 4x4 train going round, and 2 trains waiting at the vertical lift. You wouldn't know what really happened until youride... Only prob is youd need to send one 2x4 on it's own the first time you started the ride...
Owen

andzdrew wrote: I've mentioned it before but seeing as someone else brought it up I'll suggest it again, every row of the train seems identical, including the front rail... And each row is joined so loosely there's nearly 2 foot between each row... The optical illusions can't be seen on the front row, which is odd, so I have a strange feeling these cars will split/rejoin to the car infront on the flat section of track before the vertical (launch?)

So 4x4 train splits to standard eurofighter 2x4, the front 2 link on to the back 2 of the next to become a new 4x4... The truth is from watching the ride you'd always see a 4x4 train going round, and 2 trains waiting at the vertical lift. You wouldn't know what really happened until youride... Only prob is youd need to send one 2x4 on it's own the first time you started the ride...
How would this work,trick track?
getothing

Maseyg123 wrote:
getothing wrote:
Hmv wrote: No one seems to have mentioned yet the "Alton towers resort" in quite a retro font, I love the look of this and also kind of links it back to the past and the sanctuary. Also the tubular framework on the front is reminding me of an old style hospital bed, so could it be themed like a big hospital bed in black and yellow? Or have they just used a bit of that style framework to provide the link? :moj
I think the sanctuary is from 1997 and the smiler is from 2013 (future) i dont think the smiler is retro ,the smiler is futuristic y psicologic ¡
Alton towers words look similar (actually)
It's supposed to be a 1950's hospital theme, isn't it? :)
The sanctuary was the beginning of the ministry of joy, and it is of 1950, s but the smiler technologic slightly new, new and etc, is the new project of 2013, is not themed of hospital is something modern and psychological.
Last edited by getothing on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Andzdrew

Thrillmad wrote:
andzdrew wrote: I've mentioned it before but seeing as someone else brought it up I'll suggest it again, every row of the train seems identical, including the front rail... And each row is joined so loosely there's nearly 2 foot between each row... The optical illusions can't be seen on the front row, which is odd, so I have a strange feeling these cars will split/rejoin to the car infront on the flat section of track before the vertical (launch?)

I was thinking something like an electromagnetic coupling, but the trains aren't powered so not sure... Maybe a special price of track would be the best solution
Hmv

andzdrew wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

I was thinking something like an electromagnetic coupling, but the trains aren't powered so not sure... Maybe a special price of track would be the best solution
This theory could work with an electromagnetic coupling, the cars would have to have electric pickups (which they do for the harnesses anyway). Then the section of track where it was going to happen would have to have power rails (just like station track does). So feeding the car electric is very easy as it is already done.

P.s. this in no way means I think this will happen, I think the cars are just what you see on the surface and nothing more.
AltonTowerfanatic

Hmv wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: How would this work,trick track?
This theory could work with an electromagnetic coupling, the cars would have to have electric pickups (which they do for the harnesses anyway). Then the section of track where it was going to happen would have to have power rails (just like station track does). So feeding the car electric is very easy as it is already done.

P.s. this in no way means I think this will happen, I think the cars are just what you see on the surface and nothing more.

Yes, but as I have stated before JW said you will have to RIDE it to SEE it ;) so the trains coming apart will be able to seen from the ground without even ridding it! Therefore it can't be the secret element of which you have to RIDE to SEE haha I said this before on the note of someone saying maybe the lift hills are the secret but sadly no. :D great idea though, I would love it!! But I do think there is something more interesting with the element!! :Dw
I'm ready to Smile!
Phild94

Could it not just be that the public will only know of 13 inversions and they'll have to ride to see the 14th

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
AltonTowerfanatic

Phild94 wrote: Could it not just be that the public will only know of 13 inversions and they'll have to ride to see the 14th
I trust alton to be better than that....
And it's a SECERT element, they already confirmed that so it's not that haha ;-)
I'm ready to Smile!
Morgano

AltonTowerfanatic wrote:
Phild94 wrote: Could it not just be that the public will only know of 13 inversions and they'll have to ride to see the 14th
And it's a SECERT element, they already confirmed that so it's not that haha ;-)
I think your setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's not much track left to be placed, an inverting peice of track IS an element and being hidden IS secret. If it was mentioned a world first secret element then yes, but it wasn't.

Personally I'm thinking the gap between the vertical lift hill and connecting track is different to the plans. What will happen here I don't know. I'm still in the 15 inversion camp.
undeadarmy

Morgano wrote:
AltonTowerfanatic wrote:
I think your setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's not much track left to be placed, an inverting peice of track IS an element and being hidden IS secret. If it was mentioned a world first secret element then yes, but it wasn't.

Personally I'm thinking the gap between the vertical lift hill and connecting track is different to the plans. What will happen here I don't know. I'm still in the 15 inversion camp.
Erm, no. A hidden inversion is not a World's First, look at all the other SE's and then you'll realise, AT is better than that.
JammyBand

After playing The Smiler game non-stop in an hour long journey, I noticed a few interesting things! Firstly, some people have mentioned 'cages' on the back of the seats. It seems that these are in the game as well.
(The little yellow strips running down the back of the seats.)
Also, the riders in The Smiler game are wearing the actual Smiler staff uniform!

Cool, eh? :moj

Something extra but very exciting!!! I took this screenshot of the game:
Look at the steps! They are multicoloured. To me it looks like the ride exit or after show. Looks special though!
Trisnie

AltonTowerfanatic wrote:
Hmv wrote:
andzdrew wrote: I was thinking something like an electromagnetic coupling, but the trains aren't powered so not sure... Maybe a special price of track would be the best solution

Yes, but as I have stated before JW said you will have to RIDE it to SEE it ;) so the trains coming apart will be able to seen from the ground without even ridding it! Therefore it can't be the secret element of which you have to RIDE to SEE haha I said this before on the note of someone saying maybe the lift hills are the secret but sadly no. :D great idea though, I would love it!! But I do think there is something more interesting with the element!! :Dw
As I have said at the start I could see the cars splitting either at a random time on the track or breaking away on the lift hill

I do however wonder if all the seats will be facing forwards?
clayj

RE : Splitting trains...

I can't see it happening on the ride & i'd be surprised if it did, but the only way I could see this working to any effect worthy of putting on the ride would be during the tunnel under the maintanence shed.

Basically....

You leave the station as 4 rows of 4 seats (4rx4s). You bank through and invert. As the train rights itself you see the back of the train which left before you in the tunnel infront of you. This scares riders (first time) too thinking that the ride has broken down and they are going to crash. Using clever breaking system the train you are on stops (obviously) in enough time to not hit the train infront.. The train infront would be 2rows of 4 seats (2rx4s).

At this stage, the first two rows of your train detach from the back 2 rows & attach to the 4sx2r rows already in the tunnel. As this is happening there is enough effects in the tunnel with lights, smoke, sounds etc to distract the riders. Once this is complete the newly made 4rx4s train leaves up the lift hill leaving the back 2rx4s trains for the next new train dispatched from the station starting the cycle again.

Hope that made sense

Like I say, i doubt this will happen
Last edited by clayj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
aircanman

Is there any chance that there could be a turntable which randomly selects which way the cars will go through the rollercoaster?
gabbygrace

JammyBand

Was literally about post the same thing! So glad the game slightly comfirms the yellow cages theory...now why are they needed?
arsenalfan-1

aircanman wrote: Is there any chance that there could be a turntable which randomly selects which way the cars will go through the rollercoaster?
This would be cool however I don't think it will be because JW said that you have to ride to know what the SE is and everyone will see that some go backwards. That is of course if you mean it to be the SE. :moj
Thanks Lewis97